Re: Compost Bin Purity: Oh crap, how do earthworms work?

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Re: Compost Bin Purity: Rough Formula Available

Postby Hans_Lemurson » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:32 am

Yeah, who knows what it'll be like next week?

Anyways, I've got enough data now to test and tweak formulas with, so I'll change the title.
Low FPS? Love Pixels? Try my new graphics pack! It's Pixelicious. :)
Compost Bin purity formula: Now doing science to earthworms
Hans_Lemurson

Re: Compost Bin Purity: Rough Formula Available

Postby Hans_Lemurson » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:05 pm

Ok, guys! The first batch of Element-Rich lumber should be ready to harvest soon.
And that means: IT'S SCIENCE TIME!!!!

As far as I can tell, there is currently only one Material in Compost-Bin construction which has Purity: Boards. (Nails and Wooden Pegs show no indication of having any purity, but you could try testing with those too if you wanted)

Once you make a compost bin with your new Boards, place some null-Purity material in it such as Turkey Droppings or Woodchips from older logs.

Other Experiments:
To see whether Nails and Wooden Pegs have some hidden purity to them that they are not displaying, additional research can be done:

--Using Null-Purity Boards and Pegs, make a new Compost Bin with your locally produced Nails. Keep track of the Iron's purity.

--Using Null-Purity Boards, and Nails made from the Null-Purity Iron sold by an NPC, use some wooden pegs made from a log of known purity. The nails will be expensive, but the sacrifice will be for SCIENCE!!!

For both of these experiments, again use Null-Purity compost inputs such as the aforementioned Turkey Droppings and Woodchips.
Hans_Lemurson

Re: Re: Compost Bin Purity: Rough Formula Available

Postby Darkside » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:36 am

Hmm, I have some pretty disappointing results from my first purity pot:

Code: Select all
       Salt  Merc  Sulf  Lead
       ----- ----- ----- -----
Pot    20.32 23.03 40.93 15.73
Water  18.05 17.39 48.93 15.64
Humus  23.68 23.48 29.73 23.12
       ----- ----- ----- -----
Branch 23.37 23.36 30.71 22.56

So looks like humus works like it does on fields too where it is the most significant factor in determining product.

so you guys with high purity humus pre-patch truly are Kings :)

When is it safe to chop a new tree down (where you get full amount of boards from it) ? It is like the size of a christmas tree now.
Darkside

Postby Hans_Lemurson » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:59 am

Daaaang...that is some humus-heavy purity right there!

Across every element the final value is vastly closer to the Humus than any other influence, never even differing by more than one point. :shock:

Before doing any math I'm going to tentatively toss out a "20x" weight for Humus. The actual constants should be easy to figure out since we only have to find 3 variables but have 4 equations to work with.

I would say that a tree is mature when it is big enough that you can "Strike Cuttings" from it.
Hans_Lemurson

Postby Darkside » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:27 am

Hans_Lemurson wrote:Daaaang...that is some humus-heavy purity right there!

Across every element the final value is vastly closer to the Humus than any other influence, never even differing by more than one point. :shock:

Before doing any math I'm going to tentatively toss out a "20x" weight for Humus. The actual constants should be easy to figure out since we only have to find 3 variables but have 4 equations to work with.

I would say that a tree is mature when it is big enough that you can "Strike Cuttings" from it.

Yeah its pretty intense the humus effect... I cant help wondering though did I mess up somewhere? I am sure I did a good job recording everything but what keeps nagging at me is Karl's results using null purity pot, null purity water and high leadsulphur humus he didnt exactly get that high leadsulphur result...

*correction it was sulphur not lead*

edit: but then I realized I missed one ingredient: the cutting! my cutting was null purity too

Updated with cutting:
       Salt  Merc  Sulf  Lead
       ----- ----- ----- -----
Pot    20.32 23.03 40.93 15.73
Water  18.05 17.39 48.93 15.64
Humus  23.68 23.48 29.73 23.12
Seed   25.00 25.00 25.00 25.00
       ----- ----- ----- -----
Branch 23.37 23.36 30.71 22.56

Karl's Data (incomplete humus stats)
       Salt  Merc  Sulf  Lead
       ----- ----- ----- -----
Pot    25.00 25.00 25.00 25.00
Water  25.00 25.00 25.00 25.00
Humus    ?     ?   95+     ?
Seed   25.00 25.00 25.00 25.00
       ----- ----- ----- -----
Branch 20.84 20.74 36.93 21.50
Darkside

Postby Hans_Lemurson » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:58 am

Ah yes, indeed there is a 4th variable, and one which, if I recall correctly, prompted me to conclude that Humus gives only 1/6th of its value.

My tentative guess is that the "Filled Pot" has a purity which is an average of Humus/Water/Pot, and then that gets averaged again with the Plant that gets put in. This would yield relative weights of: 1/1/1/3 for Pot/Water/Humus/Plant. I'll do some actual math later.
-----
A bit of arithmetic shows that my guess is probably not true. I think we'll have to resort to full-fledged Linear Equation solving.
Hans_Lemurson

Postby Hans_Lemurson » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:34 am

New update = new mechanics. I wonder how earthworms factor in, and if the weighted average is still affected by purity.
Hans_Lemurson

Re: Compost Bin Purity: Time-sensitive Research, plz contrib

Postby dageir » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:39 am

dageir wrote:Im not sure how much work we should put into this considering new updates are coming in this area.
Somebody once wrote, "Hell is the impossibility of reason." That's what this place feels like. Hell
dageir

Re: Compost Bin Purity: Time-sensitive Research, plz contrib

Postby Darkside » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:21 am

dageir wrote:
dageir wrote:Im not sure how much work we should put into this considering new updates are coming in this area.

We're impatient :)
Darkside

Postby k545836 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:54 am

Darkside wrote:So looks like humus works like it does on fields too where it is the most significant factor in determining product.

I remember grinding gardening purity pre update - I never saw more than 2-3% increase even with 90% humus. So i guess that the tree you put into pot matter the most. Just give it 2-3 more iterations to see if humus is a soft cap.
k545836

PreviousNext

Return to Help!