Combat

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Combat

Postby Festivejelly » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:58 pm

Hello,

I'm fairly new to the game but i'm really struggling with combat. I find it extremely difficult to face the correct way when fighting anything. I swing my punch and the cricket/rabbit/bear whatever simply moves behind me then WHAM hit in the back. I feel its very very clunky at the moment and I'm a bit surprised by this since there was a combat upgrade?

Does anyone have any tips for combat? I've looked at some of the guides but they all seem to be a bit outdated. Opening with a stomp as someone suggested doesnt work since the enemy runs away as soon as you charge it, and it leaves you open to getting hit in the back since the charge time is so long on it.
Festivejelly

Re: Combat

Postby Flameturtle » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:51 pm

Actually having a similar problem myself. I can occasionally kill crickets in a couple hits but sometimes with all their running around a bunny can quite easily take me down. What gives?
Flameturtle

Postby Potjeh » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:06 pm

Don't swing if you're not sure you'll hit, a miss almost always results in you getting hit. The animals are easiest to hit when they're going in to hit you. So I advise you to punch, then move away, and when you see that the animal is following you stomp and then uppercut. It takes some practice to get the hang on when to start the stomp so the animal is in range when the stomp hits, but doesn't have enough time to hit you and cancel your stomp. But once you have that down, it's trivial to kill bunnies and crickets without getting hit. Beavers too, unless they start their dance in which case you should run as far away as you can. Deer and bear aren't quite so easy, deer will charge you while you try to move away and their charge hurts like hell. Bears will get you with fear if you take this long winded combat approach.
Potjeh

Postby Festivejelly » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:22 pm

To me...this makes combat seem a bit complicated. It would be nice if my character would face the way my cursor is point if for example I hold down right like. It would make things a LOT easier.
Festivejelly

Postby Potjeh » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:24 pm

Yes, it could certainly be argued that it should be possible to change facing without moving or attacking. You should be hitting the animal every time it tries to attack you, yeah, but that still doesn't negate this issue.
Potjeh

Postby Festivejelly » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:51 pm

Thanks for the tips Potjeh, ill try them out :)
Festivejelly

Postby Zou » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:17 pm

If you hold control and click, you'll move without attacking, so you can use this method to face the opponent.
Holy Oddipriest of the Oddgod | And so the Oddgod's Master Plan was revealed. Quiver in your chairs!
Zou

Postby Festivejelly » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:12 pm

Zou wrote:If you hold control and click, you'll move without attacking, so you can use this method to face the opponent.

Thats not really what I want though, I want the character to rotate where I drag the mouse.
Festivejelly

Postby staxjax » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:26 pm

The character will face the direction of the cursor to use an attack when you activate it from a hotkey.

Personally, I use the wasd to move around and select the attack I want to use while positioning myself and then click where I want to attack. IE, punch bunny and walk away until you see him following you, select punch and click the rabbit again. Dead rabbit.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby Festivejelly » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:50 pm

staxjax wrote:The character will face the direction of the cursor to use an attack when you activate it from a hotkey.

Personally, I use the wasd to move around and select the attack I want to use while positioning myself and then click where I want to attack. IE, punch bunny and walk away until you see him following you, select punch and click the rabbit again. Dead rabbit.

indeed but its hard to keep facing the target since they bounce around, id like to be able to face the thing without having to move around. Id like to be able to rotate on the spot so to speak.
Festivejelly

Next

Return to Help!