how was I able to die while not in the game?

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Re: how was I able to die while not in the game?

Postby NeiroShop » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:55 am

scabby wrote:Maybe I'm not understood correctly. I'm not giving false information because i'm looking for help not sympathy. Is it possible that the java TSR can stay connected to the server even if the client appears shut down? Even so, the computer I played on is shut down every night playing on Ubuntu 16.04. I know in minecraft java can stay active after the client is shut down but it's never happened in Salem...again, I'm guessing. I got my homestead back through inheritance as I've done before...I simply don't understand how I died when I used my bed to log out and I've never played AFK...not in Salem.

There have been cases when someone clicked their bed and they get disconnected right before they went to sleep(logout) So their character stayed online and gained madness. Only other way i could think of would be lv9 madness and going to bed with cursed teddybear but even then i think you might be able to log in and then die.

So yes Its either you dropped scents or you accidentally was left online.
NeiroShop

Postby Taipion » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:45 pm

The java process may, in some rare cases, persist after closing the game, so in theory it might happen somehow that you think you went to bed but crashed or closed too early or whatever and stayed online for as long as the PC was running.

Scents are the far most probable explanation to unexpected deaths though.

Being "3 days ago" one may rule out a freeze/madness-death from a coldsnap

... how high was your madness lvl when you last played that char?
... is there a "hanged man" nearby your settlement?
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Paradoxyc » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:52 pm

Cursed?
Paradoxyc
Customer

Postby belgear » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:04 pm

Wheres the skeleton?
if it is no where near your claim you were summoned elsewhere and obviously somehow commited a crime. If it is near your home check for scents. If a revenge scent someone summoned you. If murder you may have exited instead of logged out and someone caught you in the amount of time it takes for your character to disappear. If no scents it was either a witch or you stood there till you died (probably because you hit x instead of act lo)
belgear
Customer

Postby scabby » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:52 pm

No claim, just a homestead ...skeleton near my bed...not in town, not frozen, madness was cool...I whittled a lot...I'm back at my camp now with a descendant who can play with toys :)

thanks for all the people who tried to sort this out...it's frustrating but it is a game that affords you multiple ways to die.
scabby

Previous

Return to Help!