Agriculture Questions

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Agriculture Questions

Postby kelset » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:59 pm

I've been getting into farming recently, and I have a few questions on topics I'm still a little fuzzy about.

1. If I start a field with 0% purity cereal and fertilize with one 15% purity dross, what is the expected outcome? Would it be 15%? Or somewhere in between? If the latter, would more dross move it toward 15%?
2. If I start a field and never fertilize over a few cycles, do the crops naturally increase in purity? Is this the result of the seeds themselves getting better, or does the field actually get better?
3. Does the five humus used to prepare a field have any affect on the purity of the crops?
4a. If I harvest a few cereal fields and receive a few, say, 5% purity hay, and then place the hay in a new, never-been-used compost bin, will it generate 5% humus?
4b. If this is this case, does potting a gardening pot with higher quality humus affect the purity of items grown?
5. Is there a way to get higher purity fertilizer, like lime and woodchips? Are there parts of the world that naturally have higher purity objects?
6. Does the timer on crop growth stop when the server is down?

I think that's all for now. I read on a few posts here with some discussions on the affects of different qualities of fertilizers, and frankly, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the whole purity thing, so I think answers to these questions would really help. Thank you very much for your help!
kelset

Re: Agriculture Questions

Postby Potjeh » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:37 pm

1) Fertilizer supposedly has 1/6 weight in the crop purity, the rest being seed.
2) Yes. There is a certain degree of randomness in either direction, so you can raise purity via selective breeding. It's all in the seeds, fields themselves are irrelevant.
3) No.
4a) Yes.
4b) Yes
5) No.
6) Yes.
Potjeh

Postby kelset » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:47 pm

Thanks! That helps a lot.
kelset

Postby kfv7 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:52 pm

I have another agriculture question. Using dross as a fertilizer it give +10% speed - 10% plenty to a field. This stats changes by the purity of the dross used or not?
kfv7

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:57 pm

No. Fertilizer effects are not effected by any purity mechanics.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby staxjax » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:06 pm

Nevermind, misinterpreted MagicMan's answer.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:11 pm

Guess I stated that poorly. Fertilizing values aren't effected by purity mechanics.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Return to Help!