Qualms with Salem

Forum for off topic and general discussion.

Re: Qualms with Salem

Postby Shoi » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:07 am

I agree with Future Content, but geeze man learn some patience. Their working on new content I'm sure, but coding takes time to get things worked out and before they are released. Horses for example are coming out but are being worked on yet. And I never said you wanted quests, I ment as in grinding of end game gear type style of things. Like being the biggest and the best, oh wait you can do that. By again, creating a group of people that work together for a common goal.

[[Sorry if I have a few messed up sentences, I have been slightly ill.]]
Shoi

Postby Sevenless » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:37 am

The major issue we're running into with vanilla client vs modded client is the nature of intense pvp/permadeath. Because your character dies for good, you cannot sacrifice even the smallest advantage having an uglier client gives you. I well respect Loftar's desire to make the game looke like... well a proper game. But from the player viewpoint that's just not acceptable for the vast majority of us.

The only exception to this concept would be if modded clients weren't allowed. If everyone is on the same playing field, we can play in a prettier client and all live with equal disadvantages. But allowing a single modded client and the whole system falls apart into what we have. Sea's of tiles floating in a dark abyss, reflecting the void waiting for us all.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby FunForLife » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:12 am

Sevenless wrote:The only exception to this concept would be if modded clients weren't allowed. If everyone is on the same playing field, we can play in a prettier client and all live with equal disadvantages. But allowing a single modded client and the whole system falls apart into what we have. Sea's of tiles floating in a dark abyss, reflecting the void waiting for us all.

This is not a problem, but more a general decision. If you decide to let the community design the interface they need, just let them. If you decide to not, forbit it! But decide it! Dont waste time in a dead, unplayable default client while the community has build some really much better clients.

Like Blizzard once took the Decision to implement LUA to get a better idea, what the community expects from the interface. From time to time they implemented the most used Addons into the Default-Interface.

Loftar aswell has the chance to track, what most people expect from the Clients and use this information. But doing little changes on the cam like he did is wasted time. Better go out and have some drinks, then coding on default client at the moment! Just wait until you clearly know what is expected by the Community and then code a new client or leave this for 3rd Partys.
FunForLife

Postby Dallane » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:32 am

FunForLife wrote:Loftar aswell has the chance to track, what most people expect from the Clients and use this information. But doing little changes on the cam like he did is wasted time. Better go out and have some drinks, then coding on default client at the moment! Just wait until you clearly know what is expected by the Community and then code a new client or leave this for 3rd Partys.

How would he not know? With this and hnh there is a fairly good idea of what ppl want.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby FunForLife » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:26 pm

Dallane wrote:How would he not know? With this and hnh there is a fairly good idea of what ppl want.

hnh was a really small and special community. If he is only prepared for that, he needs to get a second job for his income and no multiple servers... ;)

The default Client and the less use shows that he doesn´t know or just isn´t interested in. If he doesn´t know he should do whats written several times before and if he just dont cares, he shouldn´t waste any time in small changes on the Client, cuz noone will use a slightly less suckin client. Thats all whats mentioned in here!

Focus on Content and if Default Client should be updated, ask community what they really want! :roll:
FunForLife

Postby Sevenless » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:58 am

FunForLife wrote:just isn´t interested

Trust me, it's this.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby FunForLife » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:09 am

Sevenless wrote:
FunForLife wrote:just isn´t interested

Trust me, it's this.

Must be hard frustrating, to code a lot for a client he only uses by himself. ¦]
FunForLife

Postby Shedy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:15 pm

i Agree with Fun at almost every Point, but using a Custom Client , made by another Developer is risky.
I don't know why, but my Password from my main Account got hacked/changed ... or whatever, i talked to TotalyMoo and he promised it wasn him and i have to talk to loftar about my issue (he seems to be busy rightnow so i couldn't talk with him about it)

So actually i don't really feel safe using 3rd party Clients since they can manipulate a lot of Stuff.
Shedy

Postby staxjax » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:18 pm

Dunno bout APXEOLOG, but I'm sure that Ender's client is trust worthy...been using his clients forever in HnH and Salem. I would trust APXEOLOG, but him and his crew are notorious for 'exploiting' game mechanics without reporting them...
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby baronbowden » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:19 pm

Shedy,

Another GREAT illustration about how important it is that the default client get the love it needs and deserves so people will actually use it if the game is to be successful.

B
baronbowden

PreviousNext

Return to City upon a Hill