2D Assets (P-Shrimpy Style)

Forum for game modifications and custom clients.

2D Assets (P-Shrimpy Style)

Postby pistolshrimp » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:27 am

JohnCarver wrote:
2D Art Assets
You know those little inventory objects you look at? They are 40x40 images that can be created in GIMP a completely free http://www.gimp.org/ photoshop-style program. Every new item we implement needs one and we have literally spent thousands of dollars in these few short months keeping our 2D artists busy around the clock. We have hundreds of art assets that are waiting to be drawn on their 'schedule' and I can tell you first-hand that nothing makes me more sad than to be inspired to put in a new mechanic only to have to use and import some stupid 'placeholder' image into the engine simply because our 2D art is behind. Alternatively, many times I simply get a bug up my butt to do something completely different and new that isn't on our development schedule. This means we are void of assets for this 'new' thing and if our art team cannot get to it in time or we can't prioritize it then I'm forced to push it into the next month. There are currently (4) people who fill this position with us on a part-time or full-time basis but every asset the community has donated is one more 'new thing' we have in our art folders. As for the skills in your skill window. Those are 64x64. The buffs on your buff panel? Again 40x40 images. Aside from making sure your images are created in RGB Mode there really is not much to know here. If you have ever looked at a piece of 2D art and thought "Hey I could do this better". Or "This piece really doesn't fit Salem very well" etc. etc. Feel free to play around. We have no problem utilizing your slave labor for the good of Salem. We do have a minimum 'expectation' and general 'art' style. We interviewed 20+ artists before selecting the ones we worked with. You can tell when we are forced to use different ones on different things as our "Skill or "Texture" artist has quite a different 'feel 'than our "icon" artist. If your 'style' is too far out of line with Jorb's or some of our new art please don't be offended if we cannot use it.

So back in the day, another life one might say, I used to do a little graphic design. Mostly some small time stuff for a couple of bands. Any way I'm trying my hand at the 2D Assets but I want see what people think before I submit them. AKA I want to make sure they aren't worse than what we already have.

1/25:
Pearl. This one has been bugging me for a bit. It just seems too pink, like it's a soap bubble. Not sure if anyone feels the same way. If you do which do you think is better?

(current)

or

(mine)

Candy Cane

I don't have one of these, but I have to see it all the time on editing the wiki and it feels out of place with the other cashshop weapons. What do you think?

(current)

(mine)
Last edited by pistolshrimp on Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pistolshrimp

Re: 2D Assets (P-Shrimpy Style)

Postby Thor » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:34 am

I agree that pink pearl looks a bit unrealistic.
saltmummy wrote:You sad sad little man, my heart weeps for you. Better not go outside or your thin, tissue paper like skin might spontaneously rupture while your fragile sensibilities violently shatter spraying salt and urine all over the street.
Thor

Postby Thalendor » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

I don´t like both of the pearls.
The pink one ist just...to pink, but yours looks a little to muddy in my opinion and the old cane looks a bit better then yours.
Your cane simply looks like cut out of a magazine or something.
Maybe you should just scale it a bit bigger.
Thalendor

Postby grapefruitv » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:27 pm

pistolshrimp wrote:Image
(current)

or

(mine)

Changed your pearl a little bit to my taste, hope you don't mind.
grapefruitv

Postby trungdle » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:00 pm

Well pearls can be pink, golden, black, white and blue. I remember golden and blue are hard to obtain though.
You thought I quit.
trungdle

Postby pistolshrimp » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:06 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys, I get the impression I need some improvement.
pistolshrimp

Postby Rifmaster » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:54 pm

pistolshrimp wrote:Image

No plz.
Just keep the candy cane the beautiful thing it already is.
plz

I actually think a bunch of new pearls being added would be great, all with different stats, f.e normal and the other colored ones for CCD and CCP (more CCP/D the rarer the pearl is)
Rifmaster

Postby pistolshrimp » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:09 am

For the talent portion...

6 Occult Books from Lovecraft/Cthulhu Mythos.

Cultes des Goules (Cults of Ghouls) by Comte d'Erlette

De Vermis Mysteriis (Mysteries of the Worm) by Ludwig Prinn

Pnakotic Manuscripts

Necronomicon by Abdul Alhazred

De Furtivis Literarum Notis (On the Secret Symbols of Letters) by Giovanni Battista della Porta

Las Reglas de Ruina (the Laws of Ruin) by Philip of Navarre
Last edited by pistolshrimp on Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
pistolshrimp

Postby JohnCarver » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:15 am

Very Nice!
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

17th Century Fashion

Postby pistolshrimp » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:30 am

Some elements of early 17th Century Fashion for practice and possible use.

Cavalier Cape

King Charles Cape
Hmmm on second thought maybe this one isn't a good idea.

Monmouth Cap
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monmouth_Cap

Cromwell Armour

I also found this when looking around so badass, but above my pay grade:
pistolshrimp

Next

Return to Artifice & Arcana