(How) Does food heal?

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

(How) Does food heal?

Postby Wenceslaus » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:02 am

Hi guys. New player trying to give this game a chance. Tried to avoid cold snap by building a fireplace. Didn't have enough phlegm. Saw that blackberries increase all humours by 2.5 each. But when I ate one, nothing happened. Repeat several times. Am now frozen. What gives?
Wenceslaus

Re: (How) Does food heal?

Postby Dallane » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:06 am

Wenceslaus wrote:Hi guys. New player trying to give this game a chance. Tried to avoid cold snap by building a fireplace. Didn't have enough phlegm. Saw that blackberries increase all humours by 2.5 each. But when I ate one, nothing happened. Repeat several times. Am now frozen. What gives?

You have to feast them. There is a fork icon under your biles that will put you into feast mode.

For the frozen issue you will have to spawn a alt and thaw the character or get someone to come thaw you out.
Please click this link for a better salem forum experience

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Vigilance » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:13 am

Dallane; I think he's referring to not having enough current biles to do the actual act of constructing the fireplace. If you're eating, and your phlegm isn't refilling, then that's strange. I don't know how freezing works to know if the drain is significant enough that it can nullify regeneration, though.
Suffragium wrote:I love sausages.
Vigilance

Postby Dallane » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:15 am

Vigilance wrote:Dallane; I think he's referring to not having enough current biles to do the actual act of constructing the fireplace. If you're eating, and your phlegm isn't refilling, then that's strange. I don't know how freezing works to know if the drain is significant enough that it can nullify regeneration, though.

Ah ok. I got confused with this then.

Wenceslaus wrote: Saw that blackberries increase all humours by 2.5 each.

Thinking maybe he didn't glutton enough or wasn't feasting.

I've honestly never frozen so I can't comment on if it would slow or stop biles regening.

TotalyMeow wrote: Claeyt's perspective of Salem and what it's about is very different from the devs and in many cases is completely the opposite of what we believe.
Dallane

Postby Wenceslaus » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:18 am

Nevermind, I just checked the "Weird Happenings" topic and see that humours don't regenerate in the cold. It would have been nice to be notified of that when trying to eat, although honestly I don't know what else I could have done.

This game is certainly not for the feint of heart or casual player.

P.S. to Dallane: I actually did try gluttony, but I couldn't do anything else with the fork cursor, and when I clicked to get rid of it, my humours went back to what they were before.
Wenceslaus

Postby vysen » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:20 am

Yes, it stops your biles from regenerating after a certain point.

Build a woodpile, a tinder, light the woodpile and Burn pine cones and hold them. That requires very little biles.

Wenceslaus wrote:Nevermind, I just checked the "Weird Happenings" topic and see that humours don't regenerate in the cold. It would have been nice to be notified of that when trying to eat, although honestly I don't know what else I could have done.

This game is certainly not for the feint of heart or casual player.

P.S. to Dallane: I actually did try gluttony, but I couldn't do anything else with the fork cursor, and when I clicked to get rid of it, my humours went back to what they were before.

No the tooltip hints at this and in a not so vague way. Read a little more critically as they pop up as they act to warn you of these things. Just because you dismissed it or paid little mind doesn’t mean it is the mechanics fault.
vysen

Postby Wenceslaus » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:31 am

The tooltip for blackberries (still) says 2.5 to all humours, and nothing about not working in the cold. (It does say something about reducing some cherry/blueberry icon by 50% with a 50% chance in gluttony mode.)
Wenceslaus

Postby vysen » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:42 am

Wenceslaus wrote:The tooltip for blackberries (still) says 2.5 to all humours, and nothing about not working in the cold. (It does say something about reducing some cherry/blueberry icon by 50% with a 50% chance in gluttony mode.)

When you first encounter the cold a pop up box appears giving you lots of little tidbits of info and advice to overcome whatever it is you’ve just encountered for the first time. You can find these tool tips for future reference after they’ve appeared in the bottom right menu.

If you’ve still no idea what I am referring to then you definitely clicked past the box entirely without reading.
vysen

Postby Wenceslaus » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:57 am

"You feel your body temperature dropping as the icy winds penetrate to your bones. Hypothermia causes your cells to stop regenerating and your limbs to stiffen as your body begins to shut down. Get inside or put on some warmer clothes."

That one? Yes I saw it. Still nothing about food not healing.
Wenceslaus

Postby Dallane » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:58 am

Hypothermia causes your cells to stop regenerating

Dallane

Next

Return to Help!