Do tyrants always win in Salem?

Forum for In-Game politics, relations and matters of justice.

Re: Do tyrants always win in Salem?

Postby L33LEE » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:03 pm

They could impliment a feature were if a waste claim is placed over a village, the village could pay tribute to the attacking village within the allotted time before it becomes active, it could force the despawn of the waste claim, and make it so the paticular village(attacking village) attached to the waste claim goes on an active cooldown were they cannot spawn another waste claim for 7 days or something.

So if you want to chain waste claim a defending village you would need multipul attacking villages, upto 7 if you intend to drain them of all silver/resources. (hard for a soloer, but with some friends / other groups is quite possible)

Its hard to put a cost onto this tribute and unsure if it would be even feasable. Could be a combination of silver and or raw / crafted materials or items randomly chosen determined on village size. The attacking village gains almost nothing of the tribute paid, so bullying villages for tribute resources is not possible, yet if you intend to eraze a village from the map it would require some extra effort yet it also gives a peacefull solution for defense, at the cost of time trying to gather the items required.

Tribute paid in City center.

This allows raiders to raid villages (if you can force it), peacefull defenders to defend without combat, and people without a village to be easy pickings still. Also should make people think more of building in groups if they wish to raid and or just play the game on a higher level than just a hermit, it also gives a dedicated hermit with a single bell no expansion SOME leway on defending even against a small group of raiders.

Just thinking out loud at what people seem to be complaining about.

EDIT: If multipul villages are under a single waste claim, If 1 of the villages pays the tribute, the village and structures inside become imminue, and ALL villages inside must pay the tribute before it is despawned. Also note, Even after the waste claim has become active and people are raiding, if the tribute is paid, there becomes a 1h timer shown on the waste claim counting down. So the raiding village would need to keep that extra close eye on the waste claim.

Meh
Retribution ~ Death comes to those who wait.

Wishy for Mod - http://forum.salemthegame.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7783
L33LEE

Postby darnokpl » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:10 pm

L33LEE wrote:They could impliment a feature were if a waste claim is placed over a village, the village could pay tribute to the attacking village within the allotted time before it becomes active, it could force the despawn of the waste claim, and make it so the paticular village(attacking village) attached to the waste claim goes on an active cooldown were they cannot spawn another waste claim for 7 days or something.

So if you want to chain waste claim a defending village you would need multipul attacking villages, upto 7 if you intend to drain them of all silver/resources. (hard for a soloer, but with some friends / other groups is quite possible)

No, on roa after waste claims patch was up people started to build many towns, so it won't work well.
darnokpl

Postby L33LEE » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:16 pm

darnokpl wrote:
L33LEE wrote:They could impliment a feature were if a waste claim is placed over a village, the village could pay tribute to the attacking village within the allotted time before it becomes active, it could force the despawn of the waste claim, and make it so the paticular village(attacking village) attached to the waste claim goes on an active cooldown were they cannot spawn another waste claim for 7 days or something.

No, on roa after waste claims patch was up people started to build many towns, so it won't work well.

That is extra effort and quite a chunk of silver to build and upkeep 7 bells, just to bring down a single village, with the extra cost of the waste claim itself (do you know how they actually work, they massivly drain the attacking villages bell of silver), im quite certain a small group of 3-4 very powerfull raiders would NEVER take down a group of 20 crafters / gatherers, and so it SHOULD be like this with this machanic.

However, talking of all this, no one knows how strong defences will be under the new Soft-cap the reworked gluttony will be. So its all pointless.

L33LEE

Postby darnokpl » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:22 pm

L33LEE wrote:
That is extra effort and quite a chunk of silver to build and upkeep 7 bells, just to bring down a single village, with the extra cost of the waste claim itself (do you know how they actually work, they massivly drain the attacking villages bell of silver), im quite certain a small group of 3-4 very powerfull raiders would NEVER take down a group of 20 crafters / gatherers, and so it SHOULD be like this with this machanic.

However, talking of all this, no one knows how strong defences will be under the new Soft-cap the reworked gluttony will be. So its all pointless.

I am sure that group of 3-4 people with 500$ on salem shop after wipe can buy enough stalls to earn enough silver and after one month they can raid one town every week with this mechanic and every non-military-town will fall.

L33LEE wrote:However, talking of all this, no one knows how strong defences will be under the new Soft-cap the reworked gluttony will be. So its all pointless.

That is why I've starded thread in I&I with, I think, different approach to siege mechanic.
darnokpl

Postby L33LEE » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:55 pm

darnokpl wrote:
L33LEE wrote:

I am sure that group of 3-4 people with 500$ on salem shop after wipe can buy enough stalls to earn enough silver and after one month they can raid one town every week with this mechanic and every non-military-town will fall.

L33LEE wrote:However, talking of all this, no one knows how strong defences will be under the new Soft-cap the reworked gluttony will be. So its all pointless.

That is why I've starded thread in I&I with, I think, different approach to siege mechanic.

sounds like you need to get back to basics, stalls will be only one method of item sales, do you not remember plymouth in the old days ? I could unload 100's of bars in a matter of hours from shouting and forum searching. Why undercutting the stall owners by a small %, and avoid the tax. Oh well.

L33LEE

Postby aprevite » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:31 pm

iamah wrote:
aprevite wrote:If you don’t enjoy it, you should play something else.

That's exactly why the servers were reaching single digits population: everyone was playing something else...quote]

I have to disagree about why the servers went to single digits. If you wanted to play peacefully on Plymouth you could. My wife and I started playing in late-November on Plymouth. We paid the treaty and never found ourselves short on silver. By the end of December, we had developed a complete town to ourselves. I never even built a single brazier. I had problems with a neighbor, who didn’t pay treaty, and the Tribe took care of it (my tax..er treaty.. silvers at work). I never left a scent of broke the law because I just wanted to explore the game mechanics and build. I was a peaceful player who was never bothered by what may would consider tyrants. In fact, the Tribe treated us far less tyrannically than the United States government or the State of California does (and cheaper too. Treaty was like <5% of our income. Not the 50%+ I’m paying to feed a bunch of deadbeat hippies but I digress.)

I would suggest the servers go to single digits for others reasons. My belief is human nature is to blame. Regardless of one’s play-style (builder, raider, etc.), we all have ego’s and are competitive by our very nature. When our individual psyche determines we can’t win, we go elsewhere to begin the cycle anew. In real-life, there is nowhere else to go so we endure. The server populations always have very long tails, as this is a derivative of human nature. In other games, the PvE challenge manifests in a series of difficult challenges (e.g. new content) to maintain player longevity (Think world of Warcraft). PvP has arenas or similar mechanics. Permadeath games are for different personality types. I expect on the new server I will die and rebuild many times but I’m going to be one of the single digit people at the end. If you can’t win, keeping others from winning is just as good :D
aprevite

Postby pistolshrimp » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:30 pm

Not since the rebellion have we had some many complaints about the tyrants "winning." I believe the old response, and probably the most appropriate one is "if you don't like it do something about it."

A tyrannical victory is only assured so long as no one does anything to stop it.
pistolshrimp

Postby Cheena » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:39 pm

That works for anything.
Trust your enemies more than your friends. Your enemies will never betray you.
loftar wrote:***** the treaty.

(Note: Citation is severely out of context.)
Cheena

Previous

Return to House of Burgesses