Good size for a claim?

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Good size for a claim?

Postby tiarali » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:27 pm

I'm a hermit, hoping to do a bit of everything, but I don't even have a house yet. What's a reasonable size for a claim? I need space for farming, mining, tanning, and carpentry. And I guess a bread oven?
tiarali

Re: Good size for a claim?

Postby Heftiger » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:34 pm

Does it matter? Just find a spot with room to grow. You won't be able to afford a huge claim right of the bat.
Heftiger

Postby redwallwall » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:38 pm

Just claim whatever you have first, then expand when you starts to build new stuffs. Slivers are quite hard to get when you are playing alone.
I am the Pootis Man, coming from Sandwich Land
redwallwall

Postby Superiodity » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:06 pm

I found 600 m2 to be a good size, but that includes a double wall so it's probably better to start off small and expand when you need to.
Also savage charms are an easy way to make money once you have Indian tracking.
Superiodity

Postby tiarali » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:29 pm

Ok, well I've been playing for a week and a half and I already have 1080 m2. My issue really was that I desperately need to start working on my fence, and I'm not sure how easy that is to adjust later. So I didn't know whether to just fence what I've got, or wait until I have more silver to fence, or just fence the area I want and claim it all later. If that makes sense.

But it looks as though maybe I've got enough land to start with, so maybe I'll just fence that. Thanks :)
tiarali

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:13 pm

A fence not on a claim might as well not even be a fence at all as anyone with enough phlegm can come along and tear it down.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Sevenless » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:19 pm

I suggest aiming for double stone walling at least 25x25 (that's the exterior dimensions, roughly 20x20 inside give or take with room for braziers and a walking path). That's enough for some fields inside and everything a hermit needs.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Return to Help!