Trying to start with gf but feeling overwhelmed

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Trying to start with gf but feeling overwhelmed

Postby mistafist » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:18 pm

Hey guys. I've had access to beta for a while but had some trouble with feeling overwhelmed when logging in. My girl friend recently received access as well and I wanted to try and set up an area for both of us to try to progress and build something. I read most of the tutorial by sevenless, however when using the teleport I cannot use to option to bring the party, which I assume isn't implemented.

Basically, I'm looking for some help with direction as to how to get started in building a claim with her. Any chance someone could give me some advice on what would be the best way to go about doing this? I haven't really played any other game similar to this so I'm kind of at a loss. I guess we could just go wander around, but I'm hoping some of you guys with experience can fast track us just through some basics to get started together. If not, thanks for reading anyways.
mistafist

Re: Trying to start with gf but feeling overwhelmed

Postby Johannes1 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:43 pm

Is this what your looking for? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpPkKuZ-EHE
Johannes1

Postby staxjax » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:45 pm

Go wander around together, get far away from boston, build a couple of leantos and voila! You guys will have fun...just avoid other people as much as possible.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby Sevenless » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:47 pm

I'm assuming you read the first steps part of my guide? It only progresses to the point of picking a spot and settling down but that sounds like what you're looking for in my mind. Early game you really don't settle on a spot, you just both party (for arrows to tell you two where you are) and wander for a good while. Best bet would be to start in boston, choose a direction (possibly with the world map in mind) and wander until you find forest+grass+water within a close (2-3 minutes) walk of each other.

Now that's if you're starting hermit. If you want to live in a village, it's a very different progression system. For that you're going to want to head to the Pilgrims subforum and look for someone to live with. How the game progresses and your quality of play will be very tied to who you're starting out with.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby mistafist » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:04 pm

Thank you. All of these are helpful. And Sevenless, yeah I came to the point in your guide about porting out for the leanto. If she can use her port to get to me through me setting up permissions etc, that's very helpful. Also, I'm assuming when I set these permissions she is basically like a co-owner for the most part? Ok thanks guys, I think I have enough to get into it now along with following Sevenless's guide. BTW very much appreciate you taking the time to write that up.
mistafist

Postby Sevenless » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:12 pm

mistafist wrote:Thank you. All of these are helpful. And Sevenless, yeah I came to the point in your guide about porting out for the leanto. If she can use her port to get to me through me setting up permissions etc, that's very helpful. Also, I'm assuming when I set these permissions she is basically like a co-owner for the most part? Ok thanks guys, I think I have enough to get into it now along with following Sevenless's guide. BTW very much appreciate you taking the time to write that up.

Thanks mate, and no. Leantos don't work like that. That's for claims quite specifically. All it allows her to do is act on the claim as if the area was unclaimed, you are still the sole owner of said claim.

Until you get a claim up, she's not able to teleport to you. It's probably better if she tries to walk to you if possible. Alternatively you could spend a little money in the cash shop and grind out the settling ability. With current pricing, 10$ would be enough to get you a claim she could teleport to. 5$ theoretically, but you'd have to add a little silver in yourself possibly, not sure.

Currently how that teleporting thinger works is a bit of a mess. Devs and players are going back and forth over how to solve the issue.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby TotalyMoo » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:53 pm

staxjax wrote:You guys will have fun...just avoid other people as much as possible.

Best MMO - ever.

I highly recommend walking for a while and then finding a decent place to have a temporary settlement. The feeling of actually having a home in the start of the game helps motivate a lot, in my opinion. Of course it's better to just wander and study/eat hardcore all the time - but that's a little too grindy for me. It wouldn't be the approach I took if I played with my girlfriend as she would think of Salem as "Progress Bars: The Game".
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Return to Help!