several questions:

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

several questions:

Postby pedrostr » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:30 am

Hi all! I just started playing and got oh so many questions..

First of all let me say i don't have much time to play, but i always to play a building/crafting/community game. The permadeath doesn't interest me, but hey, it wasn't me who built the game.

so now to questions:
- I just kept walking out of Boston, trying to make a settlement, but invariable just returned to Boston lol. Is it possible to run away from Boston without paying the 30 silver?
- i bought 1000 silver. If i carry a Pilgrim Purse in my Inventory i won't lose the silver i'm carrying is that how it works?
- Can i deposit silver in the bank, after withdrawing? Because it fills one spot in my inventory... and i don't need to be carrying it
- Will the game reset our buildings when the game finishes the Beta?
- I don't seem to be able to develop enough to learn "Settling". Any suggestions?
- We learn x points in different areas for doing things (inspirationals etc.). But when we learn a new skill all points get reset. So what happens to the points not used? They are lost? Or i can regain the points not used by redoing the inspirationals?
pedrostr

Re: several questions:

Postby dullahx » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:51 am

- yes, you can walk, or use the free wilderness spawn
you can also use this map for general directions : http://ad.lylay.com/hts/smap.html

- I suggest you not to carry so many silver at once, all silver in your equipped purse is retained on environemental knockout (npc combat, darkness, snake poison etc). If you ever get intercepted by some evil PK, he can knock you out and steal the purse from your body, and even kill you.

- No you can't, i suggest you make an alt to store your excess silver

- there won't be any planned wipe on this server

- you'll need to unlock some other inspirational crafts to help you get settling, almost impossible to rush for a fresh character without help/village support

- all the unused points are lost :)
dullahx

Postby pedrostr » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:21 pm

the game is totally crazy that way. All unused points are lost?? So it's preety easy to get to a point where we cannot develop anymore !!

How do you equip a purse?

can we have two Salems´running at the same time, so we can transfer stuff to an alt character?
pedrostr

Postby TotalyMoo » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:38 pm

pedrostr wrote:the game is totally crazy that way. All unused points are lost?? So it's preety easy to get to a point where we cannot develop anymore !!

can we have two Salems´running at the same time, so we can transfer stuff to an alt character?

- Yes, all unused points are 'lost'. It's designed that way to make you think before you do, as you need to plan which inspirationals to study to get the most points. And no, it doesn't get to the point where you can't develop anymore quickly. Someone posted a thread where they calculated the top amount of Stocks & Cultivars one could have, it was around 6400 (not as in 6400/6400, but as in 6400 making it 640000/640000).

- Just like any other item, shift-left click on it with inventory open.

- Erh, this I don't know. I recommend just keeping the money in the bank and taking out the exact amount you need at any time.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby LeftyRighty » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:43 pm

pedrostr wrote:the game is totally crazy that way. All unused points are lost?? So it's preety easy to get to a point where we cannot develop anymore !!

... er... not quite, it just slows down as you get to the higher proficiency levels. Getting 500 to fill a bar could be one inspirational, getting 8k will take a fair few different and varied inspirationals...

open the equip screen and drag the purse onto the image of your char, it'll find it's own slot

you can have two accounts logged in and running at the same time... but that would require two beta keys... can't have two chars on the same account on at the same time.
Yes, I'm new; no, I didn't play Haven; but yes, I do get it :p
LeftyRighty

Postby pedrostr » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:47 pm

Common Mister Moo. "make you think before you do" ?

The game is SO FAR from being developed to the point that someone that just started like myself, to be able to "think before you do" regarding learning skills etc.

quickly thinking about it:
1- when i have the chance to "study" an item, it doesnt show how many points i will earn. So if you really meant "thinking", try "guessing" from now on
2- the game doesn't show a "development tree", so how can i (and here again... "think"?) plan the development necessary to maximize my "studies" etc.?
pedrostr

Postby TotalyMoo » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:58 pm

pedrostr wrote:Common Mister Moo. "make you think before you do" ?

Wow, I've never been called "Common Mister" before.

pedrostr wrote:The game is SO FAR from being developed to the point that someone that just started like myself, to be able to "think before you do" regarding learning skills etc.

quickly thinking about it:
1- when i have the chance to "study" an item, it doesnt show how many points i will earn. So if you really meant "thinking", try "guessing" from now on
2- the game doesn't show a "development tree", so how can i (and here again... "think"?) plan the development necessary to maximize my "studies" etc.?

1. Yes, it does show you how much you get. Both when you hover over the item in numbers, and as a graphical bar in the study menu. I honestly have no clue how one can miss that.
2. There is no development tree, and there will be none. Although I would argue that just reading the skills gives you a pretty logical overview of what they do. I mean, I wouldn't study "Basic Mineralogy" expecting to get better at dancing.

As for new vs old players planning their skills, yes, new players won't be able to optimize their studying. Just like it took me a week to level my first WoW character to ~10 and an hour once I got more experience, you learn as you play.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby pedrostr » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:02 pm

I didn't to sound bitter, but i honestly feel lost in the game.

I just wander around and actually can't even learn any new skills :/
pedrostr

Postby LeftyRighty » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:06 pm

2. There is no development tree

but there is a wiki... http://salemwiki.info/index.php/Main_Page

and if you search youtube you'll find a couple of players have setup video tutorials (http://www.youtube.com/user/GamerZakh http://www.youtube.com/user/eegorevids etc.)
Yes, I'm new; no, I didn't play Haven; but yes, I do get it :p
LeftyRighty

Postby mykey400 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:38 pm

pedrostr wrote:I didn't to sound bitter, but i honestly feel lost in the game.

I just wander around and actually can't even learn any new skills :/

There is so much information about the game it is not even funny. We have a wiki, youtube tutorials from a bunch of different people, irc channel where you can ask stuff and people tell you, a map for general directions, guides on the forum. You can complain all you want but if you had just read a bit you would have found out a lot more information before even starting the game.
mykey400

Next

Return to Help!