Advice for newbies looking for a group

Look for a group to play with here.

Advice for newbies looking for a group

Postby kalacia » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:36 pm

Hello peeps,

I feel that newbies may need a little info on deciding if they should join a group, as it can be a litle bit of a minefield. I have played haven a fair bit, and played in a few groups there, i been bitten a few times, but I can say that when you find a good group… its probably the most rewarding part of the game. As, in my opinion true newbies should not really be starting a group (risks are too high IMHO) I will detail how you can join one and steps to take to maximize your chances of joining a usefull group and how to find one. (ill also try and post other peoples tips at the bottom, any help is good help)

Step 1 - Browse the forums
GO YOU! You have completed a step already, your well on your way to being in a group!
Read some posts, post some yourself. Some groups will look at your forum activity and see what type of posts you make. This will also help with step 2.

Step 2 - Learn a little about the game
Read a bit of the wiki… you don’t need to be a guru, but lack of knowledge means you could be hard work for a group. Fact is a lot of newbies will stop playing with the group, or Salem… you may not be worth the investment. So get a bit of knowledge under your belt, learn some skills. To show you can be productive, even if you do quit Salem, or the group after a few days.

Step 3 – Read the recruitment threads.
You will see all kinds of threads, from serious ones giving you a lot of information about the group… To well, useless ones that have about three words in leet speak. Its up to you what one you pick. And what one group you think you would enjoy. Have a read though how other people are doing it, some will want full blown applications, some may want a PM of interest… read the initial thread and make your judgement.
Have a read though many, check what server they are on and see if you like the way they talk. Put a post on the thread showing your interest. This is not a job interview, be yourself :) Then drop them a PM and see how it plays out.

Step 4 – Closing the deal and expectations
Be honest with what you expect and what you can do in the PMs, and in return they should be honest with you. Don’t expect to be given the best, or anything for that matter strait away... right now they owe you nothing, and you owe them nothing. You need to show them you’re not a greifer, this may take time… stick with it. Give them your help, and you should get it in return.
Give it a few days, if you don’t like it, or its not working out. Tell them and move on… depending on the group will depend on how they react. Keep in mind, you can always make a new toon and start again. A day or two lost here is not a big deal.
If it works out, enjoy… you have just made new friends :)

General tips

A lot of people will be in the same position as you are. Worried to make first contact. If you do want to do so in game, use a alt.. get chatting and see where it leads.

If you have a hermit close by, but don't full trust him/her, give them a little help with items that you have plenty of... they may be happy for the help and give you items they have plenty of. You dont need to settle together to play in a group.

If you are in a group, and some food is out of your boxes, don't over react. if you do, you may find yourself out on your ass... but instead, ASK if anybody took it... If you have a nice group, it will probably be replaced within a few hours.

Some villages may have adult/vulgre language, if you dont like that... then please ask about this on the initial PM. And if you forget or the language is not to your taste, dont go ape ****. Just politly say your goodbyes and move on. Dont act like a child, its likly to end badly.. for you

boytagbat wrote:I think if you've been a hermit for a while its good also to mention your current stats/skills, for groups who have specific tasks for each people e.g. farming,etc. This way you can increase the chances you get recruited if you have what they need.
*mention your gaming time+time zone
*and check their environment/resources before joining so that you have resources for whatever job they want you to do.

AAlex wrote:Something as simple as using decent spelling and grammar will help you on your way, most successful communities will be looking for someone competent, so you won't be getting too many responses for recruitment for som1 whu typ lik dis.

thearosen wrote:Try to be "active" that doesn't mean a 24/7 nerd but a lot of groups want someone whos online more than 3 hours a week. Be honest, tell them how long you are normally on a day and chances of something happening like work calling you in so you won't be able to play some days. If you lie, it might make some of the bigger groups mad (I think, never had this problem myself) and you'll end up out on your own and possibly if it's a raider group, killed for the hassle and lies. Just my 2cents worth.

MagicManICT wrote:Sometimes smaller numbers of players are very committed to what they do. If you promise as part of joining that you'll get X done a week, whether you can be on 10 hrs a week or 40, you better have it done. You probably won't like the consequences as these folks can sometimes can be very vengeful on people they think are trying to be less than honest.

**edited the quote a little, to keep the flow, as it made a reference to a previous paragraph but wanted to give magicman the credit for a good point :)

RuneNL wrote:Also: NEVER post your homestead secret in public!
Use your smarts and gut feeling and take your time to find out if you can trust someone with/on your claim.

