A Treatise on the Darkness

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Re: A Treatise on the Darkness

Postby Sevenless » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:23 pm

Sure, use some food and watch how fast you regenerate. The slower your humours tick up, the more drain you're experiencing.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby MvGulik » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:28 pm

Right (Just started using Boston for faster regen's. *facepalm*). I'll give it a try.
MvGulik

Postby mmo4gamer » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:34 am

First you say that the border of the darkness only saps away the "soft" humor gain. This appears to be the case because I don't lose bile at the edge, though I haven't tested to see if there is a decrease in soft values inside compared to gain outside.

You say "Eventually, too, the drain begins sapping away at your Max humours as well, which requires you to bring food along to eat, although the damage to max seems to only occur at the depths dark enough to affect 35-40 max humours." I don't quite understand what you mean. If everyone is effected by soft bile drain, not max bile drain on the boarder, what is this supposed effect 35+ humor characters? If you are talking about this "natural regeneration" that is a horrible name as it does not describe it's function. A better name would be Darkness Regeneration or Darkness Negation as the only thing it effects is the darkness. From what I understand, the higher your humors the more Darkness Negation you have for that humor. I'll just throw out some random numbers but something like every 10 humor points you gain +.1 humor regeneration against darkness. I don't know the tile distance per -.1 regen, but if it was 100 tiles and all your humors were 40, that means you could go 400 tiles into the darkness without any bile loss. When you step over onto that 401st tile you would then be losing .1 to all your biles every tick. Is this right?
mmo4gamer

Postby ShadowAtlan » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:23 am

mmo4gamer wrote:First you say that the border of the darkness only saps away the "soft" humor gain. This appears to be the case because I don't lose bile at the edge, though I haven't tested to see if there is a decrease in soft values inside compared to gain outside.

You say "Eventually, too, the drain begins sapping away at your Max humours as well, which requires you to bring food along to eat, although the damage to max seems to only occur at the depths dark enough to affect 35-40 max humours." I don't quite understand what you mean. If everyone is effected by soft bile drain, not max bile drain on the boarder, what is this supposed effect 35+ humor characters? If you are talking about this "natural regeneration" that is a horrible name as it does not describe it's function. A better name would be Darkness Regeneration or Darkness Negation as the only thing it effects is the darkness. From what I understand, the higher your humors the more Darkness Negation you have for that humor. I'll just throw out some random numbers but something like every 10 humor points you gain +.1 humor regeneration against darkness. I don't know the tile distance per -.1 regen, but if it was 100 tiles and all your humors were 40, that means you could go 400 tiles into the darkness without any bile loss. When you step over onto that 401st tile you would then be losing .1 to all your biles every tick. Is this right?

Natural Regeneration DOES apply to other things aside from the Darkness, which is one of the points I tried to make in the writeup. Let's say it took 1 minute of time to go from 0 black bile, to 5 black bile, with 5 being your max. If that Natural Regeneration factor never changed, it would take 5 minutes to go from 0 to 25, or 10 whole minutes to refill to 50 which anyone who has humors that high can tell you is not the case. This means that as you increase humor levels, the rate at which they regen also increases, to compensate for the max being much higher. As a side-effect of that, that regeneration offsets the drain you get from the darkness.
If you have all your humors at a minimum of 30, what I refer to as the "30 point" is the depth at which someone with 30 minimum humors would first start to notice drain, as in, where the drain is bad enough that it overcomes their regeneration. There isn't any other real way to define the levels, as they are all relative to the character and their individual humor levels. As for your description of the drain, it is something like that with how as you step over the 401st tile, every "tick" delivers +.1 damage to you
Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science.
ShadowAtlan

Postby Sevenless » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:51 pm

For reference I believe 30-35 humours is roughly where you start healing 1.0 per tick in boston.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Yamas7453 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:14 pm

Hello, I am sorry if this has been covered already, but I read through this topic and was still unsure. If I settle a low humour character about 30 seconds away from where the darkness starts to drain my humours, will this have an affect on the regeneration of my humours while working my homestead?

edit: I am a noob to this game and genre.
Yamas7453

Postby MvGulik » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:48 pm

30 seconds ???
The humour drain value changes when you cross the map-section borders. (see minimap grid in modded clients.)

And Yes, if you settle close by (down wind of course) where your character starts to see some active humour draining. Your character's humour regeneration will be close to, or just, zero.

The darkness area is a slow gradient effect that's starts long before you starts seeing some active draining on your character. (detectable by seeing the general lightness of the map change when crossing a map-section border. Your need a good eye for it though.)

- - -

Personal general note: Noted that the Glutony availability indicator (BDSalem client) can be turned off by humour drain whiteout there being any change in the displayed humour values(BDSalem client) yet.
Is probably a good way to see if your character has crossed the danger zone before seeing your humour's dropping for real.
MvGulik

Postby MvGulik » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:04 pm

Sevenless wrote:For reference I believe 30-35 humours is roughly where you start healing 1.0 per tick in boston.

Sevenless. A tick (still) around 3 hours?
MvGulik

Postby Yamas7453 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:42 pm

Thanks MvGulik.

My humours were not degrading there, but it sure took a long time for Phlegm to regenerate. I relocated.
Yamas7453

Previous

Return to Help!