This game is increasingly annoying!

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

This game is increasingly annoying!

Postby Silushun » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:19 pm

Why does my client always seem to crash randomly, specially when you attack a mob.. I end up losing all my crap because I can't find it again, because the stupid thing wants to close itself and i can't reconnect until im dead -.-
Silushun

Re: This game is increasingly annoying!

Postby Sevenless » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:24 pm

You're probably using Java 7. Switching to Java 6 clears up most of these issues.

Why it happens, I really don't know. You can reconnect before dead if you crash the Javaw process in task manager.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Sparkky » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:24 pm

A really handy thing to have is a batch file that can close all your java instances

Just open notepad, put this one line on it
tskill javaw* /A

then save it as javakill.bat

now double click it and it will use "tskill" to kill all processes that start with javaw

Get into the habit of using it after you quit as well, it garuntees you actually quit and aren't left sitting in the world.
Sparkky

Postby Bluestone » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:28 pm

Sparkky wrote:A really handy thing to have is a batch file that can close all your java instances

Just open notepad, put this one line on it
tskill javaw* /A

then save it as javakill.bat

now double click it and it will use "tskill" to kill all processes that start with javaw

Get into the habit of using it after you quit as well, it garuntees you actually quit and aren't left sitting in the world.

Thank you! Got tired of ctrl+alt+del haha. This will be much faster if I get DC'd randomly. Have to keep Java 7 myself to run a minecraft tekkit server.
Don't forget to check out the Salem Wiki for all your salem information needs
Bluestone

Postby Sharie » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:00 am

Bluestone wrote:Thank you! Got tired of ctrl+alt+del haha. This will be much faster if I get DC'd randomly. Have to keep Java 7 myself to run a minecraft tekkit server.

You can have multiple versions of java installed and tell each program which one it should use, it's a bit tricky, but google is your friend.
Sharie

Postby Bluestone » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:06 am

Sharie wrote:
Bluestone wrote:Thank you! Got tired of ctrl+alt+del haha. This will be much faster if I get DC'd randomly. Have to keep Java 7 myself to run a minecraft tekkit server.

You can have multiple versions of java installed and tell each program which one it should use, it's a bit tricky, but google is your friend.

I have tried that, but Googled failed me - I could not get it to work for me so I just deal with the salem crashes.
Don't forget to check out the Salem Wiki for all your salem information needs
Bluestone

Postby Silushun » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:04 pm

Thanks for the replies sorry about my little rage moment. It's just annoying XD.
Silushun

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:14 pm

Just a quick thought: Isn't Java 6 supposed to be scheduled for auto-updating to 7 this fall? In other words, you'll have to manually go in and disable this if you don't want to upgrade. (It's been pushed back once already due to some of these bugs... think it was originally scheduled for July?)
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Sevenless » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:17 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Just a quick thought: Isn't Java 6 supposed to be scheduled for auto-updating to 7 this fall? In other words, you'll have to manually go in and disable this if you don't want to upgrade. (It's been pushed back once already due to some of these bugs... think it was originally scheduled for July?)

What I'd really like to know: Can loftar fix this? (whoever's fault it actually is)

Saying "oops, sorry, the most updated version of java doesn't work with my game" doesn't look good on Salem.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:33 pm

Sevenless wrote:What I'd really like to know: Can loftar fix this? (whoever's fault it actually is)

Saying "oops, sorry, the most updated version of java doesn't work with my game" doesn't look good on Salem.

Maybe not. It may be an internal issue with Java that needs to be fixed by Sun, and any hacks or workarounds loftar does might need to be fixed yet again when the internal bug actually gets fixed. I hate these transitional periods like this because you have so many "early adopters" that have no hindsight and force people to upgrade to use their software. I realize that Java 7 has been out for over a year now, but as we can see, that's still not enough time to get all the bugs fixed. (Just doing a longer beta doesn't work, either, because people don't upgrade and then the bugs still don't get found.)

I agree with your sentiments, but that's a problem all developers have, especially when a new code base is out you're trying to be compatible with. Then again, this is a beta test just so these sorts of issues can be found and worked out. If that's still there come launch, then I will have to agree that it will look poorly on Seatribe. But then... you have publishers like Oblivion and look how buggy the Gamebryo engine (Fallout 3, Elder Scrolls) is.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Next

Return to Help!