Economy going to crap?

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Economy going to crap?

Postby belibutn » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:16 pm

Is it just me, or are prices dropping way too low on things? Take leather for example. The lime, brains, and rabbit skins used to make it sell for more than people are charging for the leather now. I wanted to be a leather maker guy thing, trying to stay away from iron and nails, but now so many are making it, it's like trying to compete against WalMart now.... I have even seen iron selling for 75s now. Is this going to be a consistent thing? Is everyone following the same path? This is just getting very frustrating, like I should not even try to sell to other players and just dump everything at the two vendor stalls.

I hope that this is not the case. Someone please tell me it's not.
belibutn

Re: Economy going to crap?

Postby MvGulik » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:38 pm

... Consults Crystal ball, aha. 10.000 Silver-peaces if you would like to know the future to. ...
MvGulik

Postby RobSyl » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:59 pm

There is no money sink right now in this game beside town upkeen. They should find a way to make money go away like claims having upkeen too etc.
RobSyl

Postby belibutn » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:01 am

Thanks. I forgot about the money sink thing needed by games. I was beginning to think i I was just turning into a whiner.
belibutn

Postby Superiodity » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:03 am

Leathers just a horrible way to make money, you may sell a backpack or two but that's about as far as it goes besides selling to npc stall.
Superiodity

Postby Slim » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:27 am

belibutn wrote: I have even seen iron selling for 75s now.

Are you going by what you see in chat - or by deals you did first hand?
What I have seen is many scammers saying in chat they have low prices and people falling for it.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
Slim
Customer

Postby mykey400 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:34 am

There are a lot of people in game nowadays too, and they all produce stuff. Too much competition, too much stock and not enough buyers.
mykey400

Postby Un1ted » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:30 am

If we had an actual marketplace system (beyond the current few stalls) then things would even out eventually. Need more ways to sell besides just yelling in Boston. Something like a "Farmer's market" would seem to fit the Salem theme nicely - until that time comes we're stuck with an oddly fluctuating system rife with scammers and bad deals.
Un1ted

Postby sabinati » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:44 am

leather is not worth much because there's not much useful that you can do with it and it's easily obtainable. there's always going to be a small market for backpacks from newbies but it's not like they wear out or anything. all of the other leather clothing is purely cosmetic right now, but that will change, so we might see an uptick in the leather value at some point. metal is worth a lot more than leather, but prices vary. lowest i saw on the forum when i checked a few days ago was 85s for a bar and let's say it was a "questionable" source. Lowest price from a legit trader on the forum is 100s. metal tools go for slightly higher. the real money in metal seems to be in higher purity metals.

if you do want to make some silver at something with a fairly low barrier to entry, sell food.
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby Superiodity » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:02 am

Metal is an easy money maker, 200s every 40minutes (as long as you have the coal and lime readily available) since there's always at least one person looking for nails or bars.
Even though I can make my own bars, I sometimes decide to just buy a large amount of them for a discount price and gain the money back at a later date.
The purity stuff seems to be a really niche market personally, I doubt you'll find that many buyers except for maybe 1 high purity rod and that's the last you'll see of him.
Superiodity

Next

Return to Help!