Main Died - Cant Unlock Any Gates

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Re: Main Died - Cant Unlock Any Gates

Postby Paradoxyc » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:12 pm

I'm probably in the minority that believes keys should not have ownership
Paradoxyc
Customer

Postby MaxPlanck » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:14 pm

Paradoxyc wrote:I'm probably in the minority that believes keys should not have ownership

Everyone would be forced to use alts to let out there chars and leave no keys on them. Sounds like alot of hassle just to avoid keys being used by enemies.
MaxPlanck
Customer

Postby Paradoxyc » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:18 pm

People just need to be careful then, and if an enemy gets your keys you should change your locks. If they get them when they are seiging then you'll either need to fight back or give up
Paradoxyc
Customer

Postby Rifmaster » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:20 pm

Paradoxyc wrote:People just need to be careful then, and if an enemy gets your keys you should change your locks. If they get them when they are seiging then you'll either need to fight back or give up

Can you actually change locks though? I'm pretty sure you'd have to salvage every door in your town and rebuild them again.
***** that, just sounds like needless hassle, just make brute forcing through walls easier.
Rifmaster

Postby Paradoxyc » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:22 pm

Honestly I don't recall but I'm sure it wouldn't be much trouble to implement. Either way I think keys should be regular items which can be used by anyone. Anyway let's not derail this thread and if anyone wants to continue just message me
Paradoxyc
Customer

Postby MaxPlanck » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:28 pm

Rifmaster wrote:Can you actually change locks though? I'm pretty sure you'd have to salvage every door in your town and rebuild them again.
***** that, just sounds like needless hassle, just make brute forcing through walls easier.

No. You need the master key in your inventory that matches the key required to open that locked gate and then apply a lock & bolt and it changes the gates lock to whatever you attuned the lock & bolt to.
MaxPlanck
Customer

Postby Paradoxyc » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:31 pm

MaxPlanck wrote:
Rifmaster wrote:Can you actually change locks though? I'm pretty sure you'd have to salvage every door in your town and rebuild them again.

No. You need the master key in your inventory that matches the key required to open that locked gate and then apply a lock & bolt and it changes the gates lock to whatever you attuned the lock & bolt to.

Ah yes that's it. But yeah, I think it's fair to have the master key and use copies to bring out. If they're lost then you should be worried
Paradoxyc
Customer

Postby Ronch » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:06 pm

TotalyMeow wrote:
That would be bad for towns.

I'm not very familiar with many of the game's mechanics yet, but I think I can see how this could be abused in a town/village setting.

But, I am still of a strong opinion that the key issue concerning inheritance needs looked at again by the Developer.
It could be a game breaker for a lot more folks than thought.
If I wasn't already hooked it would have broke my desire to continue playing.

I'm not looking to change your game here, Salem is a uniquely awesome game, and I am enjoying every minute that I play and learn more about it.

EDIT:
TotalyMeow wrote:
That would be bad for towns.

Also before relying on this reason to not adjust the key/inheritance issue, I think some data concerning how many players play based at town/villages compared to the how many players play solo on personal claims needs to be taken into consideration.
Last edited by Ronch on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reviresco wrote:I log into this game and have fun.
Ronch

Postby Adelewhy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:18 am

Paradoxyc wrote:I'm probably in the minority that believes keys should not have ownership

I disagree. People could just read wiki and see that it clearly suggests keeping a master key on an alt that won't be killed. It's not really something that needs fixed, the way it works currently is fine if people learn to look into things. Gate smashing and rekeying would become even more of a nuisance if keys had no ownership as every single time a player was killed they'd have to immediately rush home and smash all gates and rekey before the killer got to their base.

For future reference for the OP, below is the suggestion that most people follow in order to avoid inheritance issues. Have a main "gatekeeper" who never leaves your base. He can even do base related things such as farming, gardening, woodworking, even mining but doesn't go outside the gates.

Source: Salem wiki
"Tip: Always make a spare master key to keep on an alt (and attuned to that alt) in case your character is killed and its keyring stolen. If your keys are stolen, you will not be able to enter your own base or open your own locked containers. Everything will have to be broken and rebuilt."
Adelewhy

Postby Paradoxyc » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:27 pm

Adelewhy wrote:

I disagree. People could just read wiki and see that it clearly suggests keeping a master key on an alt that won't be killed. It's not really something that needs fixed, the way it works currently is fine if people learn to look into things. Gate smashing and rekeying would become even more of a nuisance if keys had no ownership as every single time a player was killed they'd have to immediately rush home and smash all gates and rekey before the killer got to their base.

For future reference for the OP, below is the suggestion that most people follow in order to avoid inheritance issues. Have a main "gatekeeper" who never leaves your base. He can even do base related things such as farming, gardening, woodworking, even mining but doesn't go outside the gates.

Source: Salem wiki
"Tip: Always make a spare master key to keep on an alt (and attuned to that alt) in case your character is killed and its keyring stolen. If your keys are stolen, you will not be able to enter your own base or open your own locked containers. Everything will have to be broken and rebuilt."

My statement was more for the likes of raiding than new players having to break gates
Paradoxyc
Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Help!