A Treatise on the Darkness

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Re: A Treatise on the Darkness

Postby LeftyRighty » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:34 am

Totally missed this thread the first time around, but someone linked it... permission to blatantly steal it onto the wiki?
Yes, I'm new; no, I didn't play Haven; but yes, I do get it :p
LeftyRighty

Postby milonti » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:46 pm

LeftyRighty wrote:Totally missed this thread the first time around, but someone linked it... permission to blatantly steal it onto the wiki?

Just credit him to having wrote it and provide an external link to the thread.
milonti

Postby ShadowAtlan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:01 am

LeftyRighty wrote:Totally missed this thread the first time around, but someone linked it... permission to blatantly steal it onto the wiki?

Sure, use it in whatever guide or wiki you like as long as you give credit. I contributed a lot of the information to the current darkness page, but it's much easier to just write out a little guide here than to bother with all the wiki jargon.
Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science.
ShadowAtlan

Postby MvGulik » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:55 am

Oops.

Thought The Darkness was something that was just as visible as terrain changes.

Ventured into The Dark (got in game message about it) but, as I was clear of the dark terrain(type) near me, I figured that as long as a staid on the green's I would be ok. ... Traveled a view more tiles further into the direction I was traveling. ... Than, as it was late(RL), I logged off. ... Bad move :) ... Logging Back in the next day, I was quickly struck down(KO) before I figured what was happening. (all humour's being drained with a vengeance.)

Darn, that's going to be a long walk again.

[spelling]
Last edited by MvGulik on Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MvGulik

Postby Feedzor » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:56 pm

Well done I can say :).
But what is there really to do in the darkness? I've been over the border walking straight in for about 1 hour and 30 minutes, seeing nothing but exactly the same landscape and animals as I do in my own area.
Also my humours only went down 0.2.
Feedzor

Postby LeftyRighty » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:49 pm

you weren't very far into the darkness... i tend to turn back when they're dropping by 0.3 per tick even though you're regenerating from eating... to answer your question "what is the difference" ... erm.. right now... not much...
Yes, I'm new; no, I didn't play Haven; but yes, I do get it :p
LeftyRighty

Postby Sevenless » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:53 pm

In the future there will be unique forageables, nasty monsters and possibly high end player settlements for witches.

Right now... your base is better defended. That's about it.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Feedzor » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:12 pm

Hehe, yeah that's what I thought :). Hey to just ask one follow up question, any idea when there will be a few new things ingame? I mean, it's in beta and all and I've been in for 4 weeks almost but haven't really noticed anything new :)
Feedzor

Postby Sevenless » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:34 pm

Currently they're implementing multiple server support, absolutely crucial for a game like this to grow beyond 500 or so people I'd say. However, loftar is but a single programmer, so the work is pretty slow.

Your guess is as good as mine unfortunately.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby MvGulik » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:31 pm

MvGulik wrote:
salemwiki: Darkness wrote:Setting your homestead in a humour draining area is a bad idea
When respawning at a lean-to in a humour draining area, you will immediately be KO'd again. You will then be presented with an option to respawn in Boston.

Mmm. I have a Lean-to in the border area of the Lumberwoods. But I did not see any option being presented to respan at Boston.

Case Location: Lean-to located one or two map-tiles away from where a [5,5,5,5] character will start to see a active drain.
Case 1: Forgot I had Wander speed active. [KO],[Respan at Lean-to],[KO again at Lean-to, after a small delay],[Respan at Lean-to, and pressed "Travel to Boston" ASAP], [Boston, pfew ...]
Case 2: Fell asleep while character was studying stuff near/next to Lean-to ... when I woke up. (4h+). The Character was (still) in the [KO'ed]+[Respan at Home] loop, with all humours (first number only, BDSalem client) at zero.

Lucky that Darkness-KO is not giving any learning-points damage (yet).

Any tips/thoughts on other ways to detect if your in a low humour draining area ? (other then building a Lean-to, and checking if you get KO'ed again.)
MvGulik

PreviousNext

Return to Help!