Gardening and Purity

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Re: Gardening and Purity

Postby staxjax » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:17 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Assuming water from a well will be anything other than base purity.

If the prospecting mechanics for finding higher purity metal deposits are any indication, then they will most definitely have higher than base purity.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most - Ozzy Osbourne

Confirmed retards: Nimmeth, Claeyt, MycroSparks
staxjax

Postby Sevenless » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:30 pm

staxjax wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:Assuming water from a well will be anything other than base purity.

If the prospecting mechanics for finding higher purity metal deposits are any indication, then they will most definitely have higher than base purity.

Not... necessarily? Someone mentioned an idea that Jorb had involving bathing items in lime to increase purity. If you extrapolate from that, it could be minute base differences in purity like ore, that are then amplified through player work.

The big difference here between foraging nodes and metal nodes (if they're like haven's eventually) is that metal nodes get used up. As such finding an uber high purity node would be a one time thing. Forage nodes provided infinite benefit.

Unless you've seen a metal node above 1.2 purity multiplier. In which case, do tell.
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:51 pm

You're not familiar with the old mining mechanics from HnH. It's pretty much what we have now and the nodes were, for all practical purposes, infinite. At least, a couple of people I've spoken to about it said that they had never actually dried one up. If the pocket universe mine stays around, I expect it to stay pretty much the same. Of course, this could change before release and we have this just because it was available and easy to do.
I am a moderator. I moderate stuff. When I do, I write in this color.
JohnCarver wrote:anybody who argues to remove a mechanic that allows "yet another" way to summon somebody is really a carebear in disguise trying to save his own hide.
MagicManICT

Postby staxjax » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:54 pm

Yes, I have seen higher than 1.2 purity metal ore.

I don't think either of you are familiar with the current prospecting mechanics in Salem. Make rods, find a higher deposit, make new rods from that, find a higher deposit, etc. You can try it yourself, but it really is a waste of time to prospect/build mines at the moment because there is nothing that is affected by metal purity. I suppose you can get ready for future changes though.

As a side note, woo woo wands aren't even supposed to be for finding metal, just wells.

staxjax

Postby Sevenless » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:11 am

staxjax wrote:Yes, I have seen higher than 1.2 purity metal ore.

I don't think either of you are familiar with the current prospecting mechanics in Salem. Make rods, find a higher deposit, make new rods from that, find a higher deposit, etc. You can try it yourself, but it really is a waste of time to prospect/build mines at the moment because there is nothing that is affected by metal purity. I suppose you can get ready for future changes though.

As a side note, woo woo wands aren't even supposed to be for finding metal, just wells.

Fascinating Stax. No I wasn't aware of that. In pre-commercial when I made better p rods the mines that were produced were only 1.12 or so. I assumed simply that it was normal variance. What is the highest you've gotten to?
It's been neat to see the evolution of a game. Salem has come so far, and still has far to go. Although frustrating, I think it's been an experience worth the effort.
Sevenless

Postby staxjax » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:16 am

Not very high, as that is way too much of a grind for a single person to bother with. The alchemical composition of the rods determines the min/max alchemical compositions of metal deposits you can see when prospecting. ie. high sulphur rods will find even higher sulphuric metal deposits.

And to put this thread back on topic, that is why I think woowoowands will work the same way. They already have the mechanics implemented, but the grind associated with finding wells might be a bit absurd. Something liket his: make wand from tree, use wand to find water, make new tree with new water, make new wand, prospect new wells, so on and so forth.

staxjax

Postby Sevenless » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:32 am

staxjax wrote:Not very high, as that is way too much of a grind for a single person to bother with. The alchemical composition of the rods determines the min/max alchemical compositions of metal deposits you can see when prospecting. ie. high sulphur rods will find even higher sulphuric metal deposits.

And to put this thread back on topic, that is why I think woowoowands will work the same way. They already have the mechanics implemented, but the grind associated with finding wells might be a bit absurd. Something liket his: make wand from tree, use wand to find water, make new tree with new water, make new wand, prospect new wells, so on and so forth.

I'm not entirely sure the grind is absurd, the issue is it starts slow. Going from 25-29 lead gives you about a gain of .1, however going from 50-59 gives a much larger gain. Doing a rough guess, that's a gain of .8 purity multiplier (the concentrations of side elements obviously influence the exact gain, but it's a lot larger).

Anyway, it's really neat to know this system might not be a placeholder after all.
Sevenless

Previous

Return to Help!