Can Anybody Explain Learning Ability better?

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Can Anybody Explain Learning Ability better?

Postby Sparkky » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:42 am

I was told the trick was to rotate 3 items and it will keep giving you max returns.

I've tried this with arts for example with top, cross and scrap.

if I go top, cross, scrap, top, cross, scrap, top, cross, scrap

The first 3 are 100% the next 3 are 70%, and the next 3 are 50%

On IRC they were claiming that following this rotation you would always get 100% for your items as it would reset the Learning Ability, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Is resetting the learning ability even possible? Because I'm not seeing it.
Sparkky

Re: Can Anybody Explain Learning Ability better?

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:01 am

We're working on a thorough explanation of it. The claims are according to a post loftar made in another thread. Testing has shown that it's not likely right, though.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Bluestone » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:05 am

From personal testing I think you need to study a completely new item in between to get the best results. I am not convinced it is working as intended or everyone just doesn't understand the explanation that was provided.

ADDED: Like Magicman says, likely not right.
Don't forget to check out the Salem Wiki for all your salem information needs
Bluestone

Postby staxjax » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:56 am

I dont agree with what loftar said at all. For 3 different study items (#1, #2, #3) It works like this:

Study #1 100%
Study #2 100%
Study #3 100%
Study #1 70%
Study #2 70%
Study #3 70%
etc.

or like this
Study #1 100%
Study #1 70%
Study #1 50%
etc.

Nothing gets reset, and the LA modifier only applies to the next item that you study of the same type.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby Tonkyhonk » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:43 pm

maybe this?
(i myself havent tried it, but you might have missed reading the last edited part of his post.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tonkyhonk

Postby five9 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:43 pm

Tonkyhonk wrote:maybe this?
(i myself havent tried it, but you might have missed reading the last edited part of his post.

ya pretty much the last edited part, and we can throw a 3rd and more in there and rotate it even better,
(it may be capped at 3 though, ive not tested beyond two, i suspect its capped at 3 ?)

from what ive noticed,the 1st time an item is used, it'll net 100%,, after that, the best ya can do is get 70% from multiple uses of an identical item ....

and it seems there is only one way to 'reset' an already used item to net 70% from using it again...

and that's by using a completely new and different item then used before anywhere in the mix

IE: lets go after some sugar and spice by focusing on devils worts and decorative wood carvings

* = max gain from item in sequence

devils wort at 100% *
wood choppings at 100% < new to reset
devils wort at 70% *
decorative wood carving 100% < new to reset *
devils wort 70% *
smooth stone 100% < new to reset
decorative wood carving 70% *
grass whistle 100% < new to reset
devils wort 70% *
rock maracas 100% < new to reset
decorative wood carving 70% *
now if say, i try to throw another wood chopping in to reset it,, it'll reset it to 50% not 70% and keep diminishing (per item)

one could throw 2,3 etc.. in there for gains at 100% the 1st use and 70% thereafter...

but you have to use completely new items to reset , because prior used ones keep diminishing

(of course it all gets reset when the button is clicked or a skill bought)

and remember the term "reset" (for the lack of a better term) i use here is to describe how to reset the sequence for highest gains , using multiple identical items

i'm not 100% sure, as testing new ways and combo's seem to come up with more ideas etc.. but take from it what ya will and please...add any info ya find

and , if ya can explain this better,, please do so ...i confuse myself LMAO to
five9

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:43 pm

That's not too far off from what I've found, though I can't put it any better right now. I'm trying to find a place to set up shop and then hopefully will put the time in to recording some numbers and such.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Sevenless » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:07 pm

I've added my explanation to my guide linked ala sig below. Hope it helps.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby five9 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:06 pm

thanks guys, its one of those things...i think we have a grasp on it, but its pretty hard to explain in a simple easy way

i think the key to stress is you have to use completely new items to reset to the highest bonus possible when reusing the same item in a sequence

nice guide sevenless :D
five9

Postby Sevenless » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:23 pm

five9 wrote:thanks guys, its one of those things...i think we have a grasp on it, but its pretty hard to explain in a simple easy way

i think the key to stress is you have to use completely new items to reset to the highest bonus possible when reusing the same item in a sequence

nice guide sevenless :D

Was obviously intended to be written at some point, just figured I'd do it now since there was discussion on the matter. And thanks :)
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Next

Return to Help!