Defense question

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Defense question

Postby sumofallwars » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:58 am

Is lifting objects on a claim light torches/blaziers?
Something like boulders or empty pots?
I'm playing solo and i don't realy have the time to build a stone fence. i have a wooden one but i know that from reading the fourms you could knock it down and my torches would still not activate. So im thinking that if i ring my fence with boulders and empty pots that if any one wanted to get into my little "fort" they would have to pick them up and move them. Thus my torches would be working while they break down the fence and hopefully stop and players below 40ish BB.

would my idea work?
sumofallwars

Re: Defense question

Postby painhertz » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:07 am

Depends on if moving them is considered theft? i guess? not sure if theft procs the torchs. You could always just build a second fence?
"since i am in my 30s and could probably throw you across the room"

"Porky" Darwoth: Confusing reality and video games since 2012.......
painhertz

Postby sumofallwars » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:20 am

It's a pain, im in the forest and on a cliff. to build another fence would take forever since i've literally got to teraform everything. but you can place a rock next to the fence on any kind of slope even a 90* degree cliff.
sumofallwars

Postby Realak » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:28 am

interesting idea
Oops. I Dropped My Doritos. ¦]
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲
Realak

Postby Sevenless » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:06 am

Due to bug abuse, lifting objects on a claim is theft. And theft does aggro the braziers. I think it aggros the braziers less than vandalism, and vandy is roughly half the "aggression" needed to fire up the braziers. Not sure if theft would cause the first brazier to aggro on vandy. Furthermore, what would you do about your gates? You'd have to drop things in front of em everytime you log off or leave the base to be 100% safe. That's a pain.

You'd need to test if it'll actually defend your wall, but there's no excuses about double walling. Double wall is the minimum, it's not even really "good" in the long run. It's just the bare minimum to call what you have actual defence. Having it take a week or two of working 30 minutes a day is acceptable here though. Just chip away at it and it'll get done eventually. This is if you're not leaving scents of course.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby painhertz » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:11 pm

Sevenless wrote:Due to bug abuse, lifting objects on a claim is theft. And theft does aggro the braziers. I think it aggros the braziers less than vandalism, and vandy is roughly half the "aggression" needed to fire up the braziers. Not sure if theft would cause the first brazier to aggro on vandy. Furthermore, what would you do about your gates? You'd have to drop things in front of em everytime you log off or leave the base to be 100% safe. That's a pain.

You'd need to test if it'll actually defend your wall, but there's no excuses about double walling. Double wall is the minimum, it's not even really "good" in the long run. It's just the bare minimum to call what you have actual defence. Having it take a week or two of working 30 minutes a day is acceptable here though. Just chip away at it and it'll get done eventually. This is if you're not leaving scents of course.

Which is actually ***** when you consider Jorb and Loftars stated plan to move beyond walls and static defense and to a defense in depth system. needing your walls to be bashed is still static defense. The damned things need to proc on tresspass.
"since i am in my 30s and could probably throw you across the room"

"Porky" Darwoth: Confusing reality and video games since 2012.......
painhertz

Postby sumofallwars » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:37 pm

well i am a new player so i don't have much to lose. im just hoping to make it my effort than it's worth.
i don't plan on this being my only defence. as you pointed out i would need to fix the gate prob. would it be hard to make a double gate?

thanks for the feed back so far it's been refreshing that there is a community that isn't 50% trolls.

from my iphone at work:)
sumofallwars

Postby milonti » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:29 pm

painhertz wrote: Which is actually ***** when you consider Jorb and Loftars stated plan to move beyond walls and static defense and to a defense in depth system. needing your walls to be bashed is still static defense. The damned things need to proc on tresspass.

Tresspass would be a bit harsh, could lead to people making "toll" claims. Pay them or take hella fire to get through it. I dont see that as something good.

Also, have we heard anything new about defenses? All I've heard recently is them trying to get multiserver support up so we can finally hit open beta (alpha). yay for a not finished game XD
milonti

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:41 pm

Content is easy to add compared to some of the back end coding. The hard part for new content is balancing.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Sevenless » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:38 pm

I think the defense situation is at least... stable for now. They've moved onto other issues in the meantime. Since everyone can make impenetrable fortresses, we're all just sitting happily in our castles.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Next

Return to Help!