Animal Pregnancy

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Animal Pregnancy

Postby JohnCarver » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:49 pm

Animal Pregnancy is by no means a perfect system but I've had enough PM's and questions about it that I feel its fair to share some things.

*Males can mate with any number of females without penalty.
*The act of mating improves the temperament of both animals. Males slightly more.
*Animals will only mate with something approx 11 tiles or less away.
*If either the male OR female are sick the mating will fail.
*Stillborns are very rare, unless the animal has been cursed by a witch. Then it will be far more likely.
*There is a random chance that the mother will die in child birth for each child. I.E. a larger litter has a higher probability the female will perish in delivery then a smaller litter.

Feel free to use this thread to discuss other aspects of animals and I can help where I find appropriate. I will remind people this is the help forum so no trolling here please.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Re: Animal Pregnancy

Postby lachlaan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:51 pm

You mean up to 11 tiles away? Or do they specifically need long distance boinking?
Exactly 6.022 x 10^23 worth of Lach molecules.
lachlaan
Customer

Postby JohnCarver » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:52 pm

lachlaan wrote:You mean up to 11 tiles away? Or do they specifically need long distance boinking?

Sorry I edited it to be more clear.

Females will seek out their males from an 11 tile radius. Then if they find one suitable, they will go to great lengths to mate with them, which includes climbing over fences and walls. This is because love has no bounds and was in no way a reflection of my lazy coding.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Nsuidara » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:06 am

thx! for nice info!

*Males can mate with any number of females without penalty.

If can i ask, when ? per eating ? per 24h ?

*Stillborns are very rare, unless the animal has been cursed by a witch. Then it will be far more likely.

It's usefull ? for something ? If you can't answer for what ? can you only sign "yes" / "no" ?

*The act of mating improves the temperament of both animals. Males slightly more.

I have right about this, but not always "mate" mean success ?
\(*o*)\ Praying in the Marp Church may reduce the time for update /(*o*)/
Nsuidara
Customer

Postby grapefruitv » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:08 am

Had 5 or 6 stillborns since animals were introduced to the public. All of them are from events/king's stall, so curse is not likely.
That's about 1 per week. Number of females giving birth changed from 3 to 30ish within past 5 weeks.
Does this rate of getting stillborns sounds about right?
grapefruitv

Postby JohnCarver » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:12 am

grapefruitv wrote:Had 5 or 6 stillborns since animals were introduced to the public. All of them are from events/king's stall, so curse is not likely.
That's about 1 per week. Number of females giving birth changed from 3 to 30ish within past 5 weeks.
Does this rate of getting stillborns sounds about right?

I am not well-enough versed in the ways of witchcraft to tell you for sure. But like most systems of Salem most bad things that happen to frequently are more-often witches than RNG.

Nsuidara wrote:If can i ask, when ? per eating ? per 24h ?

Mating is on its own interval not related to feeding. As a general rule of thumb once a female has given birth she will not mate again for at least 6 days. And two healthy, attractive, spunky and young animals should be getting busy with in less than 2 weeks.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Postby Heffernan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:13 am

can we somehow use or eat the stillborns?
Heffernan

Postby Nsuidara » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:15 am

Its chance "react" rope animals have less range then 7+ titles?
\(*o*)\ Praying in the Marp Church may reduce the time for update /(*o*)/
Nsuidara
Customer

Postby nosfirebird » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:16 am

is there any skill that increases chance of more babies per litter?
nosfirebird

Postby JohnCarver » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:16 am

Heffernan wrote:can we somehow use or eat the stillborns?

You want the ability to eat a stillborn animal?

nosfirebird wrote:is there any skill that increases chance of more babies per litter?

No, But I could certain re-write the code to have litters more dynamic based on certain situations. I'm not clear or sold though on exactly how you would go about manipulating litter size.

JohnCarver
Site Admin

Next

Return to Help!