Black screen after logged in .?

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Re: Black screen after logged in .?

Postby JohnCarver » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:42 am

Anybody able to get a thread dump?

Best achieved by booting the clinet on linux from a terminal and then typing C-\
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby JohnCarver » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:43 am

Alternatively a thread dump produced by this would also move us in the right direction:

https://visualvm.github.io/
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby LOMS » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:59 am

JohnCarver wrote:Still trying to investigate what changes could have caused this. But not ignoring the problem.

Oh, for ***** sake. You've made me popped up on this forum once again.
This long living problem is caused by MTU. And, I do believe, loftar found a solution for this problem and successfully implemented it in HaH, it was mentioned in one of the patches. I think you should ask him about that.

Problems with MTU were never equally reproducible for different ISPs, that's why it's hard to catch and fix them. But almost certainly they can be avoided with VPN-proxies, i.e. https://www.privatetunnel.com
Anyone, who has "black screen" problems shoud give it a try... at least - to confirm problems with MTU.

Have fun.
LOMS

Postby loftar » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:05 am

LOMS wrote:This long living problem is caused by MTU.

If I might say so, I doubt that. I would understand that being the problem if the problem were an indefinite loading screen, but not really with a totally black screen. A totally black screen rather seems to indicate that some thread has hung.
loftar

Postby Brego » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:07 am

LOMS wrote:
JohnCarver wrote:Still trying to investigate what changes could have caused this. But not ignoring the problem.

Oh, for ***** sake. You've made me popped up on this forum once again.
This long living problem is caused by MTU. And, I do believe, loftar found a solution for this problem and successfully implemented it in HaH, it was mentioned in one of the patches. I think you should ask him about that.

Problems with MTU were never equally reproducible for different ISPs, that's why it's hard to catch and fix them. But almost certainly they can be avoided with VPN-proxies, i.e. https://www.privatetunnel.com
Anyone, who has "black screen" problems shoud give it a try... at least - to confirm problems with MTU.

Have fun.

VPN is not work for me ,tried 3 different vpn softwares,not sure about other people .
Madness
I would change everything in places, but to madness, I do not have enough strength
""I Love TRIBE ""
Tha Biddas "Dream Crusher"
Brego

Postby LOMS » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:12 am

loftar wrote:

A totally black screen rather seems to indicate that some thread has hung.

Highly doubt that. You don't put any "loading..." message after logging in. I mean, in the character selection screen, right at the moment when your client is starting to communicate with server over UDP.
That's why these guys have "totally black screen" - because there are nothing in between.
LOMS

Postby Dallane » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:18 am

LOMS wrote:
loftar wrote:

A totally black screen rather seems to indicate that some thread has hung.

Highly doubt that. You don't put any "loading..." message after logging in. I mean, in the character selection screen, right at the moment when your client is starting to communicate with server over UDP.
That's why these guys have "totally black screen" - because there are nothing in between.

Someone should do a tcpdump or wireshark while this is happening. This will tell them if the MTU is not high enough or if something other is going on
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby loftar » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:18 am

LOMS wrote:Highly doubt that. You don't put any "loading..." message after logging in. I mean, in the character selection screen, right at the moment when your client is starting to communicate with server over UDP.

Oh, is this happening directly on login, even before character selection? Sorry, didn't read the whole thread, will look at that.
loftar

Postby JohnCarver » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:20 am

Dallane wrote:Someone should do a tcpdump or wireshark while this is happening. This will tell them if the MTU is not high enough or if something other is going on

This is like heap dumps all over again.

and I just made a wireshark It did nothing.

User has been Banned until Black screen is fixed or footsteps are improved for trolling help -Dallane

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby loftar » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:28 am

Indeed, the tile-info packet had grown large enough to be fragmented at the IP level. There's a case to be made that people whose routers refuse IP fragmentation should get fukked, but at least that makes it easy to fix.
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Help!