Simple Trading Tips on getting started.

Forum for In-Game trades and deals.

Simple Trading Tips on getting started.

Postby rogoku » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:02 pm

colesie wrote:A note to all traders and buyers: Only PM forum accounts for trades, even IRC can be risky if your trader hasn't registered their nickname or someone chooses a similar name. I'd suggest making some sort of code word for the trade through PMs (change it every time you trade). Establish where to meet for the trade, and what your characters will be wearing before trading and then ask for the code word discussed through your PMs. This is likely the best way of trading at the moment as you cannot trust ingame names at all.

Hello, some people might be wondering, how to get business during trading, etiquette and other stuff about starting a shop.

First I'm going to talk about good examples, vs bad examples of shops. The threads should explain themselves.

Good Examples:
http://forum.salemgame.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=167 This thread, has neat graphics, and a good name. This will bring in more people then most other threads.
http://forum.salemgame.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=108 This thread does not have graphics, but has a good name, and is neatly organised.

Bad Example:
http://forum.salemgame.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19 This thread has almost no information, only 1 thing offered, not a good name, and is not very professional.

So how do YOU get graphics for your shop? How do you come up with a name? This will be covered in the next section

Pictures:
There are two ways to go about getting pictures, and is up to you to choose, there are a lot more ways too, but these are the fastest.

The "Droj" method:
Step 1. Go to The Trading Icons thread
Step 2. Search for the items you are selling
Step 3. Right click the picture, and choose copy image location
Step 4. Press the IMG BB code button, and paste the link you just copied in there
Step 5. Make sure the pictures work
Step 6. Say thanks to Droj for his work

The self capture method:

Step 1. Download puush or any other image capture software (Puush is fast, small download, and will keep your pictures online forever.)
Step 2. Capture the selected area around the item
Step 3. Right click the picture in a browser, and select copy image location
Step 4. Press the IMG BB code button and past the link you just copied in there.

Now lets go onto naming

The first thing you need to know, is there are no rules on naming your shop, but there are a few tips.

1. No racism, as that will not help you get business
2. Include some catchy word, helps if it is some kind of shop, bazaar, trade,supercenter ETC
3. Include something that will help people understand what you sell, do you hunt, do you fish, is it metal?

Hopefully those tips will get you some attention.

Now some things to include in your thread

1. Names of items and prices
2. Pictures
3. How to contact you
4. IRC name
5. If you are out, or not buying something temporarily.

Now that you have all those tips and tricks under your belt you might be wondering, when do I start trading? Well here are the basic things you will need

1. At least 5 things to sell
2. Something to buy
3. At least 100-200 silver
4. Decent supply of what you are selling
5. A friendly attitude
6. Able to check the other shops for prices, and adjust accordingly.
7. Easy access to Boston, and stuff you are selling. (People don't like waiting to long, but metal things and leathers are made to order, so just don't take to long in doing it)

TRADE PROTOCOL
Trade is sacred in Salem, and should be treated as such. Follow these protocols and you have less of a chance of being scammed.

1. For first time traders have them PM you on the forums.
2. Get both people in Boston both with the items and silver.
3. For trades needing more then one inventory full, make them pay you in increments.
4. Give the items, and get the silver.

(Some people might ask for you to show items, or silver first, just co-operate.)

Community Tips:

1."
Multiple language support helpful, especially if you speak russian. English fluency is very helpful of course (not entirely required). Time availability is pretty important, having large blocks of time for trading open makes it much easier to get business." -Svenless

Enjoy trading pilgrim!
Last edited by rogoku on Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I have no signature.
rogoku

Re: Simple Trading Tips on getting started.

Postby Yasso » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:07 pm

Yasso approves!
This should be a sticky imo!
Yasso

Postby Sevenless » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:33 pm

Multiple language support helpful, especially if you speak russian. English fluency is very helpful of course (not entirely required). Time availability is pretty important, having large blocks of time for trading open makes it much easier to get business. Always always memorize and name people you trade with that you meet in game before trading to prevent being suckered twice.

Just what I can think of off the top of my head. Some more headings and fonting/colouring/sizing based organization would help the legibility if you feel up to it :)

Imgur based pictures of your examples would be a good idea so that your examples continue to exist even if the thread is deleted (this often happens on death/rage quits). You can also embed your links to tidy up that section a little more.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Vigilance » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:42 pm

puush deletes your images after a while, i am pretty damn sure.

my haven and hearth sig used to have naowhut's quote as a picture from skype. it poofed a month later or so.

cannot into hyperdesktop?

also puush is faggy and i will personally kill anyone who uses it in front of me
Suffragium wrote:I love sausages.
Vigilance

Postby painhertz » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:00 am

Vigilance wrote:puush deletes your images after a while, i am pretty damn sure.

my haven and hearth sig used to have naowhut's quote as a picture from skype. it poofed a month later or so.

cannot into hyperdesktop?

also puush is faggy and i will personally kill anyone who uses it in front of me

Puush ***** rules and I'll break your virtual jaw for saying otherwise. :(
"since i am in my 30s and could probably throw you across the room"

"Porky" Darwoth: Confusing reality and video games since 2012.......
painhertz

Postby TotalyMoo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:17 pm

Putting this as a sticky, well written Rogoku.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby rogoku » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:52 pm

Thanks, If anyone has some other programs for getting images, or banners, (Something I'm not personally good at) That might help some people out.
I have no signature.
rogoku

Postby Yasso » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:56 pm

Lol guys...use hyper desktop, imgur is better...
Yasso

Postby sabinati » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:56 pm

rogoku wrote:The wiki method:
Step 1. Go to http://www.salemwiki.info
Step 4. Press the IMG BB code button, and paste the link you just copied in there

I'd really prefer if people didn't hotlink images from the wiki.
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby Sevenless » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:03 pm

sabinati wrote:
rogoku wrote:The wiki method:
Step 1. Go to http://www.salemwiki.info

I'd really prefer if people didn't hotlink images from the wiki.

If someone was *reaaaally* nice. They would imgur link all images of commonly tradeable items and make a post in the trade section. They would probably get a sticky for it if it was well done I'd think.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Next

Return to The Trade-Wind