Steep learning fine, but this is madness!

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Re: Steep learning fine, but this is madness!

Postby Adelewhy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:29 am

Uriah54 wrote:
TotalyMeow wrote:
Uriah54 wrote:Grateful for the prompt replies, but I ran out of humours before I could learn "needle and thread". There is not enough time to make clothes, let alone a building or broth.

You don't need Needle and Thread, you just need Patches and Rags. You might even manage to make clothes before leaving the tutorial, if there are enough reeds present in your tutorial instance (iirc, they don't respawn so you can get lucky or unlucky with what you get).

Another problem: cannot teleport as "Trial by Fire" somewhere near. No idea what this is - looked it up and still not too sure. Seems to be something players use to besiege other players.

Not trying to be mean but you seriously have the worst luck. Your new character ended up near a TBF? Time to move. You best bet is to build a fireplace (takes rocks) and warm several stones it in. Place the stones in your inventory, turn on the "waste" button feature (allows you to see the TBF highlighed) and walk until you are outside the TBF and make a new leantoo. Then you'll be free to port. You can gather stuff along the way to rank patchwork and rags and the stones will slow down the hypothermia. JC listed what what works to combat hypothermia but I'll relist it for you really quick:

Hypothermia Minor Rework
*Players will now warm up if carrying something warm in their hand. Items currently able to eminate warmth from your hand are torches and flaming pinecones. Every 30 seconds you should see gains from this.
*New Inspirational Heated Stone. Created by leaving stones in a fireplace.
*Players may carry around heated up stones in their inventory which will also keep them warm when traveling.
*Fireplaces now take 30 seconds to 'heat up'.
*Fireplaces and PilesofWood now help mitigate the effects of hypthermia.

Some quick stats/facts about the mechanics for those who may want to copy it into wikis or what not. A Holding a Torch is half as effect of standing by a fireplace, and may not be enough to completely counteract the effects but will surely slow them depending on the severity of the cold snap and your elevation. Keeping (4 heated) stones in your inventory is the effect of carrying one torch. Keeping 8 is the effect of standing by a fireplace. Keeping 12 is the effect of both and should counter even the most harsh conditions. Even carrying 1 though makes a difference towards slowing down the effects.

Uriah54 wrote: Or is this "Trial by Fire" unusual? I have no idea.

I'm not a developer so I can't say with 100% positivity but with as big as Provo map is I do believe it would be rare to just so happen to spawn in the middle of a TBF.

Also a fireplace is only 10 stones. You can pick up any type of stone off the ground including smooth stones and flint to make it. You can fill it with tree branches if need be. Light it with a tinder drill which is only 2 branches and 3 leaves. Sometimes tinder drills break, that's normal, just try again. You can also heat smooth stones, flint and regular stones in the fireplace. Honestly I think you're just having a rough start. And this game is sort about learning things the hard way. I found out about a cougar by being knocked out and then camped by one. It's a hardknock life.. hang in there, you'll get it if you keep trying.
Adelewhy

Postby grapefruitv » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:42 am

There is a burning fire at Providence, so you may also consider leaving TBF's range to teleport there.
grapefruitv

Postby Uriah54 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:11 am

Thank you grapefruitv - once more into the breach! If I freeze before I can get a fire going, I'll just try again.

Edit

Progress! Wandered for miles, found some stones. Built a fireplace. No tinder - pine trees for miles. Wander again, found leaves head back to fireplace, make fire drill, go to light fire. No phlegm, and unable to eat. Can't travel. Can't eat. Can't study. Time to write a short note and settle down for the long sleep. I read that Hypothermia can last a week. Not really an incentive to return.

May I suggest that giving a new player a choice of starting places is not really much use? You don't know what is good or what is bad. I now know that if it is freezing some nearby stones and leaves are useful, but that is after dying twice and doing a fair bit of reading and moaning. I suspect most noobs would have quit.

Also, I don't know how to dismantle my lean-to and move it somewhere out of range of this "Trial by Fire". I am sure I can work it out in time, but time is not something I have. Less than 30 mins to death by freezing, and less than half that before all recovery of phlegm and bile is gone. A learning curve is supposed to be a curve, not a door slammed shut minutes into a game. Not all players will return when they feel that newcomers are actively discouraged.

