Terrain Types vs Mining

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Terrain Types vs Mining

Postby GaraDasha » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:48 pm

At start of our small camp (which already has farmer house) we thought having a base close to 2+ terrain types & being close to water'ld be nice.. But after using woowoowand (we walked around the base making circles and increasing the size of it at every turn) we couldn't find any metal close to base.. We couldn't even find metal far away from the base.. We feel like playing the game without mining is a total fail..
We think migration is the last hope but having 2+ terrain & water & having mining area at the same time seems a little impossible..

Any ideas or helpfull tips ld be appreciated..
GaraDasha

Re: Terrain Types vs Mining

Postby dullahx » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:08 pm

don't loose hope, and try to trade for a good quality dowsing rod which will increase the chances to find a mine nearby
dullahx

Postby Sevenless » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:25 pm

dullahx wrote:don't loose hope, and try to trade for a good quality dowsing rod which will increase the chances to find a mine nearby

Better quality dowsing rods find you mines within a certain purity range of the rod. It does not simply increase the chance of finding a mine.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby TotalyMoo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:25 pm

dullahx wrote:don't loose hope, and try to trade for a good quality dowsing rod which will increase the chances to find a mine nearby

The quality actually won't increase their chance so much, but getting a Dowsing Rod will, and getting many will do it even more.

Mines are super common, I've heard there's probably a mine every 100 tiles or so. The issue is that you don't always see them using a woowoowand or a rod, since they might be outside your purity range.

A rod can only find a mine that is within a certain range of its own purity. So a purity 0 rod can find purity 0-1 (or something like that), purity 5 rod can find 4-6 (pulling numbers out of my ass here) etc.

So there's most likely at least one mine very close to you, but it might be a purity 3 mine or 20, so if you don't have a rod that is close to the mines purity you won't find it.

Best of luck in your searching!
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby GaraDasha » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:12 pm

Hmm so woowoowand is waste of time :S what do you mean with "but getting a Dowsing Rod will, and getting many will do it even more." Having 1 dowsing rod not enough ?
GaraDasha

Postby TotalyMoo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:15 pm

GaraDasha wrote:Hmm so woowoowand is waste of time :S what do you mean with "but getting a Dowsing Rod will, and getting many will do it even more." Having 1 dowsing rod not enough ?

Many with different purities, I meant. It gives you a wider searching range.

And nah, you can still find a nearby mine with a woo-woo-wand to start you off :)
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

TotalyMoo

Postby GaraDasha » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:18 pm

We've been searching around its been few hours.. Just weird i feel like im doing something wrong ^^
GaraDasha

Postby TotalyMoo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:20 pm

GaraDasha wrote:We've been searching around its been few hours.. Just weird i feel like im doing something wrong ^^

Walk around randomly and don't follow the arrow until you see that it's more stable, that means you're within a few map-tiles of a mine. You will most likely find one within 5-mins walking in some direction of your base. Try walking in expanding circles.

TotalyMoo

Postby Chiprel » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:22 pm

GaraDasha wrote:We've been searching around its been few hours.. Just weird i feel like im doing something wrong ^^

Forest=hardmode
Plains=easy mode
(mineholes with trees on top of them probably wont display at all hence its harder in forest)
dem M_O_V_E_M_E_N_T_O_A_T_M_E_A_L_C_R_A_C_K_E_R_S
Winner of bracket ( award.
<@TotalyMoo> Mushi, will you be my new lover? :<
Chiprel

Postby GaraDasha » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:11 pm

its just desperate :S
GaraDasha

Next

Return to Help!