Just died - please explain

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Re: Just died - please explain

Postby Ronch » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:30 pm

lachlaan wrote:A mentor system already exists in-game. If you give me stuff I'd otherwise despise farming myself I will advise you on the in-game mechanics I am familiar with, and at least try to guide you towards solutions for ones i'm not familiar with. Keep in mind most of the more experienced players know how to get stuff in a more efficient manner than yourself so you'll have to work your butt off to get someone's interest.

Good, good, nothing wrong with doing it that way either.

gustavohvg wrote:Many of us already mentor people. In general a good post presenting yourself (like he did on this thread) and asking help will suffice to receive a PM recruiting a char for a town with some people mentoring

Thanks, I edited my previous post to include:
An official mentor system that gives incentives and attractive perks to experienced players who mentor a certain amount or number of new players.
Reviresco wrote:I log into this game and have fun.
Ronch

Postby catote2 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:40 pm

Dear Ronch, those were words of comfort, thank you. I have just checked out some of those youtube videos (despite my firm self-promise to never enter the game again), and they are indeed quite good. So while a lot of the community seem rather hostile (like the killer posting pics and bragging about it here - later deleted) and every single player in-game have either stolen from me, knocked me out, destroyed my leanto, destroyed my timber piles or outright killed me, it's nice to meet also some kind people. Playing alone as a new player seems like a waste of time. But together it could make sense. Allow me to think about it. But thanks either way. And indeed, it's an awesome crafting game, I would rank it the 2nd best over a career of 30 years of gaming.
catote2

Postby Ronch » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:53 pm

:D :D :D

...and yeah, I saw those post too before they were deleted.
But honestly it takes those players with that style of game play to make this game even more thrilling and interesting, you will see what I mean if you decide to stick around.
(although I agree trolling new players on the forums is childish and going a bit over-board)

I hope you do decide to stay ...now is a good time to get started in this game for several reasons that are not so obvious.
Ronch

Postby Judaism » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:37 am

catote2 wrote:Dear Ronch, those were words of comfort, thank you. I have just checked out some of those youtube videos (despite my firm self-promise to never enter the game again), and they are indeed quite good. So while a lot of the community seem rather hostile (like the killer posting pics and bragging about it here - later deleted) and every single player in-game have either stolen from me, knocked me out, destroyed my leanto, destroyed my timber piles or outright killed me, it's nice to meet also some kind people. Playing alone as a new player seems like a waste of time. But together it could make sense. Allow me to think about it. But thanks either way. And indeed, it's an awesome crafting game, I would rank it the 2nd best over a career of 30 years of gaming.

You started off on the temporary PvP server with harsh conditions, you shoudn't expect any different within that environment. Go play on Providence, way better for new players.
JohnCarver wrote:Mortal Moments Inc. is not here to cannibalize the community or piece out the code. We are not here because we wish to institute pay to win models or PvE servers. Quite the contrary.
Judaism
Customer

Postby Dallane » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:46 am

Ronch wrote:An official mentor system that gives incentives and attractive perks to experienced players who mentor a certain amount or number of new players.

This is a terrible thing to have. It also belongs in the idea section if you want a dev to see it. Why force people to mentor? What to stop everyone from just making new accounts and mentoring themselves.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby catote2 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:43 am

Judaism wrote: You started off on the temporary PvP server with harsh conditions, you shoudn't expect any different within that environment. Go play on Providence, way better for new players.

Hrm. I was actually invited by John Carter as per email 28. december: Concord: New server, New journey. Return to the New World. 25% off store ALL weekend. New Trade Order system! Vineyards and Winemaking. Cravings.
Looked absolutely like an invitation to return to the game. Perhaps I missed some small print about this being recommendable only for skilled players :=)
catote2

Postby saffgee » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:50 am

Judaism wrote:You started off on the temporary PvP server with harsh conditions, you shoudn't expect any different within that environment. Go play on Providence, way better for new players.

You also get stomped on Prov if you leave your gates unlocked - although the bigger map would certainly help to lessen the chance of being found I suppose. All servers are PvP though.
saffgee
Customer

Postby Ronch » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:22 am

Dallane wrote:
Ronch wrote:An official mentor system that gives incentives and attractive perks to experienced players who mentor a certain amount or number of new players.

