Frozen

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Frozen

Postby ThiccBones » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:10 am

I experienced the same issue and came here to see the fix. Anybody who jumps in during the cold to start the game immediately has the worst experience ever. Luckily my friend who spent forever in the cemetery getting warmed up can now use a tinder drill on me. Now we are standing in a building afk, waiting to go get jute clothing. Not really a fun experience...
ThiccBones

Re: Frozen

Postby Ronch » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:37 pm

TotalyMeow wrote:The code doesn't currently allow us to make a fireplace or leanto work to heat you up. We're looking at changing that, because adding it will allow us to add quite a few other interesting things related to it that we can't do now, but it'll actually be a major change to be able to do this and so will take awhile. Until then, we've already added a hypothermia help screen in the latest patch that should pop up the first time a player gets the hypothermia debuff, explaining several methods of warming up and staying warm. This should help greatly with people not knowing what to do or what the debuff means.

I am glad to read this.

When I first started actually playing the game several weeks ago now, I to was frozen in one short day.
So I can sympathize with the OP's discouragement (but not their temperament) ...If a good soul in town who heard my plea's wouldn't have thawed me and gave me more thermal points via clothing, then I would probably have quit the game that same day too.
Meaning; if you Developers want to keep a few new players in the game for more than a week to one day, then make this a priority rather than just something waiting on a shelf in the shop.

And, Or, Also:
Maybe having some active played-out instructions about thermals inside of the initial tutorial might help a lot toward resolving this issue too.

I am in no way trying to criticize the game, it's Dev team, or any of it's charming players, I am merely pointing at a bump in the path that has apparently been there for to long.

This game is freaking awesome, I am enjoying every minute of it !
Last edited by Ronch on Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reviresco wrote:I log into this game and have fun.
Ronch

Postby Ronch » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:04 pm

Dallane wrote:You know IPs can be checked right? People are finding it hard to believe that 2 people are posting about the same problem because there really isn't much of a problem in the 1st place. You don't see frozen as a issue on here very often if at all.

You really should of read the help screen that came up. It has everything you need to fix the issue your character was put into.

You are more than welcome to check my IP also.

You might not be seeing much rant about it because it is to the largest extent a new player issue, and discouraged new players are not likely to express their concerns on our forums after they have already decided to not play the game again out-of discouragement.
...So you might just count the Psycho's OP about this subject as a blessing, rather than something to slight or dismiss.

What is behind your overly-defensive stance on this issue ?
Ronch

Postby JohnCarver » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:27 pm

Other than the help info what would be the suggestion to solve?
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Lusewing » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:31 pm

If you could introduce a small area of effect around fires that warms people up I think that would be enough to give people chance to find help - either in game or outside of it. There is often a fire kept burning in town and it is common sense that would draw 'cold' players to try and warm up by it.
Do not argue with idiots, for they will pull you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Lusewing

Postby Ronch » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:02 pm

Lusewings suggestion would totally fix it for everyone, not just new players. I think it would be the best fix for everyone.
But there have been a few other good idea's floated on this thread already too.

I have two suggestions, both of which have probably been offered before:
...1, Start new players off with a meager voucher, a voucher that they can spend on either food or warmer clothes, not both, but their choice (with no hints). They get the voucher the very first time they arrive in Town from their homestead.
...2, Start new players off with a little more thermal in their noob-gear. Not enough to brave higher elevations, but enough to stay thawed in the lowlands.

I would hate to see the temperature feature in the game dissolve over this issue, I don't think it has to, nor even be tweaked.
We just need to accommodate new players on this if we want more of them to prey upon, err I mean play with us.
Ronch

Postby JohnCarver » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:21 pm

Is it good enough to warm them up when 'locked' to a fireplace? Spamming 'heat' over a radius on every fire would certainly lag things up a bit.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby JohnCarver » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:22 pm

NEvermind ignore me. I'm dumb. The buff could clearly look for fireplaces, instead of fireplaces looking for the buff. Thus being a lot less load on the server. Sorry, let me ponder the implementation.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Ronch » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:26 pm

JohnCarver wrote:The buff could clearly look for fireplaces, instead of fireplaces looking for the buff. Thus being a lot less load on the server. Sorry, let me ponder the implementation.

You Sir, are a Genius, a creative Genius !
:D
Ronch

Postby Opallaur » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:07 am

as a brand new player here. this is my 2 cents:

Since I'm new, I read up on this game. Something younger folks don't seem to do, they just download and play. You can't fix this.
What might be nice is someone to write up a nice guide for new folks entitled: What to do when you're new and you start during a cold snap
In it, I'd go through why it's pointless to build a shelter and why it would be a good idea to stay in town.
I'd maybe set up a list of skills to acquire (and maybe the why behind it) during this week in the town.
Give some generally known tips but remember we're talking about folks who don't have most of the skills so think what a real new person would need to survive. (beekeeping is not something I will need my first week or 2 ingame, settling might be useful, as is rags for clothes, swimming, nut harvesting, etc.)

and I second the idea that a fireplace that is lit should have an area of warmth. It just makes sense.

Thank for listening.
Opallaur

Next

Return to Help!