Log-in Screen Lovecraftian creature

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: Log-in Screen Lovecraftian creature

Postby Dallane » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:51 pm

Sevenless wrote:
Superiodity wrote:
Sevenless wrote:Lovecraft also wrote horror science fiction, but that doesn't mean we're getting laser pistols.

Has this been confirmed?

*sighs* No, I've had no word from the devs that we're not getting laser pistols.

Edit: AHA! We've been told we're not getting plastic. So there won't be any *plastic* laser pistols.

what about wooden ones?
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Sevenless » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:06 am

Metal ones are also possible I suppose.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby TotalyMoo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:12 am

And ones made of laser...

I've read some Lovecraft and as far as I have understood Cthulu is kind of the "ultimate God" in all the stories, even if he is not directly in them. Like they are all in the same universe and he is omnipresent - always included on some small corner.

Or have I misunderstood the whole ordeal?
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby Dallane » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:15 am

TotalyMoo wrote:And ones made of laser...

I've read some Lovecraft and as far as I have understood Cthulu is kind of the "ultimate God" in all the stories, even if he is not directly in them. Like they are all in the same universe and he is omnipresent - always included on some small corner.

Or have I misunderstood the whole ordeal?

He is one of the great old ones. There are like 20ish different elder gods i think. If i remember right he is the only one or two imprisoned on earth in the sea.

Been a few years since i read all the stories

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Tylan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:10 pm

Sevenless wrote:Lovecraft also wrote horror science fiction, but that doesn't mean we're getting laser pistols.

Go read your Lovecraft. If anything, it was more horror fantasy without elves and dwarves. Even that term doesn't quite clear it. Lovecraft and his universe have developed an intertwining mythos over the years that transcends Cthulhu and creates more of a Cthulhu-eseque idea. There are a number of directions that the devs could take the idea to, whether it's the reason for Salem's founding, the reason for its location, the reasoning behind the darkness, or the reason why magic exists.

Much like my interest in magic in the game, I'm curious to see how the implementations of Cthulhu/Lovecraft will be used. There have been some vague references/easter eggs to other period inspirationals/items that have had a Lovecraft feel (especially in the descriptions), but I have confidence that the theme can be taken deeper.

Do I personally want the Great Old One Cthulhu to be involved/behind any aspect of Salem? Not necessarily, and the same goes for all the Outer and Elder Gods. BUT, for anyone who has seen the movie Cabin in the Woods, the Lovecraftian concept of Great Old Ones and the lore surrounding Lovecraftian Mythos can really be used to do amazing things.
jorb wrote:you fat-fingered, trigger happy nabbly-boos.

We write as a defense against the void, against the unknown that is the other side of death.
-C. Leland
Tylan

Postby Dallane » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:17 pm

Tylan wrote:Do I personally want the Great Old One Cthulhu to be involved/behind any aspect of Salem? Not necessarily, and the same goes for all the Outer and Elder Gods. BUT, for anyone who has seen the movie Cabin in the Woods, the Lovecraftian concept of Great Old Ones and the lore surrounding Lovecraftian Mythos can really be used to do amazing things.

until jorbtar makes us roll sanity checks and our characters starts killing themselves off for seeing what they shouldn't

Dallane

Postby Superiodity » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:29 pm

Cabin in the woods was a horrible film it was trying to be smart but ended up as just another predictable/boring teen flick.
It's whole gimmick was "you thought we was going to do this because it's in most horror films, but we didn't!" the ending also sucked, you'd think lots of monsters running around would be cool but they just sort of glanced over it and focused on the boring characters.

The whole Chtulu thing has been overdone by this point in my opinion.
Superiodity

Postby Dallane » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:32 pm

Superiodity wrote:The whole Chtulu thing has been overdone by this point in my opinion.

overdone and terrible.

Dallane

Postby Hardsun » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:03 pm

Sevenless wrote:but that doesn't mean we're getting laser pistols.

Thats what less develooped piligrims usually call witchcraft :D
Hardsun

Postby jorb » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:27 pm

Working on it.
jorb

PreviousNext

Return to City upon a Hill