Personally, I rather do this early on when I have little to lose or when I'm not sure I would test the waters with an alt.

saffgee wrote:Actually I think Boston is a reasonable place to strike up a few conversations if you try and trade a bit now and again. As a noob I got some items for free, some silver, etc from much more established players after engaging them in conversation and asking questions, trying to trade. There are always a few people around and most are decent enough folk. Trusting them is another thing though; convo yes by all means, following or leaving Boston with them or sharing your HS, that's a NO.

Hopefully this helps people :)
Last edited by kalacia on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 9 times in total.
kalacia

Re: Advice for newbies looking for a group

Postby malaclypse » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:49 pm

Good advice!

This is definitely the most challenging game in terms of meeting people that I've played. I've got one neighbor who seems to be pretty legit. Time will tell.

Thanks for posting and helping out the noobs.

- Tuck
malaclypse

Postby boytagbat » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:14 pm

*I think if you've been a hermit for a while its good also to mention your current stats/skills, for groups who have specific tasks for each people e.g. farming,etc. This way you can increase the chances you get recruited if you have what they need.
*mention your gaming time+time zone
*and check their environment/resources before joining so that you have resources for whatever job they want you to do.
boytagbat
Customer

Postby AAlex » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:28 pm

Some good tips here :) also something as simple as using decent spelling and grammar will help you on your way, most successful communities will be looking for someone competent, so you won't be getting too many responses for recruitment for som1 whu typ lik dis.
''We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.'' - Sir Winston Churchill
AAlex

Postby kalacia » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:58 pm

Thanks for extra input guys/gals, i think the hardest part in the game for newbies is getting a group and not knowing what to expect. Hopefully a few new guys will read this and not get scammed... or at least if they do, know that it happens and to knuckle down and learn from it.
kalacia

Postby logan » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:10 pm

kalacia wrote:Thanks for extra input guys/gals, i think the hardest part in the game for newbies is getting a group and not knowing what to expect. Hopefully a few new guys will read this and not get scammed... or at least if they do, know that it happens and to knuckle down and learn from it.

Thought it was great you started this thread :D
much needed imo
logan

Postby thearosen » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:24 pm

kalacia wrote:Hello peeps...

Good post, good advice. +1 on this. I would also add this though, try to be "active" that doesn't mean a 24/7 nerd but a lot of groups want someone whos online more than 3 hours a week. Be honest, tell them how long you are normally on a day and chances of something happening like work calling you in so you won't be able to play some days. If you lie, it might make some of the bigger groups mad (I think, never had this problem myself) and you'll end up out on your own and possibly if it's a raider group, killed for the hassle and lies. Just my 2cents worth.

Lasted edited by AAlex
Reason: Dat quote.
thearosen

Postby AAlex » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:20 pm

Stickied!

Thanks for the thread and I hope you keep adding to it kalacia. ;)
Lets have some more idea's and tips from the rest of the forum also!
''We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.'' - Sir Winston Churchill
AAlex

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:46 pm

thearosen wrote:I would also add this though, try to be "active" that doesn't mean a 24/7 nerd but a lot of groups want someone whos online more than 3 hours a week. Be honest, tell them how long you are normally on a day and chances of something happening like work calling you in so you won't be able to play some days. If you lie, it might make some of the bigger groups mad

I'm not sure if you mean "bigger" by population or by reputation. If the former, they tend not to get mad unless what you've said you'll do doesn't stay done. Even if you're the farmer and you can't pull a full load one week, there will often be a couple others around to help out and carry the load. Just don't do this too frequently or you may find yourself booted unexpectedly (and anything personal likely lost).

If by latter, sometimes these are smaller numbers of players and they're very committed to what they do. If you promise as part of joining that you'll get X done a week, whether you can be on 10 hrs a week or 40, you better have it done. You probably won't like the consequences as these folks can sometimes can be very vengeful on people they think are trying to be less than honest.

(And please, please, please edit down those quotes. We don't need to see the entirety of the first post just for a few lines of a reply. Quote the appropriate section(s) only.)
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby thearosen » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:20 pm

MagicManICT wrote:(And please, please, please edit down those quotes. We don't need to see the entirety of the first post just for a few lines of a reply. Quote the appropriate section(s) only.)

It was, I was adding to the entirety. Also I meant bigger as in reputation, aka the more dedicated operations.
thearosen

Next

Return to Planters & Pilgrims