Terrain Types vs Mining

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Re: Terrain Types vs Mining

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:24 pm

Chiprel wrote:(mineholes with trees on top of them probably wont display at all hence its harder in forest)

You can potentially see the tile underneath the tree, though with the larger base trees, you probably can't see the tile. The wand/rod will still point at the tile, though, indicating you need to cut down the tree.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby GaraDasha » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:26 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
Chiprel wrote:(mineholes with trees on top of them probably wont display at all hence its harder in forest)

You can potentially see the tile underneath the tree, though with the larger base trees, you probably can't see the tile. The wand/rod will still point at the tile, though, indicating you need to cut down the tree.

if this is true, mines are not randomly placed in 100 tiles.. maybe u should ad 1 more 0 to that... *1000* tiles maybe ??.. i nearly walked 1x120+ for like another 200 times maybe :S
GaraDasha

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:31 pm

I've no idea what the range on a rod is. I'm not sure if anyone has figured it out. No, I seriously doubt there's always a mine location in every 100x100 map section. Like everything else, they are added randomly to the map, but if there's a min location in 1/10,000 tiles, then that's what it should average out to. That means you might have to cover 4 or 5 map sections to find one.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby GaraDasha » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:43 pm

i found 6 indian feathers.. imagine what i covered mate seriously :/
GaraDasha

Postby Chiprel » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:09 pm

MagicManICT wrote:

Pre wipe I never prospected in forest.(was living far from it)
After wipe while trying to find my first minehole(with woowoo wand ofc) I prospected 3h+ in forest(mapple) without finding single minehole. 15mins on plains and I found 3. Found one in pine forest after around 15mins of prospecting too.
Lately I was prospecting with metal rods- plains only cause forest kinda turned me down. :p Will try prospecting in mapple forest with metal rod and will post results tommorow.
dem M_O_V_E_M_E_N_T_O_A_T_M_E_A_L_C_R_A_C_K_E_R_S
Winner of bracket ( award.
<@TotalyMoo> Mushi, will you be my new lover? :<
Chiprel

Postby Sevenless » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:14 pm

Trying with dowsing rods that aren't P 1.00 will give you a new set of mines that you can see. You could re-cover the same area near you and potentially find your mine.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby GaraDasha » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:28 pm

i think its bugged in forest.. Try placing paves under orange leaves without digging it.. u cant see the pavern cause its covered with flowers.. Maybe this is why i cant see the mine images while im prospecting ?
GaraDasha

Postby dullahx » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:44 pm

Sevenless wrote:
dullahx wrote:don't loose hope, and try to trade for a good quality dowsing rod which will increase the chances to find a mine nearby

Better quality dowsing rods find you mines within a certain purity range of the rod. It does not simply increase the chance of finding a mine.

I know it doesn't 'simply' increases the chances of finding a mine, but it mathematically does since you'll have an higher purity treshold to look for.
(maybe bad english sorry)
dullahx

Postby Sevenless » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:50 pm

dullahx wrote:
Sevenless wrote:
dullahx wrote:don't loose hope, and try to trade for a good quality dowsing rod which will increase the chances to find a mine nearby

Better quality dowsing rods find you mines within a certain purity range of the rod. It does not simply increase the chance of finding a mine.

I know it doesn't 'simply' increases the chances of finding a mine, but it mathematically does since you'll have an higher purity treshold to look for.
(maybe bad english sorry)

It still shouldn't increase your chances because while gaining higher purity that you can see, you're losing the ability to see some lower purity mines (in elements other than the main element type of the rods you're using).

Edit: And we're both assuming that all purity types of mines are equally distributed. We don't really know that. There could be more low P mines than high for all we know.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:40 am

GaraDasha wrote:i think its bugged in forest.. Try placing paves under orange leaves without digging it.. u cant see the pavern cause its covered with flowers.. Maybe this is why i cant see the mine images while im prospecting ?

You may be on to something here, but again, if you were close enough, you'd get your arrow pointing you in the right direction. The marked tile is there just so you know where to center your mineshaft at.
MagicManICT

Previous

Return to Help!