*Request* How to Fight a Bear?

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

*Request* How to Fight a Bear?

Postby robo19 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:34 am

So pre-wipe; I could kill a cricket with my biles at 10, this hasn't changed. I could kill a deer with 13 biles, I couldn't effectively kill a deer until 20-25 biles;

I am currently in my 30 biles yet I still feel I stand no chance at killing a bear!

The only combative skill I don't have is FireArms and I've heard nothing of their effectiveness being improved since wipe so going to assume it's no help.

My thrust averages 7 damage; with a bear's 40 health it would take me 6 thrusts (more like 1 bull run + 6 thrusts) however assuming the bear trades blows I would have to survive 7 hits from a bear (no chance, a deer does 4 damage basic damage hits which would do 28 damage nearly killing me).
* Actually my thrust averages 8 damage now.

Can't stomp a bear as it has a stomp of it's own; the bear's rawr drains black bile.

I've tried to get deer and bear to fight but they typically walk in opposite directions when near each other which alone never happens.

I ask; does anyone know an effective way to take these buggers down?
robo19

Re: *Request* How to Fight a Bear?

Postby Droj » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:55 am

See the pic in my sig. It's doable, we've killed dozens of bears that way. Getting close just isn't an option right now with low humours and it doesn't take as long as you think. 4 mins on your own, 2 with a friend.

Also when it comes to using thrust vs animals only ever use it as the opening attack to get it reeling so that all you need to do is uppercut from then on. It will do more damage than the initial thrust and cost less ybile.
***** the Treaty!
loftar wrote:I not like, you not get
Droj

Postby TotalyMoo » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:19 pm

Droj wrote:Also when it comes to using thrust vs animals only ever use it as the opening attack to get it reeling so that all you need to do is uppercut from then on. It will do more damage than the initial thrust and cost less ybile.

Have people figured out optimal fighting patterns yet? I don't see much talk about the buffs/debuffs added in the new combat.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby Droj » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:47 pm

The only debuff that is game changing is fear as its hard to shrug off after combat or even when the bear is dead.
***** the Treaty!
Droj

Postby McWafflez » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:51 pm

Droj wrote:The only debuff that is game changing is fear as its hard to shrug off after combat or even when the bear is dead.

You would think your character would be relieved instead of still scared after he kills the bear...
Two words: Spinning Tops
McWafflez

Postby TotalyMoo » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:56 pm

McWafflez wrote:
Droj wrote:The only debuff that is game changing is fear as its hard to shrug off after combat or even when the bear is dead.

You would think your character would be relieved instead of still scared after he kills the bear...

It'd take me some time to go from scared to relieved, even after the bear was dead. Maybe fear should go over into adrenaline when the debuff gets too strong, making you go into overdrive - losing biles quickly but doing a lot more damage. Would help in killing bears.

As for how to kill them: use turkeys! They kill them bears like it's the end of the world.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby Droj » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:17 pm

Have you ever had your fear debuff meter full? I suggest you try it and see how long you last before KO. I think you'll be surprised. :D
***** the Treaty!
Droj

Postby Sevenless » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:40 pm

If anything droj, sounds like bears need a better ranged attack if you're sniping them with muskets. Bears are not meant to be easy to take down.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Droj » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:48 pm

I laugh at the thought of bear picking up boulders and lobbing them at you! Its merely an exploit when you can swim across the river but the bear can't. All it will do is just rawr and die slowly. Until muskets are properly implemented I cannot see why this is an unjustified way to kill bears.
***** the Treaty!
Droj

Postby Sevenless » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:20 pm

Droj wrote:I laugh at the thought of bear picking up boulders and lobbing them at you! Its merely an exploit when you can swim across the river but the bear can't. All it will do is just rawr and die slowly. Until muskets are properly implemented I cannot see why this is an unjustified way to kill bears.

Because anyone with a firearm can do it. What's the point of making a fierce animal that pays well and gives amazing food if it can easily be killed?

Besides which, an appropriate "ranged" attack would be the fear wouldn't it? I was actually under the impression that it was ranged and that you couldn't snipe bears that way.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Next

Return to Help!