Agriculture: The influence of high purity dross on crops

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Agriculture: The influence of high purity dross on crops

Postby lessqq » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:10 pm

This will be the report of a simple double blind test to determinate the influence of the purity of dross on the purity of the final crops, cabbage in this case.
This was inspired by the fact that none of the persons i asked in Boston seemed to know how far(if at all) dross purity influences crop purity.

The Test itself consists of 3 newly tilled fields planted in the following fashion:
All Fields are planted with 1.00 Humus, 10 wood choppings and 1.00 cabbage seeds

Field 1:
151% speed
74% plenty
24* 10% pure Dross with:
-17,60 Salt
-19,08 Mercury
-49,10 Sulphur
-14,24 Lead

Field 2:
151% speed
50% plenty
24* 0% dross with:
-22,68 Salt
-29,39 Mercury
-27,87 Sulphur
-20,05 Lead

Field 3:
106% plenty
No Fertilizer besides the wood choppings

The results won't be accurate since I used wood choppings and I only use 3 fields but a trend should be visible.

Results will follow in about 3 days.

EDIT: Results are in.

Field 1:
25,90 ; 25,28; 27,04; 21,78
Field 2:
22,39;21,34;27,59;28,68
Field 3:
27,25;28,20;20,52;24,03

So looks like the wood chippings + the rng average the purity increase of the dross.
Will repeat the test without the wood chips and more fields to average the rng.
Last edited by lessqq on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
lessqq

Re: Agriculture: The influence of high purity dross on crops

Postby staxjax » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:21 pm

You dont need 50% upkeep fields to test this. Also, you should be doing your tests with dross as the ONLY fertilizer.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby lessqq » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:31 pm

The 50% upkeep is for future uses. I am not developed enough yet to run a field twice through 100% upkeep.(Maybe I am just to niggardly to do so.)

Edit: Read the second half of the reply wrong. Edited unnessecary part out.
lessqq

Postby staxjax » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:35 pm

If you mix in other fertilzers with the dross, you are most likely to not get any substantial purity increases at all. From my own personal experience, accidently putting a couple of 0% humus on a field lowered the resulting purity by over 5% :/

staxjax

Postby lessqq » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:40 pm

That may be why people told me that they didn't see an increase in purity with using dross as fertilizer.
They probably used wood chippings to keep the upkeep down. Well if this should fail, the test can be rerun at 50% thus disabling the use of wood chippings.
lessqq

Postby staxjax » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:43 pm

Yeah, people suxor at farming and dont realize that any fertilizer you use will lower quality...unless the only fertilizer used is of higher quality than the seeds used for planting.

staxjax

Postby Droj » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:28 pm

Looking forward to seeing your results ;)
***** the Treaty!
loftar wrote:I not like, you not get
Droj

Postby JeffGV » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:06 am

But as things stands now, the only fertilizer you can have with high purities is dross. Imho, metal shouldn't be that important in farming. I mean, whoever will get the purest metal in the world will be able to have the purest seeds as well (that in turn mean the purest food in the world, in a specific alchemical element, of course). It kinda revolves all about metal, then.
JeffGV

Postby Glennfinnan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:17 am

JeffGV wrote:But as things stands now, the only fertilizer you can have with high purities is dross. Imho, metal shouldn't be that important in farming. I mean, whoever will get the purest metal in the world will be able to have the purest seeds as well (that in turn mean the purest food in the world, in a specific alchemical element, of course). It kinda revolves all about metal, then.

Don't forget that even if you stop looking for better mines and building them, you can still push the crops' purity forward trough selective planting.
So basically, even the purity of your dross is limited, you can still acquire better crops.
Glennfinnan

Postby JeffGV » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:06 am

Glennfinnan wrote:
JeffGV wrote:But as things stands now, the only fertilizer you can have with high purities is dross. Imho, metal shouldn't be that important in farming. I mean, whoever will get the purest metal in the world will be able to have the purest seeds as well (that in turn mean the purest food in the world, in a specific alchemical element, of course). It kinda revolves all about metal, then.

Don't forget that even if you stop looking for better mines and building them, you can still push the crops' purity forward trough selective planting.
So basically, even the purity of your dross is limited, you can still acquire better crops.

Without using any fertilizer (cause it would drop purity) and having to rely on a random factor anyway for measle increments per week. Nah, it isn't comparable at all.
JeffGV

Next

Return to Help!