Brazier Distance confirmation

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Brazier Distance confirmation

Postby Tylan » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:59 pm

Hello all :)

I was just wondering if anyone could confirm the effective range of a brazier. The Wiki states a range of 6 tiles but Sevenless's guide states a radius of 10. Anyone know which is correct?
jorb wrote:you fat-fingered, trigger happy nabbly-boos.

We write as a defense against the void, against the unknown that is the other side of death.
-C. Leland
Tylan

Re: Brazier Distance confirmation

Postby Sevenless » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:03 pm

Well I obviously believe my range is a good rough guess from Pre-Com Beta.

The way it worked when we tested it is ~10 tile range, but the activating brazier could also somehow grab nearby braziers and get them to also attack the criminal. The additional braziers were quite literally hitting from ~15-20 tiles away from the spot where the crime was being committed.

My best guess at how it works is that the activating brazier can also get help from any other brazier whose range overlaps with the brazier that starts attacking the criminal at any point.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Un1ted » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:40 pm

But what is the range at which they overlap?
Un1ted

Postby Sevenless » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:17 pm

Your guess good sir is as good as mine. I haven't done testing on it since due to the fact that my village is not currently in the business of raiding.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Un1ted » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:11 pm

Surely 'tis so, however shouldst not the protection against raiders weigh heavily upon the minds of good puritans in these troubling times?
Un1ted

Postby Sevenless » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:23 pm

I just treat braziers like peanut butter, the more the better.
Sevenless

Postby Tonkyhonk » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:41 am

Sevenless wrote:I just treat braziers like peanut butter, the more the better.

and most of us who read what jorb said with this implementation know that "the more the better" isnt devs intension.
either testers havent really understood the real mechanics or devs havent really understood how they are working.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:24 am

Tonkyhonk wrote:
Sevenless wrote:I just treat braziers like peanut butter, the more the better.

and most of us who read what jorb said with this implementation know that "the more the better" isnt devs intension.
either testers havent really understood the real mechanics or devs havent really understood how they are working.

Actually, I would say that it is according to a post by jorb himself. After all, they are on a diminishing curve the more "turrets" (using this term as you have both braziers and torchposts with potentially other "active defense" mechanisms added in the future) are clustered in an area. There is a limit to how many turrets you can cram into a space, though, and they do take up space. Plus, they need to be accessed to be refueled after they have performed their duty, so stacking them 5 deep and 20 wide isn't an effective solution.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Sevenless » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:43 am

After 5-6 active braziers beating on a raider, the additional damage of adding more turrets is rather negligible according to jorb (roughly my interpretation). However, braziers A) look scary and B) the more you use the less coal they use per shot.

It's a little convoluted, but basically a brazier deducts coal based on the amount of BB damage it deals from what I can tell. The more braziers you have, the longer they can spend attacking people for the amount of fuel they can hold.

My defensive solution, multiple layers of walls ~10-20 spaces apart, braziers every 5 tiles along those walls. If you can't increase the damage on em much, force them to take fire longer on the way in/out where possible instead. Honestly not sure if braziers proc on the way in, but forcing them to take more damage on the way out certainly reduces their ability to do stuff in your base while under fire.

Edit: The current defensive system can't be the long term solution. Jorbtar know this and I'm sure they're figuring out what next essentially.
Sevenless

Postby Glennfinnan » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:38 pm

Sevenless, have you thought about the braziers working this way, they use 1 coal per activating?
I haven't done proper tests so can't confirm it though.

Loftar's comment about the braziers [from before the wipe if I remember correctly] :
<loftar> It is true that their mechanics do need more polish, however.
Glennfinnan

Next

Return to Help!