The List you "should" read before posting...

Forum for suggesting changes to Salem.

The List you "should" read before posting...

Postby nonsonogiucas » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:34 pm

This is an attempt at providing you, eager proposer of many ideas, the means to avoid having your threads totally ignored (when not utterly trolled and derailed) for the fact that "you just re-opened that discussion" for the millionth time (*).

So get yourself together and embrace the power of The List...
- Overly dramatic soundtrack kicking in -

1 Remove Permadeath
JohnCarver wrote:Never.

See this recent thread and this older one for reference

1.b Death Defying Mechanics
Like, for example, life insurance...
JohnCarver wrote:The cost of murder will be adjusted in a way that we will expect to bring much hate and tears. As for the insurance. If you are saying a small fraction of return, then certainly, we are already working on adjusting the inheritance system in that direction. If you are saying FULL restore while some magical insurance policy is active, then absolutely not.

Dev Note: Inheritance has been implemented with Estate Planning giving back a percentage of all proficiencies and humors owned at the time of the planning, and Paying Respects to the grave of the deceased (assuming you recovered the body) allowing even more recovery of proficiencies.

2 Bridges, or any other building over water
MagicManICT wrote:
JinxDevona wrote:Been suggested.

Frequently. Thread closed.

Recently in this thread:
JohnCarver wrote:Already working on it. Bridges are basically a way for a player to convert a water tile to a land tile. I won't go into too much more detail than that, but its in the works.

See this recent thread where water defenses are proposed or search this forum for "bridges"...
Also see this comment from Jorb where he states that a major refactoring of how Salem world map works is needed for bridges to be possible (I believe the explanation also applies to similar structures over land, be warned).

Dev Note: A type of bridge has been implemented, the Mysterious Lilypad. We don't intend to add anything else.

3 Secure Trading
This refers to trading between two players. JohnCarver stated in this post and this post that a revamp of trading stalls already is in the roadmap.

Dev Note: We have made several small changes to stalls to balance them, and may make more in the future, but the basics won't change.

Look into this thread for JohnCarver view on how he thinks the current trade mechanic adds to the uniqueness of the game.

3b Auction Houses
This thread is just the latest of several asking for auction house type mechanics. The dev response has always been:
JohnCarver wrote:Nope

4 Item decay, repair state, tool or clothing consumption
With this recent poll developers have already gathered a whole lot of thoughts and suggestions on the matter that will apparently be stalled for the moment. Feel free to cast your vote if the poll is still open.
TotalyMeow wrote:On a more related note, I think we have enough information to know how we should proceed with an item decay mechanic. One thing we've decided, is that we're going to put off implementing anything in the near future. We also don't want a 'china cabinet' situation; as I mentioned before, if we decide we will add decay, it will be balanced in such a way that your clothing will last a good long while, but it won't be something you do once and then never worry about again.

5 Pathfinding
Has been suggested several times and the response is always
JohnCarver wrote:Lol... no.

Having to steer yourself, especially in combat, is too much a part of Salem to be changed.
This thread is a good example of what suggesting this again will get you.

6 Single Player Mode

No. This is a multiplayer game.

Also, if you haven't still, get yourself acquainted with The Current Development Roadmap in the announcement sections and avoid the embarrassment of proposing something that has already been planned.

7 Marijuana, Hemp, Tobacco

We know you want it. It's been asked for dozens of times. Drugs and tobacco have already been added to Salem and the mechanic may be expanded to hemp/marijuana some day, or it may not, please stop asking.

8 Store EVERYTHING in Stock Bins

Yes, stock bins are nice. You can store huge stacks of things in a tiny area. For that very reason, we won't be adding any more items to stock bins for storage. You do not need to store woodblocks, wood chips, dead turkeys, turkey feathers, inspirationals, or any of the other things you like to hoard in stock bins. We've added all the resources we think should reasonably be stored in a stock bin. If you want to keep mass quantities of these things on hand you'll just have to build sheds.

Link:http://forum.salemthegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13800
Link:http://forum.salemthegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15219#p222253
Original Bin Thread:http://forum.salemthegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12745&hilit=storage

Any help in the construction of The List is highly appreciated. I beg you to use this thread to contribute with ideas and materials, best if in the form of documented links to relevant threads, and nothing else.
Last edited by nonsonogiucas on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:13 am, edited 7 times in total.
I was lucky...
nonsonogiucas

Re: The list you "should" read before posting...

Postby Dallane » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:54 pm

Should find the post jorb made that making bridges of any kind is going to be difficult or impossible with the current game.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby nonsonogiucas » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:57 pm

Dallane wrote:Should find the post jorb made that making bridges of any kind is going to be difficult or impossible with the current game.

I remember someone mentioned that but I still haven't find it, do you remember approximately how old that post could be?
I was lucky...
nonsonogiucas

Postby Icon » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:02 pm

+1 very nice. Bonus points for including citation. Should rename to "How not to get berated in I&I
Icon

Re: The List you "should" read before posting...

Postby TotalyMeow » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:06 pm

http://forum.salemthegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1116&p=11429&hilit=bridge#p12984

I believe this is the thread about bridges where Jorb says the map is 2d, not 3d.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby Dallane » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:06 pm

TotalyMeow wrote:http://forum.salemthegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1116&p=11429&hilit=bridge#p12984

I believe this is the thread about bridges where Jorb says the map is 2d, not 3d.

ah yea thats the thread. thank ya!

I knew it was some sort of bridge thread.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby nonsonogiucas » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:22 pm

TotalyMeow wrote:http://forum.salemthegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1116&p=11429&hilit=bridge#p12984

Thanks, I've added that to the appropriate list item.
I was lucky...
nonsonogiucas

Postby JohnCarver » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:11 pm

Dallane wrote:Should find the post jorb made that making bridges of any kind is going to be difficult or impossible with the current game.

The idea of a different Z axis of travel over something while preserving the integrity of the what is underneath it does in fact sound complicated.

But, we HAVE proposed a solution to make passing over waterways possible that seemed acceptable to SeaTribe and thus have our own solution for "Bridges".
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby nonsonogiucas » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:57 pm

JohnCarver wrote:

The idea of a different Z axis of travel over something while preserving the integrity of the what is underneath it does in fact sound complicated.

But, we HAVE proposed a solution to make passing over waterways possible that seemed acceptable to SeaTribe and thus have our own solution for "Bridges".

Nice!

I get the feeling from your words that this solution is not one we would naturally guess, should I then remove the item "bridges and bridge-like structures" from the The List or is it better to leave it there until we get to know more about it?
I was lucky...
nonsonogiucas

Postby Icon » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:07 pm

Leave it in for now, I get the feeling he's going to say "canoes"
Icon

Next

Return to Ideas & Innovations