It's the little things.... things I wish I knew sooner!

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

It's the little things.... things I wish I knew sooner!

Postby Opallaur » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:37 pm

List of things that might make another newbs life better:

The mini map can be used to catch Tumble weeds and salamanders. Right clicking their icon in the mini map allows you to follow them making it much easier to catch them.

When levelling Proficentcies, ( not talking skills) which ever full line you click gets two levels of advancement, the other full lines get only 1!

When working with building signs, if you just add materials to the sign and not hit the build button, those materials will decay after a time. Always hit the build button.

A fence and gate are totally useless if you do not have a lock and key for it, ditto for house structures!! Locks are separate items you must buy or make

No there is no Public Anvil in Providence.

Please add to this list if you have other tips you wish you knew sooner.
Last edited by Opallaur on Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Opallaur

Re: It's the little things.... things I wish I knew sooner!

Postby TotalyMeow » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:09 pm

If popular enough, I will make a dedicated thread. I've thought about it before but it's hard to know what isn't obvious when you've been playing Salem as long as I.
Community Manager for Mortal Moments Inc.

Icon wrote:This isn't Farmville with fighting, its Mortal Kombat with corn.
TotalyMeow

Postby grimkid » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:30 pm

i have been playing this game for a while now and i just found out about the thing with the minimap. thanks!
grimkid

Postby ZoddAlmighty » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:40 pm

Some rare items count as their regular counterparts.
So, do not use fine leather to craft a fishing pole :D
ZoddAlmighty

Postby grimkid » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:46 pm

do not keep lime and granite in inventory when you need to use stone(for a stone wall for example)
grimkid

Postby saffgee » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:19 am

Be careful when paving - the order the items are taken is somewhat random sometimes (ie bone, hay, etc)

..and new for craving - don't absent mindedly eat bile restore foods before you satisfy cravings as sometimes the groups match and you waste 3 easy points.... :oops:
saffgee
Customer

Postby MaxPlanck » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:15 am

In terms of grabbing goods for paving and walls from inventory; it pulls the latest item added to your inventory.
So while it may seem random that when you pave you get random items but if you grab 50 hay then 50 granite and go and pave you will use all 50 granite first.

The same goes for stone walls. All you need to do is grab your lime/granite FIRST then grab all of the Rubble/Stone for the other material and when you go to put stone in it will use the Rubble/Stone first as that was the latest added to inventory.

As for proficiencies, It actually tells you in the tutorial that this happens; gaining a bonus to all maxed out but not +2 vs. the one you clicked.

The public anvil in providence was stolen by Heffernan when salvaging was first added because Heff is a trash player and he needed that measly 2-3 pig iron and also to ruin the game for others cause he is the offspawn of Claeyt.
MaxPlanck
Customer

Postby Kindred » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:39 am

1. Take an alt and invest a decent amount of time into it to where you don't want to lose it.
2. Risk and lose your life in a dangerous situation in pvp.

Get used to that real adrenaline rush when your life is in danger. So many people experience that for the first time on their mains in real pvp and just end up jerking into walls and objects and dying pitifully.
You don't want that to happen.
Kindred

Postby Telcular » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:10 am

If you play alot, butterbug refreshers is a good way to recover some inspiration early on.

Don´t expect your first base to be a permanent one, you will almost guaranteed find a better place later on (especially when you can also find the areas you can place mines at).

For recovering biles, picking alot of nuts (and roasting them) is a good early food.

Save up your money for a claim! If you have storage containers unclaimed, the chance is high that passerbys will loot anything remotely valuable.

Don´t butcher too much within a short time unless you got a butchers knife, it adds insanity to do so barehanded, and early on its a pain to get rid of madness.

If you meet other players in the wild, always expect they want to kill you, stay on your guard.

While foraging, if you get an inspirational with 7 uses with 4-digits in several Proficiencies, you found yourself a rare item. If you need silver, look on the trade forum for trusted traders who may be intrested in it.

Stay away from snakes unless youre very confident in your stomping, 1 bite and you´re poisoned.

Cricket team (made with 11 crickets) is a good early-to-mid game inspirational to get your hunting skills started.

Bookmark the wiki. There is alot of less-obvious things in this game, even if its slow on updating, it´s a very good source of info.
Telcular

Postby Heffernan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:50 am

if you see a Well in the wilderness try to SALVAGE it, if it lets you salvage or tells you you cant salvage it its a real well, else its a well event, throw 20-30silver in it and get a wish, if u "wish for wealth" by right clicking it u get like 1-2k silver.
Heffernan

Next

Return to Help!