But persistence is my middle name. Uriah Sadbottom the Third will set off for the New World! If he dies too, then it may be back to Albion Online for me.
Uriah54

Postby grimkid » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:49 am

Hi!
Usually a big part of the materials you need you can find by scavenging in the wild.
You can port back to your leanto, and socut around, find some stones(maybe chip some stones from a boulder) pick up some branches from any tree, and use a tinder to light a fire in a fire place.
for the first part of the game(early game) it is recommended to set up your basic needs to survive(some clothes) in order for you not to die, and afterwards go off into the wild and scout. By doing that you will get everything you need at the beginneing in order to: heals humours, study , build tools, gather money, etc.
Good luck!
grimkid

Postby JohnCarver » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:05 am

Uriah54 wrote:Progress! Wandered for miles, found some stones.
You can chip boulders. You shouldn't have had to go too far to find a boulder and get some stones.

Uriah54 wrote: Built a fireplace. No tinder - pine trees for miles.
Woodchoppings can be used for tinder. So just split a wood block and you would have been fine here. The debuff has plenty of time to just chop down one of those trees and have tinder for days.

Uriah54 wrote: Wander again, found leaves head back to fireplace, make fire drill, go to light fire. No phlegm, and unable to eat. Can't travel. Can't eat. Can't study. Time to write a short note and settle down for the long sleep. I read that Hypothermia can last a week. Not really an incentive to return.
Hopefully teh previous two hints showed you the errors of your ways.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Adelewhy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:52 am

Uriah54 wrote:Also, I don't know how to dismantle my lean-to and move it somewhere out of range of this "Trial by Fire".

You don't. You can't take down a leanto you're currently "homesteaded" too. You need the skill "survival skills" which you should have learned in the tutorial to rebuild your leanto elsewhere and right click it to "make homestead". Also grass is tinder. There is usually grass everywhere. And the biome with the pine trees usually has random stacks of wood that you can chop easily (unlike a tree or log). If this character dies before you can move the leantoo, I suggest NOT inheriting and just starting fresh. You can gather all the things you need from the tutorial now that you know what you need. Inheriting will drop you in the game at the exact same leanto with less skills then you would have if you had just gotten out of the tutorial. Honestly you're just having a really bad start. It's not nearly as difficult as it seems. Being under a TBF while being clueless has you at a disadvantage. Now that you have more knowledge you can prepare a little better. Attempt to make clothing in the tutorial and if you cant get just enough reeds, don't sweat it.. just once you spawn at your leanto, immediately warp to town and head over to the river or beach front and you can easily gather enough reeds.
Adelewhy

Postby Uriah54 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:44 am

To all who have put up with my travails and offered assistance, thankyou..

My third attempt has been successful. Mainly due to my not leaving the intro area until I had loaded up 10 stones and enough tinder to light most of NW Canada. I tried to learn Patches and Rags but not enough reeds for Needlework.

I think I may have made it on my second attempt had it not been for all the time I spent trying to work out the "Trial by Fire" block, and the fact that there were no stones for miles. (No, not even ones I could chip). Unfortunately I did not know that splitting a wood block would give me a tinder substitute: normally I would have found out in time, but time was a little short. With Hypothermia, one does not have the luxury of experimentation.

So now I have a fire going, I have hot rocks in my pack and have learned Patches and Rags. I have found one crow feather - only 24 to go and I'll have cloak! I am reluctant to chase a crow as I have a vague memory of when I played before of being killed or knocked out by a rabbit. Until I get a bit more comfortable, I''ll just carry my pet rocks around. They are an inspiration to me.

All is good, but I would suggest a couple of things.

One, consider more explicit warnings/instructions re hypothermia in the intro. In fact, if there is a cold snap, don't let newbies leave without some means of survival. You will lose too many new players if they cannot work out how to stop dying in 15 minutes. It is Ok to have a brief note about hypo, but I am sure that many, like me, assume that it will be simple to avoid it, or that you have a lot of time to get things in order. As it is, I was wandering around getting to know the game and by the time I realised what was going on, I could not eat. Too late for anything but running for Providence, and I did not know what a building looked like on the map. I died finding out.

Two, try to make sure that newbies are not set up in an area affected by "Trial by Fire". I have no idea if this would be difficult, but the little caption does not help when you have less than 30 mins experience. All you know is you can't travel and don't know why. What I read about it in the forum did not help much - I still have no idea what I would need to do to escape. When combined with hypothermia, it can be extremely frustrating.

I will try not to post here on a regular basis. I mean I worked out how to make a fire - don't do the logical thing and put the branch in the middle of the fireplace, balance it on the rim. I did worry I was going to freeze again, but I survived that!
Uriah54

Postby Adelewhy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:59 am

Congrats on success!
Adelewhy

Postby grimkid » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:16 pm

crows do not interact with players, they just fly offf when you approach, and leave behind a feather.
grimkid

Previous

Return to Help!