Making leather

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Making leather

Postby Feedzor » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:16 am

Hello, I have a question about making leather.
Here is what I did:

- Put rabbit skins on a frame to make them dry.
- Have a bucket of 10L water.
- Put 5x Lime in (5% concentration) for 10L Milk of Lime // :?: Does it really matter right now what concentration the Milk of Lime is?
- Each rabbit hide took 2.5L of Milk of Lime to make them a Limed hide, so I had 4 pieces of Limed hides.
- Slaughtered a beaver for the brain.
- Made Tanning fluid of 10L by putting the brain in water.
- Put the Tanning fluid in my Tanning tub.
- Put in all 4 Limed hides, since there were 4 spots in the Tub as well.

Here is the problem:
I only received 2 pieces of Leather, while 2 other Limed hides are now still in the tub with a full green bar (probably 99% or so?) and they don't change.
So option one could be; 1 Limed hide, needs 5L of tanning fluid, which means I had enough for 2 hides. This wouldn't explain the green bars as if the process is almost complete at the other two hides still in the tub.
Or it's a bug that I didn't get the other 2 hides and that they are stuck on process.

Also, a question above, does it matter if you put 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 Lime in the "milk of lime" at this point? Nothing seems to have changed but the number in the text.

Either way, something must be wrong right?
I hope somebody can help me and I appreciate your replies!

Regards.
Feedzor

Re: Making leather

Postby staxjax » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:25 am

Maybe you should have put the hides in the tub before adding the tanning solution. Seems to me like the solution started being used as soon as you put the first hide in the tub, so the 2nd and 1st hide got tanned but you were a split second too slow putting the other 2 hides in.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:53 am

The base percentage is the minimum. Any more is a waste, but you can do it.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby LeftyRighty » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:56 am

I can confirm that liming the hides (1 lime : 10L water), putting all 4 into the tub and then adding the (1 brain : 10 L water) tanning fluid gives you 4 leather. I've made about 30 pieces of leather with that exact method.

I think staxjax was right and by adding the fluid first then adding the hides you've "used" a little bit of the 10L of tanning fluid before the second 2 hides were added. (did you click drag the hides in? or shift click? or shift+alt+click?)
Yes, I'm new; no, I didn't play Haven; but yes, I do get it :p
LeftyRighty

Postby Feedzor » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:24 pm

I must have put in the Fluid first, that's the best explanation possible. It's weird though that it matters what you put in first, since technically if it's not complete, the "timer" shouldn't start running :/

Thanks for your responses! :)
Feedzor

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:30 pm

The timer starts as soon as the formula is complete. This means as soon as you add the first piece of limed hide to the fluid or when you add fluid to a container of limed hides. So yeah, the process is correct and complete. It's just not a simplified system.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Feedzor » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:42 pm

But how do I put the 4 hides in the tub all at once? As I've heard Shift + right click on a hide doesn't work. Or do I have to click in the tub? I haven't really played around with it too much :).
Feedzor

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:00 am

You want a dry tub to start. You should be able to shift+click the hides in (I don't recall exactly at the moment), but you can always drag and drop individually. When all four are in, you then add the tanning fluid to start the process. If you add the fluid first, you'd need 10L per hide to finish the job as all four would tick down, but would abort when the fluid ran dry.
MagicManICT

Return to Help!