Houston, We have a problem.

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Houston, We have a problem.

Postby JohnCarver » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:22 am

Salemites,

There is no easy way to say this. So I'll just say it. There was an array of issues with the patch that were indeed outside our realm of expectations. Due to the very sensitive nature of the things this patch altered this has caused the integrity of the game,world,characters etc. to become compromised. The good news is that some situations, can be so terrible that we would have to wipe the entire world, and this is not one of them. The bad news, is that the last backup files we have are indeed from the server restart, and starting immediately we will begin rebuilding Providence from the 1st Minute the patch went live (approx 28 hours ago).

Everything you did in the last 28 hours (21 that hte server was up) will be lost, and will be as if it never happened. Please know that this is not a decision we take lightly. The following is just a small list of mistakes, errors, and general incompetence we exhibited that made us feel that digging a deeper hole was not a wise choice.

*We rolled the values of coal back below 0, thus creating 65,000 pieces of coal in countless coal clamps on the server.
*We didn't tell the existing fields how to behave correctly with the field tending mechanic. Thus causing all your existing fields to not go below 100% upkeep anymore.
*Witches were escaping from stocks.
*Braziers didn't identify their purity correctly causing instances of Braziers throughout the server to be built already starting at 90%+ purity.
*Trial By Combats were exploitable to be ran away from in more than one way.

And most importantly, and the primary reason for this restart, is we jeopardized the entire integrity of the economy. While I greatly appreciate those who reported the bugs as they came in, there comes a time when we can only apply so many bandaids and that time has come. Were we to restore the server now there would be a wealth of items, silver, funds, and duplicated instances of things that would take months to track down, delete, and identify even if such a thing were possible with the level of accuracy we would deem necessary.

We respect your time, and we value every hour that Salemites choose to spend in the world we are choosing to build. Because of that, we will be spending the remainder of our weekend issuing a Mystery hat Box to everybody who joined us for this patch and the days leading up to it. As well as restoring all the store purchases manually that of course are 'lost' as a result of this. We are also taking this time to clean up and fix a wealth of other bugs on a list that was rapidly growing faster than we could deal with it, even in around the clock stewardship.

I greatly apologize for this decision, and can only hope you understand why it is necessary.

So again, When the server goes live, it should be the backup files from yesterday. Everything you did in the last 20 hours will be gone, and everything you purchased from the store will be manually loaded back into your postmaster.

John Carver
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Re: Houston, We have a problem.

Postby Lallaith » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:29 am

:D :D :D :D :D

Good news for us!
Lallaith

Postby JohnCarver » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:33 am

As a point of clarification. The Rollback will indeed FIX all these problems. Nobody will have messed up fields, coal clamps, bankaccounts, etc.etc. as we are taking this time to make sure the EXISTING server plays nicer with our changes than it did the first time.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Turmith » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:34 am

Good news for me. I get my clothes back :P
Turmith

Postby Turmith » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:37 am

course i might be deleted since i din't have a homestead. :?
Turmith

Postby JohnCarver » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:38 am

Everybody who lost stuff due to crashesa nd no homestead etc.e tc. etc. will have their things back.

Nobodies characters will be deleted as a result of this. Except those that were MADE in the last 30ish hours.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby HolyLight » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:40 am

JohnCarver wrote:Everybody who lost stuff due to crashesa nd no homestead etc.e tc. etc. will have their things back.

Nobodies characters will be deleted as a result of this. Except those that were MADE in the last 30ish hours.

So i guess specific players who lost characters will get them back also?

¦]
HolyLight

Postby Yes » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:41 am

We demand more hats the more hours were lost! :!:
(a person who plays online games since the 1980s about salem) laywn wrote:I have never seen anything so down right dirty!
Yes

Postby Lusewing » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:41 am

A hard choice but Im sure its the correct one. Plus 24 hour roll back is much better then a full restart lol. Thanks for all your hard work.
Do not argue with idiots, for they will pull you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Lusewing

Postby Turmith » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:43 am

JohnCarver wrote:Everybody who lost stuff due to crashesa nd no homestead etc.e tc. etc. will have their things back.

Good to know. I appreciate everything your doing. :)
Turmith

Next

Return to Announcements