making coin as a farmer

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

making coin as a farmer

Postby LeftyRighty » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:43 am

how does a farmer/gardener make silver?

I can see where a miner/smelter can make coin from selling iron bars to the npc stalls, and the hunter/tanner can sell the hides and leather... but there's nothing like that for the farmer/baker.
Yes, I'm new; no, I didn't play Haven; but yes, I do get it :p
LeftyRighty

Re: making coin as a farmer

Postby staxjax » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:10 am

You can sell cotton cloths.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby JeffGV » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:27 am

I guess farmers aren't actually supposed to make money in the game from the npc stall (i mean, it is far less time-consuming to kill crickets than to make cotton fields and sell cloths, after all).
Technically we should gain money by increasing the purity of the crops and selling high purity byproducts to players. As things stand now, without some means to improve water purity, we can't do much about that.
And since it requires quite a long time to improve crops, due to it being based to real time days, guess we'll need months to see some sensible improvement from normal purity foods.
JeffGV

Postby Tonkyhonk » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:30 am

didnt sevenless say he couldnt find ppl selling food somewhere?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby TotalyMoo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:48 pm

Selling high quality food, good gluttony stuff and the likes feels like a very decent market. Also, a farmer is kind of a support role in a village, helping everyone else.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:20 pm

JeffGV wrote:I guess farmers aren't actually supposed to make money in the game from the npc stall (i mean, it is far less time-consuming to kill crickets than to make cotton fields and sell cloths, after all).

Because farming is easily bottable. Even without fertilizing anything you could make large numbers of cotton fields and just churn out silver and make a small amount of change per day. But you're right about the crickets. If you can get 10-15+ YBile and Blood, farming crickets is easy and finding them takes more time than killing. (Price probably needs to be lowered a bit... 25 or 30 silver?)

Tonkyhonk wrote:didnt sevenless say he couldnt find ppl selling food somewhere?

Yeah, he did. Everyone is too busy consuming their own products to raise humors right now, I think.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby JeffGV » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:12 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Yeah, he did. Everyone is too busy consuming their own products to raise humors right now, I think.

Imho, this isn't the only reason.
To raise the quality of gardening products (or crops), we need good quality humus. To make that humus, we must put "high quality" compost in the compost bin. That means that we have to plant the good seeds and to put in the compost bin seeds with that same alchemical elements. That means we've got to use the products themselves to make that humus.
Talking about fertilizers, we may use hay got from the cereal we're harvesting, but that's all. Other fertilizers beside humus would ruin the quality.
Sure, if we talk about crops we aren't forced to use fertilizers, but that also means we won't be able to raise more than a single bar of influence doing so. And we wouldn't get enough products anyway if we can't raise plenty a bit (let alone the randomness of the purity increase).
And we're still talking of small increases in purity every time. So basically you've got to work a lot for measle improvements in a long time (and if events are based on the alchemical composition of the food, and thus of the flour that you've produced, you may also be limited in the foods you can actually produce and are actually useful).
Whereas producing good quality metal is just a grind for the better mines and provides much better results. And probably they're still more marketable than the food.

Beside that, regarding the cloths...well, probably the major problem is that we haven't really got a use for those. Metal is always useful since it is used in a lot of things and there are inspirationals who use just metal, so you just need a good purity of that. Whileas, beside being harder to raise in purity, cloths always need something else in inspirationals (so the averaging basically render using good cloths useless due to the inevitable decrease you will have). And clothes don't give anything yet, and maybe they won't give anything at all, so it is useless to use better cloths.
JeffGV

Postby Sevenless » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:26 pm

If you're talking profit off the NPCs, yes cotton spamming is the way to go. Since cotton produces its cotton balls as a side product, and a field produces at minimum 100 seeds (50 for the humus, 50 for the replant), you can simplify the process immensely. Without any Stocks and Cultivars bonus, the fields are completely replenishing without any outside additions required. Each field will produce 7.5s / 4 days as minimum profit. Now if you've got a 200 stocks and cultivar character, assuming the bonus averages to 50% of your potential bonus (I don't think it does, but that aside), your profit/field would go up to 15s/4 days.

You can see the problem here. This is extremely prone to botting because you need massive numbers of fields to make any sizeable income doing it this way. Furthermore it would benefit immensely from "quantum" farming where you stack farmtiles on top of each other. To make 100s/day off this, you'd need 40 fields and a 100 S/C character. 400 fields and you can be churning out 1k silver per day. But realistically, that amount of boring grind work is obviously something you'd think bots would be made for.

As for selling to players, it's half baker half farmer really. But there's many tasty recipes that require flour to make and would hit 1.25 or 1.5p quite easily if you leveled up your crops to 2-3p or so. Cabbage cakes are a great example.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby LeftyRighty » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:21 am

is there a guide to the farming purity stuff? or is it just "you put in stuff and hope to get something slightly better, which you feed back into the crop and hope to get something even more slightly better"?
Yes, I'm new; no, I didn't play Haven; but yes, I do get it :p
LeftyRighty

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:11 pm

LeftyRighty wrote:is there a guide to the farming purity stuff? or is it just "you put in stuff and hope to get something slightly better, which you feed back into the crop and hope to get something even more slightly better"?

This is the basic idea, though there can be a few steps to improve the rate of progress.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Next

Return to Help!