Getting Home

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Getting Home

Postby Chris0464 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:57 pm

Hi, new to the game as of a few hours ago and I'm curious as to how you can find your way back to your own claim / first lean-to type thing that the people in boston send you to?

I know you can drop everything and teleport, but is there any way of navigating back without having to drop everything if you're lost? any ingame map system, placing waypoints or anything?

Thanks in advance :D
Chris0464

Re: Getting Home

Postby pushedx » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:19 am

There is no way, unless you are using a client like BDSalem which allows you to set a waypoint on your minimap. The waypoint is cleared each re-zone, so you have to keep in mind to set it each time, due to how the mapping system works.

Without a custom client, your best bet is to find an area that has such a large distinguishable feature that you can always get back to it heading in a cardinal direction. For example, if you built along the east coast, you know you can always get back home by simply traveling east no matter where you were (then travel north/south to your actual location).

The more you play and get a feel for the terrain and region, the more you'll not get lost, but that takes a bit of time.
pushedx

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:33 am

Just wander, consume everything, and then teleport back. I usually don't bother with Savage Charms for silver generation for this reason. You just have to manually empty your inventory (including backback) before you can do this.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Chris0464 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:12 am

Thanks for the tips! Looks like I'll be doing just that, wont be able to landmark my way home at all :shock:

Dropping everything and travelling it is
Chris0464

Postby dullahx » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:48 pm

If you wish to dig into manual map making, and are using Ender or Apxeolog client, check out this tool to make you own maps : http://code.google.com/p/salem-map-tool/
dullahx

Postby tiarali » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:53 pm

When I start exploring around my homestead, I tend to follow rivers and obvious landmarks until I know my way around a bit better. Of course, I do that because I've been totally and completely lost before (didn't know about teleporting home back then, lol).
tiarali

Postby TotalyMoo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:15 pm

tiarali wrote:When I start exploring around my homestead, I tend to follow rivers and obvious landmarks until I know my way around a bit better. Of course, I do that because I've been totally and completely lost before (didn't know about teleporting home back then, lol).

I always do this. Baby steps around the claim until I know the map and area by heart.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Return to Help!