How to UI

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Re: How to UI

Postby Chiprel » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:14 am

Make a run.bat file in yourUSER/salem/bin/ with something like that in it:
Code: Select all
javaw -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -Dhaven.resurl="http://plymouth.seatribe.se/res/" -Dhaven.defserv="plymouth.seatribe.se" -jar salem.jar -d

that -d at end will enable debug mode which displays fps too.

If that won't work you might need to edit path to java which will look somewhat like this:
Code: Select all
"C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe" -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -Dhaven.resurl="http://plymouth.seatribe.se/res/" -Dhaven.defserv="plymouth.seatribe.se" -jar salem.jar -d
dem M_O_V_E_M_E_N_T_O_A_T_M_E_A_L_C_R_A_C_K_E_R_S
Winner of bracket ( award.
<@TotalyMoo> Mushi, will you be my new lover? :<
Chiprel

Postby wenlily » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:18 pm

:?: my middle mouse button does not work to rotate the camera or scoll in and out ... makes it very hard to play. I have logitec track ball. everything else works fine and I do not see a place to configure comands in game.
wenlily
Customer

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:25 am

There isn't a way to assign keys at this point. If it is ever added, it will likely be shortly before release. Do you use the default mouse driver or Logitech's custom driver? Is there anything in the driver to let you configure "button simulations" such as using both left and right mouse buttons to act as a middle mouse button click? There may be utility software available that can do this, too.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby wenlily » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:39 pm

GOT IT - configured it to OTHER - middle button - if anyone else has the issue. long way to go tho. It was the last option lol
wenlily
Customer

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:20 am

Added a missing mouse command and organized a bit better.

Note: there were a couple of updates recently with new mouse commands for placing carried objects. See the OCD update announcement: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4485

I'll try to remember to add them in a couple of days. I've also gotten permission to use a marked-up screenshot of a food item that shows what the values are, and I'll try to remember to add that.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby trinh » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:05 pm

I remember there were command to stop rendering graphics in client

it could be usable for skilling, if someone remembers I would be thankful :)
Image Plymouth! Live free or die trying. #salem @ synIRC statistics ⚔⚔⚔⚔
trinh

Postby Redemption » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:07 am

Im a new player. Just read the UI instructions for terraforming. This was very vague. Leaving me just as confused as before I came to the forums looking for some instructions. ( BTW how about a game guide? This rutting around forums for hours trying to find the answer to one question is absurd)

Ok so do we push the dig command before we push all the ctl+RMB stuff? If not then when do we type in this command? Are all these buttons to be held down at the same time?

Do we dig dirt from another location and then bring it in and dump in our low spots? Or is this a self leveling command where you dig and dump it back down in the same spot?

I would appreciate some help on this. Thanks

Note to the dev who created these commands: There is no reason for these lengthy complex commands and gestures to get one task accomplished. I feel like I have been taken back in time to the 80's and trying to code DOS or something. This game is complex and tedious enough things like this that can only be done with all the magic codes and you must have 8 octopus arms.... come on.
Redemption

Postby fabbra1975 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:24 am

Redemption wrote:Im a new player. Just read the UI instructions for terraforming. This was very vague. Leaving me just as confused as before I came to the forums looking for some instructions. ( BTW how about a game guide? This rutting around forums for hours trying to find the answer to one question is absurd)

Ok so do we push the dig command before we push all the ctl+RMB stuff? If not then when do we type in this command? Are all these buttons to be held down at the same time?

Do we dig dirt from another location and then bring it in and dump in our low spots? Or is this a self leveling command where you dig and dump it back down in the same spot?

I would appreciate some help on this. Thanks

Note to the dev who created these commands: There is no reason for these lengthy complex commands and gestures to get one task accomplished. I feel like I have been taken back in time to the 80's and trying to code DOS or something. This game is complex and tedious enough things like this that can only be done with all the magic codes and you must have 8 octopus arms.... come on.

Hello,

I think it's written somewhere in detail but I can give you the basic commands again. Note that this is an open beta and obviously there is not a detailed manual as things are changing every 2 days or so. The salem wiki is a good source but still not complete and up to date.
First of all get the Enders Client, it has a good leveling tool (ctrl+l to open it). Drag a small area and then click Release to select it. Rotating your camera and looking at tiles colour (blues are low tiles, reds high) gives you the idea of what to do.
Commands are: click the dig button. When you have the cross-shaped pointer, dig in tallest tiles (ctrl+LMB), when it stops digging drop the dirt on lowest tiles (ctrl+RMB). Repeat until the dig command (ctrl+LMB) has no effect on the starting tile.
LMB and RMB without ctrl have the effect of digging on the single tile and not leveling all the adiacent tiles, so use them when you know what you are doing.

Good luck
fabbra1975

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:01 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Redemption. I realize it's not the best written post, but my goal has mainly been to make sure they're documented. I would like to make it nicer and a better read. I'm not a great writer, though. I am very technical in thinking and doing things, so I haven't really put the effort into it yet. I'm afraid I'd leave as many people further confused as without it. I see fabbra answered, though, so I won't repeat it.

There are decent tutorial videos done by Eegore and posted on YouTube you can watch that demos pretty much everything in the game. There's a link to his thread in the "Useful Links" thread here in Help!. If something is missing, he will usually take requests. Sevenless also has a pretty extensive guide on game basics and some of the dos and don'ts.
MagicManICT

Postby Redemption » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:41 pm

Thank you very much for the quick reply fabbra and magic. I will look into all the sources you have provided. It looks as I will need them. :)
Redemption

PreviousNext

Return to Help!