Development Roadmap

Announcements of major changes to Salem.

Development Roadmap

Postby JohnCarver » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:18 am

Greetings Salemites,
The new mining system is in and we are pretty much done now cleaning up all the crashes, loose ends, and other issues that we have to deal with that were straggling on. So here is the new roadmap.

I feel like a broken record when I keep saying this, but this next month is a hyper important one and we once again are unwilling to compromise on this system. Mortal Moments has secured what I would consider a 'fair' amount of financing to advertise the game. However, we have no intention of spending all that $$ if at the end of the day we cannot sit back and proudly look at the first 1-2 hours of Salem and say "yeah I think new players will give this game a shot". For that reason, having a near flawless Tutorial and noobie experience is extremely crucial to the final health of Salem come Launch Day.

Now when it got down to it there is A LOT that leaves a player wanting in the first 1-2 hours of Salem that goes far beyond the Tutorial. But here are FEW of the things we are addressing this month:

A brand new tutorial from a hand-crafted world complete with a handful of 'quests' to make sure you learn the game and key systems before being dropped on Providence. BRING THE HATE.
The Default Client
The Loading Screens
The Lack of a Game Manual
The Lack of a map/navigation abilitites
Alt Spam in town

As you can see, this patch has a LOT more to do than just making a few tweaks to the existing tutorial. I hate to be the guy that says "most of what we are doing you cannot see as it is a lot of under-the-hood stuff". BUT..... Most of what we are doing you cannot see as it is a lot of under-the-hood stuff. In addition to this, we still plan to add a few systems to for this upcoming month and continue our push for more content, more monsters, and more skills. So in conclusion, I'm revoking ANY and ALL previous expectations for a release date for this patch. Instead, what I will try to do is push some of these things in 'parts' so that you don't feel like we have abandoned you for an extended period of time. When we have a presentable 'map' situation and solution, I'll try to push that. When the game manual is done, I'll push that too... Etc. etc. etc. The 'main' focus of the patch though will not be completed or dropped until BOTH the Tutorial AND Default client are in working order.

As always, we appreciate your support and hope you are enjoying Salem.

Thanks,
John Carver
Mortal Moments Inc.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Re: Development Roadmap

Postby Brona » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:23 am

:D
Brona

Postby Darwoth » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:23 am

Darwoth

Postby MaxPlanck » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:30 am

Could you go into more details about the Expeditions Carver?

I'm curious as to what it exactly is.
MaxPlanck
Customer

Postby Claeyt » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:32 am

How exactly are you thinking that stall brawl will work? Are stalls going to be townbell based or are they going to all get bought out by one faction like last time? Even townbell based stall systems are going to get abused.

otherwise not bad, not bad at all.
jorb wrote:(jwhitehorn) you are an ungrateful, spoiled child

As the river rolled over the cliffs, my own laughing joy was drowned out by the roaring deluge of the water. The great cataract of Darwoth's Tears fell over and over endlessly.
Claeyt

Postby JohnCarver » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:55 am

MaxPlanck wrote:Could you go into more details about the Expeditions Carver?

I'm curious as to what it exactly is.

That is the one thing we are not talking too much about until we get closer to it. You are free to speculate though, and I will correct where horribly wrong. The general feel of it is that you can buy tickets to an expedition from Providence, at which point you can send a 5/5/5/5 to accomplish a specific goal or task. At said point, players will be able to experience their expedition servers back on Providence until the next one begins.

Claeyt wrote:How exactly are you thinking that stall brawl will work? Are stalls going to be townbell based or are they going to all get bought out by one faction like last time? Even townbell based stall systems are going to get abused.

otherwise not bad, not bad at all.

Loose general concepts at the moment are that stalls will only be active when an item is stored inside your town bell. Said item can be stolen by anybody. Said person who steals it, now owns and operates the stall so long as they place the item in THEIR town bell.

There is a fair bit more to it than that. But the idea is simple enough.

A faction could take over all the stalls, but I have hopes you guys take advantage of the town mechanics changes in this next patch to form some legitimate faction diversity.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby TruthTeller » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:02 am

I know that you are against "free" duels, but implementing such would rapidly increase the rate at which PvP becomes balanced. While you may in theory think that something is balanced, brute force testing by a large amount of players can find flaws that you've missed. The game League of Legends uses a very public test server for this reason to allow a larger group of players test how some theoretical changes turn out in practice.

Unrelated Edit:

"Witches: Where are the witches?
A system designed around false positives. Were you cursed? Or was it simply bad RNG? Better get cured just to be safe."

I am loving your idea. :lol:
TruthTeller

Postby Dallane » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:07 am

nice!
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby JohnCarver » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:08 am

TruthTeller wrote:

We are pretty much certain we want an invisible curse a witch can place on a player that makes slotting break 3X more often than the tool tip suggests to them ¦]

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Feone » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:40 am

JohnCarver wrote:
TruthTeller wrote:

We are pretty much certain we want an invisible curse a witch can place on a player that makes slotting break 3X more often than the tool tip suggests to them ¦]

You're also going to add one that will add this effect going back in time.

I know this because I have been cursed by this for months.
Feone

Next

Return to Announcements