Final answer on mapping

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Final answer on mapping

Postby jmogler » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:26 am

Okay, ive seen a few posts here and there regarding coordinates and trying to figure out just where the hell you are in the game and to this point have yet to see a sufficient answer. Ive been pointed to the world map html page that looks quite overwelming. The map is gigantic and even using the zoom there is really no way to pinpoint where you are on that map just using the infintesimal bit of terrain you have to go by on your minimap. Cmon guys, there are at least a thousand different places on that world map that look just like where im standing. Not to mention that map looks like a piece of swiss cheese. Is it even complete? Whats with all the holes and missing textures? No one in there right mind could navigate using that monstrosity, i may as well use the moon and stars. Is there a way to see what your coordinates are? To be honest if i wander off to far from home the only way im getting back is to port and lose all my stuff. I cant even place a map marker on my minimap that doesnt dissappear when I walk off a ways. Other than following rivers or mud trails I always get lost. Does anyone here have any advice on how not to get lost short of not going far from home? Thanks.
jmogler

Re: Final answer on mapping

Postby dullahx » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:30 am

make your own map using salem map tool and ask to upload your tiles to the world map.
once your own map is large enough, you can figure your location on the world easily
dullahx

Postby jmogler » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:50 am

Thanks a bunch. Ill try to find this tool.
jmogler

Postby sabinati » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:50 am

Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby Sevenless » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:06 am

One method is to always live in an active village. You can just party someone at home to guide you back. Not an answer for hermit life though I'm aware.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby LeftyRighty » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:58 am

dullahx wrote:... ask to upload your tiles to the world map.

Where/who do we ask?
Yes, I'm new; no, I didn't play Haven; but yes, I do get it :p
LeftyRighty

Postby Chiprel » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:16 pm

LeftyRighty wrote:
dullahx wrote:... ask to upload your tiles to the world map.

Where/who do we ask?

pm link with your maps to: grayrat
http://forum.salemgame.com/ucp.php?i=pm ... pose&u=309
Mention what client was used to make maps(or/and if you used salem mapping tool to make it).
dem M_O_V_E_M_E_N_T_O_A_T_M_E_A_L_C_R_A_C_K_E_R_S
Winner of bracket ( award.
<@TotalyMoo> Mushi, will you be my new lover? :<
Chiprel

Postby painhertz » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:36 pm

Took me about 7 minutes to find our spot on the map. you just have to know what you're looking for.
"since i am in my 30s and could probably throw you across the room"

"Porky" Darwoth: Confusing reality and video games since 2012.......
painhertz

Postby Qukatt » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:04 pm

You can also walk to a river or some other change in biome and walk along it a bit then find the shape on the map. have a friend in boston in your party and see roughly what direction they are as well.
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out. - Battlebug (Sw:tor forums pre-wipe)
Qukatt

Return to Help!