MM Tribe Constructs CageFighting Ring

Forum for In-Game politics, relations and matters of justice.

Re: MM Tribe Constructs CageFighting Ring

Postby Absolut » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:40 pm

TotalyMoo wrote:
Absolut wrote:
masau wrote:Being a raider and being a griefer are two different things. A raider raids and kills for profit. A griefer raids/kills for the lulz.

EDIT: For the record, I personally find "the lulz" to be the best (and only) reason to do anything and everything.

A griefer is a person who causes grief, which is precisely what raiders do and there is no shame in doing so, it is just a natural aspect of intentionally destroying and taking what other people built up and collected.

"A griefer is a player in a multiplayer video game who deliberately irritates and harasses other players within the game, using aspects of the game in unintended ways."

"Someone, usually in an online game, who intentionally, and usually repeatedly, attempts to degrade anothers experience or torment them."

No, not in game context it is not.

A carebear wrote that explanation of what a griefer is.

Which is clearly shown through the "using aspects of the game in unintended ways", so yeah definitely a carebear.
Absolut

Postby Droj » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:43 pm

derp
***** the Treaty!
loftar wrote:I not like, you not get
Droj

Postby TotalyMoo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:45 pm

So every person that has written a definition of griefer is a carebear? I'm not quite following.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPoKaoJu0m4 <-- Typical and classic example of griefing.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby masau » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:48 pm

No, a griefer is someone who goes out of their way to cause grief - in games like this, often without profit or at a loss. This game lends itself to griefing and blurs the line much more than most games do, but still, there is a difference between griefing and simply raiding.

By your definition any time my 26 year old fanboy friend kills a 12 y/o in halo he is griefing (rather than just killing kids in a lame game). After all, that 12 y/o is probably raging about getting killed. Unless my friend goes out of his way to target said 12 y/o for the sole purpose of upsetting him, it's not griefing.

Wait...so the carebare is the person who says misusing game mechanics is griefing? But you, who insists that all raiders are griefers, aren't a carebear?
Last edited by masau on Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
masau

Postby Absolut » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:49 pm

TotalyMoo wrote:So every person that has written a definition of griefer is a carebear? I'm not quite following.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPoKaoJu0m4 <-- Typical and classic example of griefing.

I can only speak for the examples I've seen. Formulations such as "using aspects of the game in unintended ways" points towards that they don't really understand what a griefer is and demonize them. Which people are likely to demonize their assailants? Well, the victims, and most likely carebear victims.
Absolut

Postby Droj » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:49 pm

Chief PeePooKaKa = Griefer

That Russian dude = Raider.

Difference, see it? ¦]
***** the Treaty!
loftar wrote:I not like, you not get
Droj

Postby TotalyMoo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:51 pm

masau wrote:No, a griefer is someone who goes out of their way to cause grief - in games like this, often without profit or at a loss. This game lends itself to griefing and blurs the line much more than most games do, but still, there is a difference between griefing and simply raiding.

By your definition any time my 26 year old fanboy friend kills a 12 y/o in halo he is griefing (rather than just killing kids in a lame game). After all, that 12 y/o is probably raging about getting killed. Unless my friend goes out of his way to target said 12 y/o for the sole purpose of upsetting him, it's not griefing.

Wait...so the carebare is the person who says misusing game mechanics is griefing? But you, who insists that all raiders are griefers, aren't a carebear?

This explained it kinda good.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby Absolut » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:54 pm

masau wrote:No, a griefer is someone who goes out of their way to cause grief - in games like this, often without profit or at a loss. This game lends itself to griefing and blurs the line much more than most games do, but still, there is a difference between griefing and simply raiding.

By your definition any time my 26 fanboy friend kills a 12 y/o in halo he is griefing (rather than just killing kids in a lame game). After all, that 12 y/o is probably raging about getting killed. Unless my friend goes out of his way to target said 12 y/o for the sole purpose of upsetting him, it's not griefing.

Without profit or at a loss are irrelevant to whether someone or not is a griefer. The question of relevance is: does he cause grief?

Halo is a FPS where I don't think anyone would feel grief over getting killed. Which leads to the next question: is it "bad" to be a griefer? Also, feeling rage is not the same thing as feeling grief.
Absolut

Postby Superiodity » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:57 pm

The "problem" is that when you've reached a certain progression point and playing solo, you'll be wondering around and see many camps that don't have walls but also have nothing of value, but then you realise that those with thing's of value live in huge villages or are protected by multiple walls so the new/weak players are just easy picking for anyone wandering around bored.
So people have the choice of picking on the weak (griefing), committing suicide and going for big villages or just not raiding.
Most people will choose to pick on the weak.

I personally had a great a start since I found somebodies left over base but I feel sorry for those that don't even have walls or enough silver to claim their land.

(Don't see what any of this has to do with the cage fighting ring)
Superiodity

Postby Absolut » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:00 pm

Also, I realize now that I am wrong about raiders. There are raiders who are not griefers; namely those who do not intend to cause grief and simultaneously target people who they know wouldn't feel grief.

So, if you really just want to get richer and you target people like coonman who evidently bounces back everytime and probably doesn't feel griefed by people raiding him, it is possible that it is not griefing.
Absolut

PreviousNext

Return to House of Burgesses