Ideas for beginning skills for a video.

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Ideas for beginning skills for a video.

Postby Eegore » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:59 am

Well i got a request for a video that sounded kind of fun, someone wanted me to make a video of what should be some of the first skills to get within your first week or so in salem, and why. Obviously what you choose to do later in game changes things, and once purity gets implemented it will effect it too. But heres a chance to post your opinions on your starting build ideas, why they are a good idea, and just have fun with it. Once enough suggestions are given i will post the video here(in hopes i dont butcher it ^_^) and maybe some of the first things you do when starting out in the world! Have fun, get creative, and try to keep it clean ;)

PS: apologies if this thread should be somewhere else.
Eegore

Re: Ideas for beginning skills for a video.

Postby Sevenless » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:05 am

Eegore wrote:Well i got a request for a video that sounded kind of fun, someone wanted me to make a video of what should be some of the first skills to get within your first week or so in salem, and why. Obviously what you choose to do later in game changes things, and once purity gets implemented it will effect it too. But heres a chance to post your opinions on your starting build ideas, why they are a good idea, and just have fun with it. Once enough suggestions are given i will post the video here(in hopes i dont butcher it ^_^) and maybe some of the first things you do when starting out in the world! Have fun, get creative, and try to keep it clean ;)

PS: apologies if this thread should be somewhere else.

Going to be writing an entire section on the first steps skill, silver investments and humour wise. Early game won't be influenced much since we've been more or less told forageables will never get purity back. I wouldn't worry about starting work on your video, I think early game development isn't going to change much from here on out. I will write out a sketch of my beginner skill tree perhaps tomorrow but it's late right now for me. Hermit vs Settlement player also influences how they should develop.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Bluestone » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:13 am

I highly recommend getting childish things first and then survival skill second lol :D
Don't forget to check out the Salem Wiki for all your salem information needs
Bluestone

Postby Eegore » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:37 am

Bluestone wrote:I highly recommend getting childish things first and then survival skill second lol :D

Thats the video right there, perfect! :D
Eegore

Postby Droj » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:38 am

Go straight for blacksmithing/mining if you want to raid/pvp. Farming if your planning on being peaceful and making mega bucks after the time investment. Hunting is somewhere in between, good for making a quick buck at the start mainly from the sale of backpacks and there are many things you can sell to Boston.

Always go for a wander, survey the surrounding area first at least a 30mins walk in all directions. Forests are great at the start for foraging and picking up inspirationals.

Leanto's can privately store 2 objects, not many people know this.

Gluttony up when you can, do it evenly, 10 in each biles is a good start.

Fishing is a good source of ybile and BB foods early on, berries on a straw for blood, sizzled slug, lean rabbit for phlegm, wiches hat for BB.

You can make silver by making savage charms (Indian tracking) cricket teams (self defence, small game hunting) and selling hides & pelts.

First thing you should buy is a writ of homesteading (settling) especially if you have friends who you plan on playing with. This gives them the option to teleport straight to your claim by talking to the wilderness guide.
***** the Treaty!
loftar wrote:I not like, you not get
Droj

Postby TotalyMoo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:01 pm

Droj wrote:Fishing is a good source of ybile and BB foods early on, berries on a straw for blood, sizzled slug, lean rabbit for phlegm, wiches hat for BB.

This is the most important thing to stress IMO. Higher biles makes things SO much easier.
I never managed to figure out something clever for my signature on Paradoxplaza, and I doubt I'll do it here either.

"ur a mod till u shwo ur a admin"
TotalyMoo

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:11 pm

I've gotten 5 or 6 points of Phlegm off of fish. The only thing I haven't gotten significant amounts of off fish is blood, and that's because I haven't caught the right ones. So yeah, fishing is definitely one of those "must have" skills.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby Sevenless » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:44 pm

MagicManICT wrote:I've gotten 5 or 6 points of Phlegm off of fish. The only thing I haven't gotten significant amounts of off fish is blood, and that's because I haven't caught the right ones. So yeah, fishing is definitely one of those "must have" skills.

There's a couple fish recipes that work for that. I think fish on the rocks can do blood? Anyway:

Survival Skills >
Free Wildy port >
Did you get screwed (y/n - Did it stick you on a mountain, etc) >
Walk from boston or walk from new leanto (you will not be living where it dropped you, that's just to get you away from boston) >
Colonial tradesmanship (curios) >
Foraging (food/curios) >
Lore of the Lumb (cut up blocks for curios) >
Hiking (leanto > new home if required!) >
Exploration (Food/curios) >
Indian Tracking (money!) >
Swimming (only because of jesus walking without phlegm at the moment)

These are the bare line basics required by a wandering forager. There's absolutely no reason to truly settle down until you've achieved this. All of the skills are reasonably easy to acquire without any true storage space either. I always look at things from the perspective of a solo hermit because it's easier to include other people than to look at things as a group and have them try to figure out how to live alone.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby Eegore » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:03 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys! appreciate it, ill will be putting something together here soon.
Eegore

Return to Help!