Frozen, now dead?

Ask and answer any and all questions pertaining to Salem's game-play.

Frozen, now dead?

Postby Kjell_Ireheart » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:33 am

Greetings, I started playing again for the first time in ages and ended up getting caught in a flash freeze. Alas, I wasn't able to craft a house in time to warm up and ended up freezing solid. My friend, who didn't have enough humors to help break the cube? decided we'd opt to wait out the flash freeze. Alas, when I tried to log in today I found that I couldn't and I believe I've permanently died as there are no signs of knock out on my character, as per my friend's input.

Checking the Wiki I noticed that freezing didn't mention perma-killing anyone, so could it have been a bug or was I unfortunately ramshackled by some ill-minded ruffian?

Any input on this would be helpful, otherwise, it's time to start fresh!
Kjell_Ireheart

Re: Frozen, now dead?

Postby Taipion » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:03 am

- A lit torch can be used by anyone to unfreeze a character (except itself, if frozen).
- 48h (play time) or so after creating a char, you start gaining insanity which will, if not dealt with, lead to madness and then death.
- Being frozen solid keeps your char logged in, so you gather madness all the time until death.

The wiki should have some info about all that.

[edit:]
- some small houses and the barn in Providence can be entered even without affluence (needed for church and "the den"), inside those buildings you can warm up again
- learn patchwork & rags, gather some reeds on the shore of Providence, weave the reeds for woven reeds count as fibres, and make yourself some basic clothing, in a common coldsnap 2-3 additional clothing items are enough.
It's really easy, if you know what you're doing, you can have a 4-5 additional clothing items before leaving the tutorial or 5 minutes after.
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Kjell_Ireheart » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:11 am

Taipion wrote: -Snip-

Ah, I completely forgot about insanity! Only having just encountered the mechanic with my foray into the west once more. This is likely the cause of death, the character has been frozen for 2-3 days. A pity, those biles were quite a task to attain! Thanks for the input. Hopefully, I can start stripping loot off of my former dead self. Does Salem have a legacy system like Haven & Hearth?
Kjell_Ireheart

Postby Taipion » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:14 am

Kjell_Ireheart wrote:

Ah, I completely forgot about insanity! Only having just encountered the mechanic with my foray into the west once more. This is likely the cause of death, the character has been frozen for 2-3 days. A pity, those biles were quite a task to attain! Thanks for the input. Hopefully, I can start stripping loot off of my former dead self. Does Salem have a legacy system like Haven & Hearth?

When creating a character on the same account, you can inherit (npc where you customize your char before going to the tutorial island).
NOTE that you do not have those 48h madness protection if you inherit!

iirc a direct successor of a char can loot the dead body without skills otherwise needed to do so and without leaving scents.

iirc, claims are also inherited
Need something? Here is my Shop (Including some useful info for new/returning players at the bottom of the first post)
Taipion

Postby Kjell_Ireheart » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:28 am

Taipion wrote:
Kjell_Ireheart wrote:

When creating a character on the same account, you can inherit (npc where you customize your char before going to the tutorial island).
NOTE that you do not have those 48h madness protection if you inherit!

iirc a direct successor of a char can loot the dead body without skills otherwise needed to do so and without leaving scents.

iirc, claims are also inherited

Thanks a bunch! This is going to make things much easier, now all I need to do is learn how to read and bury dead people...
Kjell_Ireheart

Postby JohnCarver » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:18 pm

Kjell_Ireheart wrote:
Thanks a bunch! This is going to make things much easier, now all I need to do is learn how to read and bury dead people...

I quite enjoy the mechanic and feel it is pretty underutilized. Hopefully it works out for you.
ceedat wrote:the overwhelming frustration of these forums and the unnecessarily over complicated game mechanics is what i enjoy about this game most.

Nsuidara wrote:it is a strange and difficult game in no positive way
JohnCarver
Site Admin

Return to Help!