I'm frozen

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

I'm frozen

Postby kemil88 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:23 am

I am pretty sure it's because of Hypothermia but I just don't know if it's because of a bug or if devs did drink their brain (in case it's a feature)

I started the game with 100 Hypothermia, now it's 67 and I can do nothing, what I want to know is, if this is a feature, how should a player start playing this game when he start already frozen to an ice cube 'till everbloom comes?! There's totally no way to prevent it, no speaking about totally new players, but even actual pros can't start playing in this envoirment!

P.S. Did stop playing since years and this is a new character, so I don't know what is happening arround, maybe they already know and they are fixing this, idk, just tell me what should I do, it's pretty crazy to suppose that I should just wait a lot of real life time just for everbloom comes!
kemil88

Re: I'm frozen

Postby Paradoxyc » Fri May 25, 2018 11:08 am

Make a new character, get the skills for torches in the tutorial area, make a torch and some clothes before you leave the tutorial and then add your other character and invite him to a party in order to thaw him out (may want to use a new account so you can double client)
Paradoxyc
Customer

Postby kemil88 » Fri May 25, 2018 11:12 am

I can't fast travel to my old character just by adding him to friend list...and my old character can't move...I could just make a new character since the current one is totally new, but developers must be totally insane if they think people will play their game when you can't even starting 50% the times without being impossibilitated to play!
Tutorial is annoying, it should help new players to understand how the game works but old players must still do it and it's unskippable.
In all honesty, there's another game that is 90% like this and people when chosing between the 2 will totally not chose one that doesn't let them even move if it's not spring season!
kemil88

Postby Champie » Fri May 25, 2018 11:44 am

kemil88 wrote:there's another game that is 90% like this

I would love to know the name of the game that is 90% like Salem.

BTW, I was going to respond to your post earlier but I couldn't imagine what I could say to a new player that would make sense to them. There is no easy way to start your first character during the Cold Snap. However, there are a few things you can do to help yourself give it a try.

You will want to be able to warm up indoors as frequently as possible while you work toward a clothing set that prevents you from gaining the Hypothermia debuff. You can heat rocks in a lit fireplace and put them in your inventory to provide some warmth. It may take some time to get the skill to make a torch, but perhaps a kind pilgrim can make one for you? My advice is to start your new adventure mostly around the Providence claim for several reasons.
- First, you have access to several buildings that can be entered and give you the chance to warm up. And if you do freeze in town, it is very easy to get someone to unfreeze you. In fact, you could probably even beg for clothes as you stand next to a lighted fireplace (right click the fireplace to engage and gain its warmth)
- Second, you might be able to beg for some clothes. But if you can't, the coastal waters of Providence are lush with reeds. It doesn't take long to gather enough reeds and weave them together (right click one reed on top of another in inventory and select weave) to make a shirt, pants, and a hat. By continuing to forage around providence you can also gather enough grass to make some Haybale Shoes. Eventually you will also be able to make a Pinescale Armor. Since you started with a Pilgrim's Robes in your shirt slot, simply switch it to your Coat slot and now you have 6 of 7 slots with something, only missing a Cloak. However, you will probably still get the Hypothermia debuff, but you won't freeze (as quickly).
-Third, you will probably need to forage and explore a bit to find the items you need to study, glutton and build a base of operations, but always be mindful to remain close enough to your lean-to so you can port to providence if necessary. That may require you to always be prepared with materials to build a lean-to before you journey away from your home.

Of course, you may get lucky and find an abandoned and broken claim that is stocked with useful items that get you well-equipped for your new adventures in Salem. And again, it doesn't hurt to ask for help in Providence or on the forums. I am sure there is something beneficial that I have failed to mention. I hope that someone else can fill in any information gaps I left.

Salem Away!
Champie

Postby kemil88 » Fri May 25, 2018 11:49 am

The point is that the only moment when a new player start searching for these things is when it's too late, when they are frozen solid and have to wait a week for new season.

About the game that is 90% salem, it's Haven & Hearth
kemil88

Postby Champie » Fri May 25, 2018 11:57 am

kemil88 wrote:The point is that the only moment when a new player start searching for these things is when it's too late, when they are frozen solid and have to wait a week for new season.

About the game that is 90% salem, it's Haven & Hearth

I understand, but they don't have to wait a week for Everbloom if they seek help like you did. Now you are well equipped to take on the challenge of starting a new character during a Cold Snap. The 2 hours it took for your first character to freeze is like an extended tutorial. Congratulations, you have completed it!
Champie

Postby grapefruitv » Fri May 25, 2018 1:37 pm

When you get hypothermia for the first time, you have this pop up

You also can access these helpful notes in help section in your client.
There are very intuitive ways to avoid hypothermia. Like getting warmer clothes, getting inside or standing near fire.
grapefruitv

Postby kemil88 » Fri May 25, 2018 2:30 pm

Not when you start in cold season, you will just get frozen solid before you can even discover how cold it is hahaha
kemil88

Postby tao5858 » Fri May 25, 2018 3:18 pm

i think you still have time to build a fireplace to warm you up if you start in cold snap, or heated stone(put any stone in fireplace)
if its a fresh new character, just let it die and make a new one:P
tao5858

Postby Adelewhy » Sat May 26, 2018 9:07 pm

Grapie pointed out a great point.. that box will popup BEFORE frozen once you start to get cold. It's not an instant freeze it takes a little while so you definitely have time to read the box. There is also a guy in town who says "check the forums or miss valuable information" over and over again.

Champie laid out the best ways to handle the problem. I'll also add you can hid from the cold in a house in town. There are several small houses in town. Forage around town using rocks and lighted pinecones to keep warm while you gather reeds and study to get to where you can make a few clothing items. I've totally taken this route in the past and it's really not that difficult.
Adelewhy

Return to Help!