This is a terrible thing to have. It also belongs in the idea section if you want a dev to see it. Why force people to mentor? What to stop everyone from just making new accounts and mentoring themselves.

If I wanted one of the Developers to see it, I would have posted it in the sub-forum that you suggested, thank you for your time and concern.
But, my post was directed elusively at the player's OP here in this help sub-forum until it was quoted by another player on this same thread, and referenced by another, and now quoted again by yourself here too now. So, um...

Also, in the context that it was presented by me on this thread it wasn't a suggestion, and I wont be suggesting it on the suggestion/idea's sub-forum here either.
But now, seeing how enthused you are about the idea, you are more than welcome to carry it over there :lol:

Even so, I do understand what you mean about how it could be abused, so I agree with you there to a certain extent.
But again, if developed by our resident genius John Carver; it could easily be worked out to minimize or even eliminate that possibility of abuse.
Also, where did you get the impression that players would be "forced" into doing something they had no desire to do ?
Last edited by Ronch on Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ronch

Postby Dallane » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:47 am

Ronch wrote:If I wanted one of the Developers to see it, I would have posted it in the sub-forum that you suggested, thank you for your time and concern.
My post was directed elusively at the player's OP here in this help sub-forum until it was quoted by another player on this same thread, and referenced to by another.
Maybe you should give them posting directions or suggestions too ?
Also, in the context that it was presented by me on this thread it wasn't a suggestion, and I wont be suggesting it on the suggestion/idea's sub-forum here either.
...But now, seeing how enthused you are about the idea, you are more than welcome to carry it over there :lol:

I quoted you since it was the most recent post. If anyone actually cares to continue the conversation they can make a thread there.

Ronch wrote:But:
I do understand what you mean about how it could be abused, so I agree with you there to a certain extent.
But again, if developed by our resident genius John Carver it could possibly easily be worked out to minimize or even eliminate that possibility of abuse.
Also, where did you get the impression that players would be "forced" into doing something they had no desire to do ?

If something rewards you in this harsh game players will do it because they feel like they will miss out if they don't. Ask how many accounts heff keeps active in case the server goes down and JC hands out rewards as a sorry. You will constantly see him ask for this when the server is down for a certain amount of time. I'm 100% sure he isn't the only one doing this.

TBH I generally hate anything that is outside of the sandbox. Having a system that forces people to get rewards for interacting with others doesn't really bring anything to the game. Having a real interaction with someone and helping because you want to make friends and build a community means so much more than "hey send me a PM and i'll do what I can to get this reward".

Ronch wrote:...could it possibly be that someone missed their nap and cookie time ? :lol:

Please try and not troll in help. Send me a PM or make a post in the other sections if you want to post stuff like that
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Ronch » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:59 am

Dallane wrote:
I quoted you since it was the most recent post. If anyone actually cares to continue the conversation they can make a thread there.

If something rewards you in this harsh game players will do it because they feel like they will miss out if they don't. Ask how many accounts heff keeps active in case the server goes down and JC hands out rewards as a sorry. You will constantly see him ask for this when the server is down for a certain amount of time. I'm 100% sure he isn't the only one doing this.

TBH I generally hate anything that is outside of the sandbox. Having a system that forces people to get rewards for interacting with others doesn't really bring anything to the game. Having a real interaction with someone and helping because you want to make friends and build a community means so much more than "hey send me a PM and i'll do what I can to get this reward".

Please try and not troll in help. Send me a PM or make a post in the other sections if you want to post stuff like that

Okay I am beginning to understand what you mean about feeling forced, but by definition alone "force" is not the appropriate word, neither is coerced, nor pushed. "Motivated or enticed" to help new players would fit best. But I do get your point there now too.

I agree with your thoughts about sandbox games, totally.
But, my thoughts shared about the mentor system wasn't meant to add anything to the game concerning game play itself.
When I presented that thought it was directed at keeping more new players interested in continuing to play in this harsh and unforgiving but very very fun game.

Also, that is real funny what you revealed about Heff's attempts to horde "im sorry rewards" I'm still laughing.
I am starting to like him more and more every day :mrgreen:

And, yeah I apologize for the quasi-troll sentence at the end of my last post, I edited it out, thank you for taking it as well as you did, I appreciate it.
Ronch

PreviousNext

Return to Help!