Agriculture: The influence of high purity dross on crops

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Re: Agriculture: The influence of high purity dross on crops

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:17 pm

No to be abrupt or an ass about this, but these assumptions that we have a complete game with nothing else in the pipelines needs to end. This isn't your typical "beta 30 days before release" when 99% of the content is complete.

In software development, "beta" simply means that you have a working product, not necessarily feature complete. Just because the public doesn't see the full beta period of game development doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. This is why game development doesn't typically have public beta test periods until a few months before release.

As far as the OP goes... great effort and looking forward to the fruits of your labors. Maybe we can piece together some formula for purity changes with enough work.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Droj » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:40 pm

Friend of mine dropped about x24 23% dross on his wheat field. When he harvested it, made no difference to the purity.
***** the Treaty!
loftar wrote:I not like, you not get
Droj

Postby JeffGV » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:58 pm

Droj wrote:Friend of mine dropped about x24 23% dross on his wheat field. When he harvested it, made no difference to the purity.

It depends on the alchemical elements and whatever he put in beside those. Assuming there aren't bugs involved.

Cause i've been farming with good purity dross as well, and it sure skyrocketed when i began using it (going toward the purity - as in, combination of alchemical elements - of the dross involved, of course).
JeffGV

Postby Sevenless » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:17 am

I can definitely say my crops being seeded with 3 high purity dross and 1 woodchip are advancing in purity faster than my crops fertilized with 3 turkey poo and 1 woodchip. This is over 3 generations so far, and I'm raising all 4 purity types for cereals. Only my dross purity type has pulled ahead, the rest are consistent with how much they've gained.

I do crops in sets of 8, and we're entirely discounting the random modifier that crops have in this discussion. To my knowledge it's anywhere between +/- 5 points. If you get a full minus, it will cancel out all or some of the dross influence for that field.

To do a proper test, you need replicates of fields to eliminate the random modifier playing with things.

Edit: Noting the way Loftar explained it, I suspect it simply averages the purity of the fertilizers you use. 10 dross or 1 dross would have the same effect, but if you want to woodchip you'll want more dross to help against the watering effect a 1.00p item gives.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Previous

Return to Help!