This game is increasingly annoying!

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Re: This game is increasingly annoying!

Postby Sevenless » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:36 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
Sevenless wrote:What I'd really like to know: Can loftar fix this? (whoever's fault it actually is)

Saying "oops, sorry, the most updated version of java doesn't work with my game" doesn't look good on Salem.

Maybe not. It may be an internal issue with Java that needs to be fixed by Sun, and any hacks or workarounds loftar does might need to be fixed yet again when the internal bug actually gets fixed. I hate these transitional periods like this because you have so many "early adopters" that have no hindsight and force people to upgrade to use their software. I realize that Java 7 has been out for over a year now, but as we can see, that's still not enough time to get all the bugs fixed. (Just doing a longer beta doesn't work, either, because people don't upgrade and then the bugs still don't get found.)

I agree with your sentiments, but that's a problem all developers have, especially when a new code base is out you're trying to be compatible with. Then again, this is a beta test just so these sorts of issues can be found and worked out. If that's still there come launch, then I will have to agree that it will look poorly on Seatribe. But then... you have publishers like Oblivion and look how buggy the Gamebryo engine (Fallout 3, Elder Scrolls) is.

I definitely agree this isn't SeaTribe's fault, the issue is they still lose potential longterm customers. Java 7 Salem is horrendous for crashing, and I wouldn't be willing to downgrade Java for a new game I found. Heck, I still use Java 7 and occasionally get a KO from hunting because of it.

Neat to hear the reason why it's going on. Thanks.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby loftar » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:05 pm

Sevenless wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:Just a quick thought: Isn't Java 6 supposed to be scheduled for auto-updating to 7 this fall? In other words, you'll have to manually go in and disable this if you don't want to upgrade. (It's been pushed back once already due to some of these bugs... think it was originally scheduled for July?)

What I'd really like to know: Can loftar fix this? (whoever's fault it actually is)

Saying "oops, sorry, the most updated version of java doesn't work with my game" doesn't look good on Salem.

I'm not actually aware of any bugs caused by Java 7, however.

If anything, I think Ender's client is affected by bugs in Java 7 however, and since I haven't gotten any error reports from Silushun, I'm guessing that's what he uses.
loftar

Postby Sevenless » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:48 pm

loftar wrote:
Sevenless wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:Just a quick thought: Isn't Java 6 supposed to be scheduled for auto-updating to 7 this fall? In other words, you'll have to manually go in and disable this if you don't want to upgrade. (It's been pushed back once already due to some of these bugs... think it was originally scheduled for July?)

What I'd really like to know: Can loftar fix this? (whoever's fault it actually is)

I'm not actually aware of any bugs caused by Java 7, however.

If anything, I think Ender's client is affected by bugs in Java 7 however, and since I haven't gotten any error reports from Silushun, I'm guessing that's what he uses.

Hmm, I shall enquire to him about this then. My apologies loftar.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby loftar » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:05 pm

Sevenless wrote:My apologies loftar.

What is this overly sensitive forum atmosphere? I haven't been insulted once, and I'm even getting apologized to for nothing. These are not the forums I love and know. ¦]
loftar

Postby Sevenless » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:10 pm

loftar wrote:

What is this overly sensitive forum atmosphere? I haven't been insulted once, and I'm even getting apologized to for nothing. These are not the forums I love and know. ¦]

We're still shaking off the bad mooju of paradox politeness. But more seriously I've always been overly polite :P
Sevenless

Postby sabinati » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:15 pm

loftar wrote:

Java sucks and your code sucks. Time to switch to C#.NET and roll with the big boys.
Admin for Salem Wiki • Make suggestions or complaints in the Wiki Suggestion thread
sabinati

Postby jorb » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:16 pm

sabinati wrote:Java sucks and your code sucks. Time to switch to C#.NET and roll with the big boys.

A+ ¦]
jorb

Postby TotalyMoo » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:38 pm

jorb wrote:
sabinati wrote:Java sucks and your code sucks. Time to switch to C#.NET and roll with the big boys.

A+ ¦]

Jeez, what's with that emote? So smugly satisfied!

As for being polite, it does make things nicer at times, especially in the Help! forum.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby five9 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:53 pm

the game seems to be running shakey with frequent lockups and freezes that it didnt have last week, and there have been updates since then,, and the java has been the same

just saying
five9

Previous

Return to Help!