How Food Recipes Work

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Re: How Food Recipes Work

Postby nico54k9 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:39 pm

I have actually started making this 'program' :)

I had the idea for it (without reading anything other than Dark's first post in this thread, which is where i got the inspiration from) for a while now... i scrapped it a while back after learning how much work it is (i'm still at school, well, graduating in 3 weeks, so my time is limited due to assessment). Only today i decided to take up the challenge again and just after reading though this whole thread i am more determined knowing others would like this program.

As i said, i am finishing up school so i'm quite busy, so bear with me. I'm creating an actual (small) program using vb.net, but i'm not a master so don't expect anything really fancy. Without giving too much away, it will be similar to the salem wiki page of food, but will have all combinations of foods, rather than just the base matrix the wiki gives.
Like i said, it wont be perfect or a work of art, i just want to do it to help new players, or even veterans who haven't taken a lot of time to learn the system :D

All credits, SO FAR, go to DarkNacht and the creator/s of the wiki food page (and my advanced math teacher for teaching me everything about matrices ¦])
nico54k9

Postby Kandarim » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:50 pm

vb.net, they still teach that stuff?
Anyhow, I can only laud the effort, such a program will be incredibly handy!
I have neither the crayons nor the time to explain it to you.
JC wrote:I'm not fully committed to being wrong on that yet.
Kandarim
Customer

Postby nico54k9 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:48 pm

Well, they taught it for 10 weeks only haha. But thanks, it's good to hear there are people out there that will appreciate the effort :)
I have assessment due this week, exams next week, graduation the week after... But then I am free of school and will have plenty of time to work on, and finish this program :)
nico54k9

Postby Lihz » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:30 pm

You, sir, will be my personal hero, once you complete the program!

Praise!
Lihz
Customer

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:35 am

It is a decent enough beginner language and introduction to the .Net API. It does have its uses professionally, too, and if you want to do internal application programming for MS Office, it's what you use (VB that is). This or Java was the first language you learn in the tech college I graduated from, depending on which class was up when you started.

However, despite Microsoft's claims of making it cross platform, it has failed at this mostly because nobody outside of MS systems has really worked on good implementations of the .Net libraries, and Microsoft doesn't seem intent on committing to it (since, you know, they're not Microsoft products). Even if they were, I still doubt anyone would use them due to Java being more widespread already.

That said, why not just do it as a spreadsheet? It'd be a lot less work if not as efficient in processing/display time.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby nico54k9 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:06 am

MagicManICT wrote:That said, why not just do it as a spreadsheet? It'd be a lot less work if not as efficient in processing/display time.

Not sure why I don't to be honest haha. Calculating the combinations will take the longest, and then I just have to import that data into vb.net and maybe an hour of coding to finish it up. The finished product would just be a little more visually appealing, and probably easier to use than plain speadsheets :)
nico54k9

Postby Thor » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:41 am

Just let the man do his thing!
saltmummy wrote:You sad sad little man, my heart weeps for you. Better not go outside or your thin, tissue paper like skin might spontaneously rupture while your fragile sensibilities violently shatter spraying salt and urine all over the street.
Thor

Postby daopa » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:28 am

I'm trying to see if i can get a basic web based type of a program going .. so far so good .. nothing to show for the moment but maybe soon!

Have some questions -

When theres multiple ingredients of one thing, do you calculate both, or just one? And if its 2 different pieces of meat, is it both inserted into the math or just the one with higher values?

Another thing I noticed, Peppers, Water - do these have any value other then the 25/25/25/25 purity stuff?
daopa
Customer

Postby DarkNacht » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:55 am

daopa wrote:When theres multiple ingredients of one thing, do you calculate both, or just one? And if its 2 different pieces of meat, is it both inserted into the math or just the one with higher values?

Another thing I noticed, Peppers, Water - do these have any value other then the 25/25/25/25 purity stuff?

As long as the ingredient type is different then you apply both matrices, so if you make a pie with bear shreds and turkey cuts it will get modified by both matrices.
Bellpeppers do not currently have matrices and there is only one type of water.
DarkNacht

Postby nico54k9 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:23 am

Quick question. Is purity applied using a matrix or by simply multiplying the end values by the purity?
nico54k9

PreviousNext

Return to Help!