Keys

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Keys

Postby weirdg » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:35 pm

Hey

I have a question I haven't been able to figure out. Let's say I've made a lock and a have a Masterkey, how do I enable another of my character (on same account) access to a copy of the key, either Slave or Master Copy? I cannot "Use the key" on my alt...

I've tried using it on his name in Buddy-list, didn't work
I've tried giving him the Master Copy key via a chest, didn't work, lights up red (not useable)
weirdg

Re: Keys

Postby Sevenless » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:50 pm

Keys need to be attuned via left click key, right click character and wait. You can't use keys like that between the same account as far as I know anymore.

You used to be able to copy master keys if you weren't attuned to them. This seems to have possibly been disabled.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby weirdg » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:06 am

Have another issue with keys and locks. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to add a lock to the door of a Farmer's House. Can it be done?
weirdg

Postby Sevenless » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:10 am

weirdg wrote:Have another issue with keys and locks. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to add a lock to the door of a Farmer's House. Can it be done?

not atm

Structure bashing is dealt with as the whole house. Locks on a house door would be OP atm since there's no way to pick them, and the only other option is to nuke the house.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:05 pm

How is that OP since you can't put defensive devices inside the house? Are the currently known houses significantly higher soak than the current fences to make it near impossible to break in? Granted, I'd rather have a door bashable (and require repair) rather than losing the whole house. Maybe design it so you only have to bash to 50% or so to be able to walk in the door that has a lock on it (and thus breaking the lock). House is repairable, raiders don't have to spend as much time knocking it down... not really a win-win, but not a massive win-lose, either.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby five9 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:14 am

how do keys work concerning kin after youve died?

you build your mega compound, have it all locked up,, gates chests etc.... and your new kin is locked out of everything?

can we even copy keys- for kin if we die? then again thatd defeat the purpose of locking anything to have a spare around if we die?

im kinda lost to how these situations would work, and figured since its about keys, his might be a good thread for it
five9

Postby staxjax » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:41 am

Five9, I think that is why copies of master keys can be made if the key does not belong to you. Just store your master key on an alt, then you would have to have somebody make a copy of it and attune it to the new character. IMO, it is kinda dumb that you can make a copy of a master key that does not belong to you, but you cannot make slaves from it. Wouldn't it just be easier to have characters be given their keyring back upon inheriting their claim?
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby Sevenless » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:51 pm

MagicManICT wrote:How is that OP since you can't put defensive devices inside the house? Are the currently known houses significantly higher soak than the current fences to make it near impossible to break in? Granted, I'd rather have a door bashable (and require repair) rather than losing the whole house. Maybe design it so you only have to bash to 50% or so to be able to walk in the door that has a lock on it (and thus breaking the lock). House is repairable, raiders don't have to spend as much time knocking it down... not really a win-win, but not a massive win-lose, either.

House soak isn't designed to deal with this. The entire system would need to be reworked for it. Think about it. It's millions of times easier to build a house and lock it than it would be to get the equivalent protection from walls and braziers.

As for houses being defenceless inside: Yes I agree entirely. My thought is that houses should have an automatic BB drain equivalent to 2-4 braziers.
Sevenless

Postby robo19 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:34 pm

Just a thought to the problem of providing access to locks on alts;

What if you attuned 2 separate master keys to 1 lock?

Steps: Attune Master Key to Lock on main;
Place lock in crate/box/storage;
Log onto Alternative character
Make NEW masterkey;
Attune said master key to lock.
Place lock.

Would both master keys work?
robo19

Postby staxjax » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:43 pm

robo19 wrote:Just a thought to the problem of providing access to locks on alts;

What if you attuned 2 separate master keys to 1 lock?

Steps: Attune Master Key to Lock on main;
Place lock in crate/box/storage;
Log onto Alternative character
Make NEW masterkey;
Attune said master key to lock.
Place lock.

Would both master keys work?

Yeah it will work, if your altvault has lock smithing ability.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Next

Return to Help!