several questions:

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Re: several questions:

Postby TotalyMoo » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:39 pm

mykey400 wrote:
pedrostr wrote:I didn't to sound bitter, but i honestly feel lost in the game.

I just wander around and actually can't even learn any new skills :/

There is so much information about the game it is not even funny. We have a wiki, youtube tutorials from a bunch of different people, irc channel where you can ask stuff and people tell you, a map for general directions, guides on the forum. You can complain all you want but if you had just read a bit you would have found out a lot more information before even starting the game.

This is the Help! forum, please refrain from jumping someone for asking for help.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby mykey400 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:48 pm

TotalyMoo wrote:
mykey400 wrote:
pedrostr wrote:I didn't to sound bitter, but i honestly feel lost in the game.

I just wander around and actually can't even learn any new skills :/

There is so much information about the game it is not even funny. We have a wiki, youtube tutorials from a bunch of different people, irc channel where you can ask stuff and people tell you, a map for general directions, guides on the forum. You can complain all you want but if you had just read a bit you would have found out a lot more information before even starting the game.

This is the Help! forum, please refrain from jumping someone for asking for help.

Ok, helping:

Sevenless Guide, pretty good: http://forum.salemgame.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=181
Wiki: http://salemwiki.info/index.php/Main_Page
Video tutorials 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/GamerZakh?feature=g-u-u
Video tutorials 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/eegorevids?feature=g-u-u
Map: http://ad.lylay.com/hts/smap.html
Irc: http://client02.chat.mibbit.com/?server=irc.synirc.net&channel=%23salem

oh and: http://forum.salemgame.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=92

And i was helping: Give a man a fish he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish he will eat forever.
mykey400

Postby TotalyMoo » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:05 pm

mykey400 wrote:And i was helping: Give a man a fish he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish he will eat forever.

I was referring to the last paragraph of your message, but thanks for the link dump :)
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby pedrostr » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:27 am

Oooook thank you guys for the help, i need to investigate these links when i have the time.

Because of you i started a new character but yesterday i stepped into a few problems... so here they go, hope you can help:

1- some skills need more than the standard 500 points. So how does it work? i need to reach 500 points and click on it when it turns green so it levels up to 600 ? and then again to 700 and so on?
1.1 - and after i level it up to 600, all points are lost? Because i built absolutely all "inspirationals", and if these points are lost where am i supposed to go get new points now? :( I've got no more inspirationals to build!
2. I also did something weird. I clicked the "reset" option in the skills. They obviously reset to 0 immediately. But THEN all hell broke lose, because my items suddently got the option "STUDY". And they didn't finish. I could click them all and repeatedly STUDY them all ! again and again! So how did happens? How do you explain this? I just don't get it! :(
pedrostr

Postby LeftyRighty » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:50 pm

1) when the bar turns green you click on the bar to add 1 to that proficiency, this adds 100 to the max amount of point the bar can hold (lvl 5 = 500, lvl 6 = 500 etc.)
1.1) yes they are gone, same when you buy the skill. You can make and find more inspiriationals.

2) ... never wanted to try the reset button... no idea, sorry.
Yes, I'm new; no, I didn't play Haven; but yes, I do get it :p
LeftyRighty

Postby LeftyRighty » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:52 pm

as an example, if you want a skill that requires a proficiency of 1000 from scratch you will need:

500 (level up max to 6)
600 (level up max to 7)
700 (level up max to 8)
800 (level up max to 9)
900 (level up max to 10)
1000 (purchase skill)

which is a total: 4500 study points
Yes, I'm new; no, I didn't play Haven; but yes, I do get it :p
LeftyRighty

Postby pedrostr » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:55 pm

but i don't get it !

1- bar turns green when i get 500/500. I have studied inspirationals to achieve that, inspirationals that i can't do anymore.
2- i click on it to improve 100 points. Lose the 500 points and dont' learn any new skill. Now i need another 600 points to improve it again.
3- Since there are no new skills, there are also no new inspirationals.

So what am i missing here?
Where am i supposed to find new inspirationals if i didn't learn new skills, only improved max points?
pedrostr

Postby Potjeh » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:03 pm

Hm, you seem to be confused a bit here. You can reuse the same inspirational over and over again, it just gives diminishing returns within one event (learning a new skill or raising a proficiency). You can reset this penalty by studying an inspirational you haven't yet studied since last event.
Potjeh

Postby Sevenless » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:17 pm

Mmm... most of these questions I've explained in my guide as it was linked (there's a section that explains skills/proficiencies and it's linked from the top post). However, if you're not the type who likes reading I've heard that Eegore/GamerZahk's tutorial videos are pretty good and I believe they cover all that.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby baronbowden » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:32 pm

pedrostr,

Just say this post. Hope you have managed to read Sevenless's guide it really does help to start.

If you need help in game feel free to PM me here in the forums and I will gladly give you a tutorial in game explaining concepts and helping you get started.

Hope you stick with it. Let me know if you need help.

Cheers,

B
baronbowden

PreviousNext

Return to Help!